Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A radio station in Texas is running a poll on the topic of allowing teachers to be armed.

73% of the respondents believe it is a good idea
    26% disagree and don't like armed teachers

Houston radio station KTRH is running a poll this morning.

73% are in favor of teachers being allowed to carry guns.
    26% oppose the measure.

Here is a link: NewsRadio 740 - KTRH

That is a consensus!

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Glad to see a school district finally have the common sense to do what needs to be done. After 9-11 everyone was hot to arm pilots to prevent the repeat. How many school shootings does it take? Weapons retention and training on when an armed response is easy to make. Until every school district goes to this type of policy a teacher is expect to protect children in a gunfight without being armed. How smart is that?
    And we had another today... but (fortunately?) only one student was killed.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    The one that happened today i don't think could have been prevented by someone with a CHL. I don't know all the details, but what I heard on the radio, the shooter targeted the victim then walked out of the school. He was arrested a few blocks away.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    Maybe the shooter would have reconsidered if he thought he might meet armed opposition, or be shot?

Good point. I guess I should have explained further. IMHO, if a BG targets an individual, walks up to him, draws, shoots and leaves, he will be gone before anyone realizes what happened. The element of surprise always gives someone (in this case the BG) an advantage. I also believe that if a BG walks into a place where he is well known to commit a crime like this, he knows he will be caught anyhow, so why would he worry about an armed adult shooting him. Either way he is toast.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    this leads me to a question I had, is it illegal to carry to a community school(IUPUC) or is that a federal gun-free zone?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    this leads me to a question I had, is it illegal to carry to a community school(IUPUC) or is that a federal gun-free zone?

The Federal Gun Free School Zone Act (GFSZ) does not apply to those of us who hold a state-issued CCW/LTC/whatever. Since IN requires you to hold one of these to be permitted to carry either openly or concealed, and since IN law does not regulate colleges and universities in re: carry of firearms, the answer would be "no, it is not illegal."

IANAL and TINLA disclaimers apply.

ETA: This does not mean you would not be suspended, expelled, and/or ejected from the campus. It only means that no law is in place making carrying a firearm there a specific crime in and of itself (unless there is also a K-12 school, preschool, etc. there also.)

Blessings,
    B

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The Federal Gun Free School Zone Act (GFSZ) does not apply to those of us who hold a state-issued CCW/LTC/whatever. Since IN requires you to hold one of these to be permitted to carry either openly or concealed, and since IN law does not regulate colleges and universities in re: carry of firearms, the answer would be "no, it is not illegal."

IANAL and TINLA disclaimers apply.

ETA: This does not mean you would not be suspended, expelled, and/or ejected from the campus. It only means that no law is in place making carrying a firearm there a specific crime in and of itself (unless there is also a K-12 school, preschool, etc. there also.)

Blessings,
    B

Alright, I knew 12th grade and under was a gun-free zone but wasn't clear on college level and up.

OSOK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It is at least nice to see a community trying to make a difference. My brother-in-law is an elementary school teacher here in Indiana. He owns a .45 but cannot even keep it unloaded in his trunk. As seen by the University shootings, our schools are killing fields for those that do not care for human life, nor the 30,000+ gun laws in affect to keep us "safer." I hope the courts do not overturn it and it serves as a model elsewhere.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    And update on this story: Texas Governor Rick Perry has given his thumbs-up to the school district for making this decision:

Texas gov. OK with gun-toting teachers - Education - MSNBC.com

Don't miss the MSNBC poll in that story. It's presently 60% "any teacher should be allowed to decide if he/she needs to carry a gun", 35% "guns have no place in schools", and 5.7% "only in the nation's most dangerous districts."

Thanks for the "heads-up", Pami. :thumbsup:

Blessings,
    B

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Don't miss the MSNBC poll in that story. It's presently 60% "any teacher should be allowed to decide if he/she needs to carry a gun", 35% "guns have no place in schools", and 5.7% "only in the nation's most dangerous districts."

Thanks for the "heads-up", Pami. :thumbsup:

Blessings,
    B
    *gasp* I did miss the poll!

It's 59% 5.7% and 35% for me. (I voted YES YES YES!!) .. well, I would have had such an enthusiastic response actually been an option. :D

Top Bottom