• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I am considering looking for a single shot rifle preferable .223 Why do I want a single shot rifle.. I have no idea the whole idea of only 1 shot appeals to me. This would be used for target and wood chucks. I don't want to spend a lot but I want to know what to look for. I would like to stay under 200.00 dollars. Is this realistic? Just looking for your :twocents:. Thanks

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You might look into H&R single shots. They're right around your price range and I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about them.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    The only problem is most of the don't have sights...so you will have to get some scope rings and a scope.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I will look into the Handi rifles. I ve looked them up and will go poking around Shipshewana on Sunday to see if there is anything that will fit my fancy. I m not afraid to buy a used gun. I would prefer it be used beings I will be carrying this on my 4 wheeler....

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    The H&R Handi Rifle is talked about at great length, over at the Greybeard Outdoors website. Those folks are H&R fanatics.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php

Mine is a .223 with a fixed 4 power scope. Great working rifle for around the farm.

That's my setup, too. Most accurate rifle I own.

I carry ammo in one of those elastic cuffs that go around the buttstock. It doesn't take long to reload - maybe a second or two longer than a bolt action. It's common to get a second shot off at a fleeing coyote. The Handi-Rifles are good, solid, sturdy rilfes for the money. My .223 definitely prefers bullets under 55 grains when it comes to accuracy.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    The only handi rifle I've shot was the .500 S&W, if it'll hold up to that, a .223 would be pretty sweet in one. For the price, they seem to be pretty nice little rifles.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Mine is an older taper barrel 1/12 twist rifle. It is scary accurate with 38 to 40 grn reloads. Buddy has it right now for pest eradication on the farm.

Just looking at another forum and found this quote about the Handi-Rifle;

"The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments." HANDI RIFLE: The single shot "platform" ?

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Unfortunately the price of a new Handi-rifle is over $250. Add a scope and you're
    getting over $300...Look for used...

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    My deer gun is a .44mag handi-rifle and as said earlier it is extremely accurate. It shoots alot better than I do. I am veryhappy with it I have a 2-7 scope on it and have a buttstock sleeve that holds 8 extra rounds of ammo. It is great.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I found one at Shipshewanna today. It was used the bore was a little dirty but in decent shape. It has a tasco 3x9 silver antler I paid 240.00 I didn't think it was a terrible deal considering. It also ejects the brass. That made me laugh when I tried it. Now Its off to the pond bank and put some rounds though it..

Top Bottom