• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I didn't know that there was such a thing. Seems pretty pricey for a bullet proof coffin.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing after reviewing the specs and pictures. For bad weather it's probably ok, but as a true "safe room", I think it'd be pretty easy to contain and secure those that retreated inside, turning it in to a jail cell at best, or a coffin at worst.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    That second one - deployable- has wheels. Climb in and 'they' could just haul you away.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing after reviewing the specs and pictures. For bad weather it's probably ok, but as a true "safe room", I think it'd be pretty easy to contain and secure those that retreated inside, turning it in to a jail cell at best, or a coffin at worst.

Truth. Shouldn't the door to a safe room open in, rather than out?

I could see if you were building this into a home, hiding it within the walls, maybe, but still, the door should not be able to be blocked from opening, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I can stack a lot of block and pour a LOT of concrete for $5000.

FEMA has plans for a poured concrete tornado proof safe room that is a lot bigger than that ballistic closet, and I think the estimated cost is around $3k-4$.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Why do people in tornado alley not like the relatively inexpensive square footage that comes with a basement?

Not every location is basement feasible. LEakage, flooding etc are all issues to consider when putting up a house. Lots of places we looked before buying were like that. Flatlanders don't always have the best drainage around and a slab or crawlspace is perfectly fine even in rainy season but a basement would be an indoor swimming pool.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Any man spends $5-7k on a box spends a night in the box.
    Any man that has not seen Cool Hand Luke spends a night in the box.
    Any man that does not like this clip spends a night in the box.
    [video=youtube;LvwqK2gn3S0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvwqK2gn3S0[/video]

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Why do people in tornado alley not like the relatively inexpensive square footage that comes with a basement?

Because houses fall into the basement bucket and fill it in. If you are in there, you are in the trash compactor.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Honestly, my folks live in SW Missouri and you'd need to dynamite the ground after 3 inches to dig it deep enough. Bedrock is that close. I was looking into one of these for them. Here's a photo of the flying debris I took in Joplin after their tornado. 1/4" of steel will be a lot better than nothing. 255095_10150235762763817_826278816_6932000_4161622_n.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Honestly, my folks live in SW Missouri and you'd need to dynamite the ground after 3 inches to dig it deep enough. Bedrock is that close. I was looking into one of these for them. Here's a photo of the flying debris I took in Joplin after their tornado. 1/4" of steel will be a lot better than nothing. View attachment 46869

I've kinda been looking at some other tornado options.
    I guess this is quick and dirty, and a little less expensive.

Top Bottom