• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    has anyone modified their SKS to facilitate in the loading of rounds? the breach of the rifle seems to be absolutely square, and i am thinking putting a taper on it would greatly help it load rounds. the detachable promags 30 round clips only feed out of the left side of the clip, the right side just slams into the square part of the breach.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That is AWESOME! I've had this problem with my Tapco mags too. It's not the mags somuch as it's the HP ammo I've been using. Ok sometimes it's the mag as seen here:

Later that day I went to Wolf Military Classic FMJ and didn't have any problems. Go figure. I think I may do that with mine, but I was thinking more about adding some small ramp instead of grinding the barrel like that...

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    do you think removing any of the breach material, enough to make a ramp, would have any adverse effects on the rounds swelling and not ejecting or any operation in general.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If you extend into the web of the case in sense of the support, then yes, it is bad and can result in a ruined day and comploded rifle.

When you see these feed ramp mods, they are VERY slight, just a rounding of the bottom edge of the chamber, not cutting into the chamber at all. I would highly suggest working the "ramp" area with emory cloth or fine paper before dremeling it. Remember, you cant add material, only take away. Too many folks go nuts with the dremel, then try to sell the gun when they screw up. If you do Dremel, slow and easy, just remember, round the bottom edge, dont take material out of the chamber.

I did this (out of necessity) on my Arsenal AK. It really helped out feeding big time!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Don't take the ramp into the chamber. With a tapered cartridge like the 7.62x39, all you should really need is something to get them started.

Josh <><

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I got a question then.

I've had bullets that feed right into bottom left and bottom right of the reciever wall instead of feeding into the chamber. Wouldn't it just make more sense to add a curved "ramp" on the ledge outside the chamber instead of dremeling into the chamber itself?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    That would be a bandaid fix.

Look for the reason they're not being guided into the chamber as they should be.

FYI, mine will feed empty cases now with no problem. No modification, just made sure the 10 round mag was in spec and cycled a bunch of 'em.

Josh <><

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Josh, you are right. I overlooked the issue he had in the beginning:
    "the detachable promags 30 round clips only feed out of..."

One, Promag sucks. Dont think otherwise, they suck.
    Two, detachable mags. Other than the decent performance of Tapco mags, no detachable mag works 100%. If you have one, then you have a fluke. The factory 10 round mag is the best, what the rifle was designed for and should not be changed. Going tacticool with a detachable mag is counterproductive to what the rifle was designed to do.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    To be clear, I have the Tapco stock and 20rnd mags. That's why I ask about adding a ramp instead of dremeling. I'd hate to ruin a good rifle.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    SavageEagle,

If it were possible to do on a budget, a factory would have figured it out by now.

I think your best bet is to find an AK mag conversion...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    SavageEagle,

If it were possible to do on a budget, a factory would have figured it out by now.

You talk about on a budget, but I thought you had to have the "D" or "M" model to be able to use AK mags. Aren't those conversions about as much as a new rifle? Even then, would that stop the feed issues?

so making some sort of curved ramp would be more expensive than the conversion? Or is it even possible to make permenant?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I've not studied the Russian conversion in any depth; I do know they worked on their hybrid military models.

If you look at the way the SKS feeds, you will notice that the round does not impact the frame of the rifle but rather the bullet sits at the same height as the chamber, when the bolt is pulled back.

The rounds feed from both sides of the magazine. They are guided into the chamber by the sides of the mag well, which taper toward the chamber.

Here is what you need to do to make the rifle feed:

1) Make sure the round to be fed is level with the chamber when the bolt is pulled back and held. If it is not, adjust the feed lips/interrupter/whatever the Commies call it.

2) If the bullet noses are level with the chamber, the next thing to check would be the side it's jamming on. Slooowly let the bolt close on a loaded (but preferably inert) round and watch to see if it's guided all the way into the chamber. If it is not, if it impacts on the side, you'll need to weld up on that side a bit and refinish. This may cause you to have to relieve the bolt carrier or the bolt itself a bit - it shouldn't, but it may.

I'm at a loss as to where I put my digital camera right now. Remind me on Sunday and I'll see if I can't get some pics posted of what I'm saying.

Josh <><

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    To get this working right and reliable would be worth a trip to Wabash come spring! :): I hate to grind/weld/drill/etc into a gun because I can't afford to mess it up. Plus I have little to no experiance with this stuff. Maybe tonight I'll snap some photos of what it does. I think It may be the mags, but I've never tried the fixed mag. I might try the fixed mag if it will fit on the Tapco Stock...

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I've seen rifles with standard 10 round fixed mags in Tapco stocks.

Just FYI, I am not a "professional" gunsmith in that I do not have my license. Just know a few tricks and spend most of my free time tinkering with guns.

Josh <><

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside

may i have more info on this?

i do think part of the problem is that the detachable mags dont have the left side of the rounds up high enough. but still i think its pretty dumb this thing has a completely square breach.

Top Bottom