• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I assumed the word "have" implied "free" at which point F/A is the no-brainer winner! Really.

If "have" means "pay for yourself" then supressor is the no-brianer winner! Really.

If "have" means "with you when the Zombies" arrive, then suppressor.

If "have" means "with you when the hoards of living [fill in your personal nightmare]" arrives, then probably F/A as I would need a force multiplier to deal with "hoards".

Personally, though, if I were to rent something or have to keep, I cannot see a situation where a can of any kind would beat out a BAR. :twocents:

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    If I were just looking for an investment it would definetly be the F/A.
    Realisticly how much am I going to shoot full auto? Hardly ever.
    If the zombies come then yes a F/A would be nice but i would also want to be as accurate as i could. Fireing Full Auto through a 30rd clip do not lead to great accuracy. So i would probably stick to the 3shot burst.

I would use a supressor a whole lot more. It would be a benifit for my kids.
    I can get rid of the neighbors cat (keeps useing my bushes as a litter box).
    Supressor still has a "Cool" factor.
    Get rid of the neighbors cat.
    Can shoot at the inlaws farm without the neighbors complaining about the noise.
    Get rid of the neighbors cat.

Got to be thankful that we are in a state that allows NFA weapons.:patriot:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    If I'm shooting a precision rifle, I'll take the can. True, there's the ballistic crack, but no muzzle flash or excessive concussion.

If I'm shooting something that is underpowered, like the 5.56x45mm, I will take the full auto/burst.

Josh <><

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Your last statement is simply not true based on modern designs. Sorry

OP- Suppressor hands down. Be it rifle or pistol.

Bob
    My thoughts as well. No modern suppressor should negatively effect accuracy unless it is very poorly designed or there is something wrong with it. Sometimes they even improve accuracy.

I'd love to have FA, but if I'm the one buying I'll take the suppressor.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yeah, if I'm paying for it, I'll take the can, actually a couple of them! I'd really like to see a repeal of the FOPA, of course anyone who bought a F/A at several grand wouldn't be that thrilled I'm sure...kinda funny, gunowners not wanting a restriction repealed!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    anyone who bought a F/A at several grand wouldn't be that thrilled I'm sure...kinda funny, gunowners not wanting a restriction repealed!

Absent those who bought strictly for investment purposes (a questionable move to begin with), I think anybody who owns F/A weapons would LOVE to see the Hughes Amendment (1986 MG ban) repealed, regardless of what it did to the value of their guns.

I know I would!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Absent those who bought strictly for investment purposes (a questionable move to begin with), I think anybody who owns F/A weapons would LOVE to see the Hughes Amendment (1986 MG ban) repealed, regardless of what it did to the value of their guns.

I know I would!
    +1 Around the time of the Heller decision there was a poll on ar15.com and many MG owners stated that they'd be disappointed because their guns lost so much value but they'd still be happy because the days of expensive MGs would be over.

AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    If coming to the end times... I'd stick with my can. Precise, under the radar, and effective. When ammo reserves are not a question though, I'd go FA.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    As an owner of both (though not the guns pictured, LOL), I'll say suppressor, hands down.

Why?

Full-auto guns have the "fun factor," but that's about it. They are expensive to acquire, even more expensive to keep fed, you have limited options on places to shoot them (most public ranges and many clubs don't allow F/A) and in any situations short of battlefield combat, they can't do anything my semi-autos can't do as well or better.

Silencers, OTOH, have a pretty high fun factor of their own, but they are also relatively inexpensive to acquire (as Class III toys go), quite versatile (one can can be used on several different platforms), have numerous practical applications (there's no better way to teach a new shooter than on a suppressed .22), and you can shoot them anywhere the host gun is allowed.

My :twocents:

Same here and well said. I could not agree more.

AngryFish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    disadv: Accuracy will still be affected noticeably.

How do you figure that? Most modern silencers are adjustable for POI shift. In my experience "Omega 30 can" I've seen an improvement in accuracy due to the silencer rather than a reduction.

"Unless you think COD4 is right and silencers reduce range and accuracy" :):

Once you get a good can, mount, gun, you can dial it in for repeatable accuracy that is second to none.

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    I think it really does depend on the situation. That being said I think the silencer is generally more advantages than full auto.

Full Auto:
    adv- zombies and other close-combat 'targets'
    disadv- I'll still want to go semi-auto for any targets even remotely out there because accuracy is so greatly affected even by the lowest recoil weapons. Not to mention the lower efficiency in ammo consumption and noise will eliminate any chance of remaining unnoticed.

suppressor:
    adv: With proper tactics, even heavily armed enemies can be eliminated with out detection. Maximum potential for ammo efficiency.
    disadv: Accuracy will still be affected noticeably.

Your disadvantage for silencer is not true. Some cheaper ones have a greater shift between supressed and non supressed groups and most quality ones actually tighten up groups. So accuracy can be off a bit, but you can compensate. Precision tends to go up.

Sorry. Spoke too soon.

Also, I'd take the silencer. I like my silencers a lot. A couple weekends of shooting a MG and you could buy a silencer. You don't spend anymore shooting a silencer than you would without it (well, yeah it is more fun so maybe you do).

Some people can bumpfire fairly accurately from the shoulder so why pay more for that ability! ;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom