• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Is there any word of this spilling out into the towns surrounding? My mother lives in dyer.
    To be honest, it's all around her. Calumet City and Hammond are bad, and who knows what tomorrow will bring for Merrillville. If she's near all of the shopping centers up and down Indianapolis Blvd, I'd be a bit concerned.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Well, you also have your mom to think of too Snap. Just me here.
    Yep. I have to do whatever is safer for her, me, and the dogs.

Ordered a security camera for the front door yesterday. It should be here today. Been meaning to for a couple of years, but it seemed like a good time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep. I have to do whatever is safer for her, me, and the dogs.

Ordered a security camera for the front door yesterday. It should be here today. Been meaning to for a couple of years, but it seemed like a good time.

I got one of the Ring doorbell/cameras but returned it because I could never get it to communicate with my wifi. I'd like to have one because I pretty much live on the back deck from April thru October. I have a dinner bell by the garage and a sign on the front door to ring the bell if there's no answer, but a doorbell/camera would work a lot better. My UPS guy likes to ring the dinner bell even if I answer the door. :):

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I got one of the Ring doorbell/cameras but returned it because I could never get it to communicate with my wifi. I'd like to have one because I pretty much live on the back deck from April thru October. I have a dinner bell by the garage and a sign on the front door to ring the bell if there's no answer, but a doorbell/camera would work a lot better. My UPS guy likes to ring the dinner bell even if I answer the door. :):
    I'm happy with the doorbell that we have, and I was afraid that the Ring doorbell would not be loud enough since Mom usually has the TV volume on about 80. So I just got a camera and two Echo shows for the rooms we spend the most time in. The camera communicates with Alexa. It will be kind of cool because I've never had Alexa before.

This is the one I ordered. I like that it uses lithium batteries that last 1-2 years rather than the ones that have to be recharged every couple of weeks. It also has cloud storage included rather than costing an extra monthly fee.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MMZ2LTB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm happy with the doorbell that we have, and I was afraid that the Ring doorbell would not be loud enough since Mom usually has the TV volume on about 80. So I just got a camera and two Echo shows for the rooms we spend the most time in. The camera communicates with Alexa. It will be kind of cool because I've never had Alexa before.

This is the one I ordered. I like that it uses lithium batteries that last 1-2 years rather than the ones that have to be recharged every couple of weeks. It also has cloud storage included rather than costing an extra monthly fee.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MMZ2LTB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks good Snap! Do you have to have Alexa though? It looks like it's required. If so, that's a non-starter for me. Don't have Alexa and never will.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mornin' Coop! Did you use Ring or something else? I don't know why it wouldn't connect with my wifi, even when I was right in the same room with the router.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    That looks good Snap! Do you have to have Alexa though? It looks like it's required. If so, that's a non-starter for me. Don't have Alexa and never will.
    Not sure. You might just be able to use a phone app.

I thought about the Alexa thing and realized that whoever is listening will probably just be bored to death listening to us play yahtzee and watch TV.

This was kind of funny from the Q&A section of the camera product description:

Question:
    Willi be able to converse live with the nsa agents monitoring my devices?

[FONT=&amp]
    Answer:

Tot he customer that says 2 yr battery life is absurd.... not really,depends on usage. This isn't a constant streaming/recording camera. I have the previious version Blink outdoor camera and the batteries have lasted 6 months already. In the location I have it, where the NSA can get the best view, it takes 3-5 video clips per day. I thin kthe NSA tries not to use live view to deplete battery life or it ecomes too obvious. I also have a variety of trail cameras, to be isolated from the NSA, with AA Lithiums taking anywhere from 0 to 20 0photos per day and battery life is more than 2 yrs and counting. Just kidding about the NSA quips above. seeless
    ByVelocity TopContributor: Camping, Pets onMay 11, 2019

[/FONT]

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Mornin' Coop! Did you use Ring or something else? I don't know why it wouldn't connect with my wifi, even when I was right in the same room with the router.

Yep ring. We have it set up with my wife's phone only since she's here daily. My work phone gets tech blocked by my IT dept security goons.

We had a bit of trouble as well connection wise.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County

I thought about the Alexa thing and realized that whoever is listening will probably just be bored to death listening to us play yahtzee and watch TV.

Question:

[FONT=&amp]
    Answer:

Tot he customer that says 2 yr battery life is absurd.... not really,depends on usage. This isn't a constant streaming/recording camera. I have the previious version Blink outdoor camera and the batteries have lasted 6 months already. In the location I have it, where the NSA can get the best view, it takes 3-5 video clips per day. I thin kthe NSA tries not to use live view to deplete battery life or it ecomes too obvious. I also have a variety of trail cameras, to be isolated from the NSA, with AA Lithiums taking anywhere from 0 to 20 0photos per day and battery life is more than 2 yrs and counting. Just kidding about the NSA quips above. seeless

[/FONT]

Alexa is always listening.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Question:

[FONT=&amp]
    Answer:

[/FONT]

I liked that comment too. :): Smartphone app would be okay. I was just concerned because it showed the Alexa enabled screen device and it said "required".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep ring. We have it set up with my wife's phone only since she's here daily. My work phone gets tech blocked by my IT dept security goons.

We had a bit of trouble as well connection wise.

I probably should've called their tech support, but I'm not very patient. If something says it's "plug and play", I expect it to play when I plug it in. :):

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Evansville had a couple hundred or more folks gather at the riverfront in protest Saturday - generally peaceful. Protest moved to the Civic Center/Police main offices and got unruly. Police horse got hit with a rock, crowd dispersed. Late Sunday afternoon I left my downtown office and there were 5-6 folks with signs exercising their civil rights well.

There have been several shootings including a double homicide in the last few days. Unusual for Evansville and very likely gang related. So it's possible the storms of summer gang violence and "protest" could merge(?).

A friend of mine manages a couple retail/service outlets located within Walmmart stores. They have been ordered to shut down immediately and be off the premises by 4:30 p.m. today.

With all that, I think either a 9mm or 7.62x39 braced pistol will be riding to and from work with me. My usual 2.5 mile route passes through some areas which would likely be the epicenter if something started. Going to alter that as well with a longer route via the expressway.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Current sit-rep is demonstrations going on about a mile north of my house. Locked and loaded. Camped out in the living room playing Yahtzee. LMAO

Top Bottom