• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    My youngest Grandkid really freaks around bugs. No, Really he does. He will scream, jump backwards or run away faster than if I ask him to help me with the mulching around the house. I even told him about BUG, the acronym for Back Up Gun but it hasn't cured him around insects.

I started carrying a model 36 while serving on the local counties Civil Defense program. In these early days, we met every other Tuesday at the local truck stop and planned our beats. I found a used 36 no dash at Norms in Largo and traded my Ithaca Model 49 for it. I had only bought it a few years earlier in'65 and took a loss but my new to me used 36 was the start of something good. Like many, in the fore coming years, I carried this piece a lot more than I actually practiced with it.

It was not until 1975 when I saw the error in my ways. I had to use it in a situation on a dark night when I had a misfire. Wow did this open my eyes. My primary gun, (Model 29) was in the shop getting a new red ramp sight put in and was using this 36 as my principal piece that week. When I got home (luckily) I stayed up all night tearing into that gun. It turns out that someone had tried to do an action job and butchered up the innards. It went back to Norms with a full disclosure and I traded it for a new one. I learned then and there to NOT carry with a false sense of security. I test everything including my own skill set no matter what equipment I carry. Contrary to what many believe, the JFrame earned a spot as a Primary piece when I want. Every myth I have ever read about the Chief's Special not being accurate or hard to shoot accurately was poppycock. In a recent JFrame match the competitors proved what they can do with the little revolver. I have won or placed well in many snub-nosed matches as these 5 shot wonders are great little shooters.

Now my most recent (32 years ago) was my third model 36 to earn its place into my battery. This -7 meant that it had the newer improved yoke and screw. So after verifying the quality of this piece, I tested it for regulating the sights. They are set with perfect windage and the elevation is right on for 158 grain SAAMI loads. So, my personal friend of many years, secured me a wide hammer and trigger to be installed and tuned by hand fitting the parts for a reliable and smooth action.. Vito has retired from S&W now but we still keep in touch. As part of my Signature package, he also chamfered the front edges of the cylinder for a pre-war look and ease of reholstering. The real sambar stag was hand fitted by my good friend Col Austin of Austin Originals. I will not have a gun with ill fitting stocks. Some folks say I am picky that way. Just me.

So, one exercise we like to do is shoot a steel IPSC target at 100 yards. This gun will do 5 for 5 offhand more times than not. It is fun to ring the gong with a 1.8 inch barrel. I do have a model 60 and while it is nice to carry maintenance free, I prefer the Carbon Steel guns. Blindfolded, I can tell the difference in stainless vs carbon by the vibration feel and sound. Yes, just like my carbon steel knives, they must be cared for but that work is part of the fun in my opinion. A funny note about Stainless Steel that some may not realize. When it was adapted to gun building, it was not without problems. Galling, relaxed tolerances and price was all a negative issue. Since then we have come a long way where, Stainless has been adapted as the go to material and then one can just paint it any color he wants. (Cheaper). I admit, that after a day of shooting my stainless guns, I can relax a few days, weeks and sometimes months before cleaning them. But for me my first love is a gun beautifully finished with professional bluing.

I am asked many times why the exposed hammer on my 36 instead of hammerless versions. I am one for choices. I can choose to shoot single action or double action if I want and many times proved the need to do so. In my StreetWise series events, I have a scenario where one stands POAR (point of aim ready) and at the timer takes a sniper shot at a steel plate some 20 yards away. If the shooter, lets the round go before the timer, then his score is a DNF. He only needs to hit the gong one time but can shoot as many as he needs to. My record with the JFrame with exposed Hammer is .21 (recently set). Fun stuff.

I carry this thing in a Galco IWB that is also over 30 years old. Good leather wears in, not out. The deep cover carry is comforting to me and presentations or re- holstering can be one handed operations. Now as far as .38 Special vs .357 goes, I think the muzzle blast and recoil of the .357 are past the laws of diminished returns in this size gun. I have shot oodles of light weight, hammerless, all calibers of JFrames and this all steel snubby works for me in .38 special loads. As a handloader and with todays defense crafted ammo, the .38 Special is my choice in the small revolver. Many know already, that I have not drank the high capacity Koolaid when it comes to StreetCarry and this little snubby is a great back up to my EDC 1911 or Model 629.

Night stand, glove box, back pocket or dedicated holster, this little banger is hard to beat. At 22 OZ loaded its, balance is good and recoil and recovery are easy on the hands. With an HKS speedloader in my right pocket I feel well equipped and still retain being a minimalist in an overindulged world today. Upon speed reloading, the Special cases come out fast and with authority than the longer, higher pressure brass of the .357.

I have had a great time wringing everything productive out of my equipment and this little piece goes the distance. My Grandson can even have fun with this BUG.

DSC_1419 (2).JPG View attachment 172130 DSC_1418 (2).JPG
    DSC_1422 (2).JPG
    DSC_1423 (2).JPG
    DSC_1424 (2).JPG
    DSC_1425 (2).JPG
    DSC_1426 (2).JPG
    DSC_1432 (2).JPG
    DSC_1434 (2).JPG
    DSC_1435 (2).JPG

See You on the Range

Trapper

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    You make your point very well. I've recently taken to packing my 640 around. It's just so much more comfy than other larger guns. I notice this most when I have to sit in a chair with arms, as I normally would have a holster at the 3, and mags at the 9... I use a cross draw holster, but just to the right of the belt buckle so it's almost like "outside the waist appendix carry". Very fast to yank up the t-shirt and draw. It's been making me want to get a cross draw for my 3 inch 686+ to see how that works out.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I
    You make your point very well. I've recently taken to packing my 640 around. It's just so much more comfy than other larger guns. I notice this most when I have to sit in a chair with arms, as I normally would have a holster at the 3, and mags at the 9... I use a cross draw holster, but just to the right of the belt buckle so it's almost like "outside the waist appendix carry". Very fast to yank up the t-shirt and draw. It's been making me want to get a cross draw for my 3 inch 686+ to see how that works out.
    Id like to see a couple pictures of the 3" 686.....thnx

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    For me it's a toss-up between my M36 and my LCR. The LCR wins by a hair on shootability, but the 36 wins on holster and accessory availability. Many more choices of grips for the 36, and it is usually the one I end up grabbing because I like the holsters I have for it. I have it sitting in a holster on top of my toolbox by the door in case I hear a sound outside when I'm putting the dogs out or if I have to take it with me somewhere.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Very nice write up Jim.
    Looks great with the stag grips.
    I'm currently looking for a 36, 60, or 65 in a 3 inch as I feel the simplicity and ease of carry to be a great benefit.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Very nice write up Jim.
    Looks great with the stag grips.
    I'm currently looking for a 36, 60, or 65 in a 3 inch as I feel the simplicity and ease of carry to be a great benefit.
    I had a 3" 36 that I sold in... shall we say ... desperate times... and now I'm regretting it a LOT.

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    Very nice piece (the article too) LOL
    I too am without a small revolver, at this time, and in this climate doubt that I will be able to replace those that I foolishly parted with in the past.
    Wow, hindsight is always,and I mean always 20/20!
    Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Very nice write-up regarding the S&W Model 36 revolver...when you find one you like, I say stay with it!
    A few years ago, I got into S&W's after I picked up a J-Frame 360J in .38 special...
    Since then, I've picked up 2 more of them including a .22 WMR (as a pocket carry for the wife).
    My favorite carry version is this un-fluted, j-framed 360J in .357 magnum...it's a straight shooter!

r1yDDyP.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom