• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Got this in an email and thought I'd share...

Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert. Congress said, "Someone may steal from it at night."

So they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the job.

Then Congress said, "How does the watchman do his job without instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies.

Then Congress said, "How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?" So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One to do the studies and one to write the reports.

Then Congress said, "How are these people going to get paid?" So They created two positions: a time keeper and a payroll officer, then hired two people.

Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable for all of these people?" So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary.

Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one Year and we are $918,000 over budget, we must cutback." So they laid off the night watchman.

NOW slowly, let it sink in.

Quietly, we go like sheep to slaughter.

Does anybody remember the reason given for the establishment of
    the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY..... during the Carter Administration?

Anybody?

Anything?

No?

Didn't think so!

Bottom line. We've spent several hundred billion dollars in support of an agency....the reason for which not one person who reads this can remember!

Ready??
    It was very simple..and at the time, everybody thought it very appropriate.

The Department of Energy was instituted on 8/04/1977,
    TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL.

Hey, pretty efficient, huh???

AND NOW IT'S 2010 -- 33 YEARS LATER -- AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS "NECESSARY" DEPARTMENT IS AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR. IT HAS 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES; AND LOOK AT THE JOB IT HAS DONE! (THIS IS WHERE YOU SLAP YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY, "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?")

33 years ago 30% of our oil consumption was foreign imports. Today 70% of our oil consumption is foreign imports.

Ah, yes -- good old Federal bureaucracy.

NOW, WE HAVE TURNED OVER THE BANKING SYSTEM, HEALTH CARE, AND THE AUTO INDUSTRY TO THE SAME GOVERNMENT?

Hello!! Anybody Home?

NOVEMBER, NOVEMBER, NOVEMBER! Take out the trash!!

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    After reading that I am just so glad the American public voted Obama into the White House to make our effective and efficient government larger. :lmfao::spend::lmfao:I only hope that the trash is thrown out this November, if not, my son will being hearing "how great this country was" stories in the next 4 years.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I was a zygote, possibly still a sperm in 77 but I you did a nice job painting the picture. I've read something similar to this before. It is absolutely alarming the unintended consequences of good intentions. If they were even good intentions to begin with.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm glad somebody mentioned Mr. Carter............The man who used to hold the title of worst president ever.

I wish for all of our sakes that he was still the worst President. Kinda crazy when you think about how bad he was and that we actually have someone even worse!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I was around when DOE started and remember it being staffed with people which other bureaucracies scraped off thier shoes. Lots of articles about how badly it was being run. Now it is huge thanks to typical bureacratic mission creep, involved in everything from toasters to lending money.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I wish for all of our sakes that he was still the worst President. Kinda crazy when you think about how bad he was and that we actually have someone even worse!

Ain't it the truth. This one and his administration + Congress are like STD's. They just keep on giving...

Someone needs to show the GOP one of those Ranger training vid's that everyone likes.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    26 days before we have the chance to change the idiots in Washington, but remember this though, absolute power corrupts absolutely everyone. I think we need to get the harvard educated rich people out and put common joes and janes in power. And put term limits on all public offices. Ie no more life time senators

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Unfortunately, we may try to take out the trash, but the raccoons are just going to tear open the cans and bags and spread the trash around all over the yard.

Top Bottom