• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I picked one of these up day before yesterday. I took it to the range today and loved it:rockwoot:.

I need to figure out how to enhance the sighting system.

A couple ar setups i tried did not really co witness with the irons which would be nice or if i could make them higher that might be ok...

i think the most natural cheek weld is using the lower sights so what other setups are you running to those of you who have this type rifle?

The vortex on there was ok but the front sight in the picture was a little distracting...i wonder if that front sight can come off..

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    A friend of mine has had one for a couple years, not sure if he's ever shot it.

Sig 55X series, if I remember right, need HK height mounts so dots and irons will cowitness

As for the front sight, again, if I remember right, it can be completely removed. Just undo that nut on the side, should pop off

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    ok...looks like it might come off...wasnt sure if it was permanent or not....
    A friend of mine has had one for a couple years, not sure if he's ever shot it.

Sig 55X series, if I remember right, need HK height mounts so dots and irons will cowitness

As for the front sight, again, if I remember right, it can be completely removed. Just undo that nut on the side, should pop off

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I had one not long after they came out. The bolt carrier group is very robust. I sold mine for commonality in my collection. I wanted all of my 5.56/2.23 weapons to accept AR mags. I didn't want to have to stock/buy yet another type of mag, and at the time those mags weren't exactly cheap.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    They arent cheap now at 40 bucks a pop
    I had one not long after they came out. The bolt carrier group is very robust. I sold mine for commonality in my collection. I wanted all of my 5.56/2.23 weapons to accept AR mags. I didn't want to have to stock/buy yet another type of mag, and at the time those mags weren't exactly cheap.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I had an opportunity to buy one a few years back and passed. I still regret that, always thought it was pretty neat rifle.

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I've had one for a few years and have just now gotten around to shooting it. Just recently put a PA Micro with a LaRue LT751 mount on it and am very happy so far, it provides a lower third cowitness with the irons. I don't find the sight picture distracting at all.

ETA: I put a small piece of black electrical tape directly behind the ejection port to keep the brass from striking the receiver and marring it up, seems to be working well so far.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i have plenty of ar15s but i wanted something different...this rifle is very fun to shoot..its been challenging finding information about as it is so uncommon...its a lot like an ak and i like the folding stock...i sold two pistol ar15s to fund it and i have to say i am pretty happy with it so far...i had a vortex sparc ii and discovered the mount systems that came with it will work (i think)...gonna take it out and zero it next weekend... /

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I went with the Sig 556 version, just because the mags are easier to find. But I love the 550 series rifles, it's honestly one of my favorites to shoot. I'm more of an AK fan than AR, so I love the action.

As far as optics go, the Larue LT152 works perfect on a 30mm red dot with the rear diopter sight. I've got an Aimpoint PRO in that setup for mine, and it's becoming my go to rifle when I'm wanting to shoot.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Had one in 1988 (well, 550). Never got it out of the box. I bought it. Put it away and went away and when I came back to it the Stockton Hysteria was in full cry.

I did great on that gun. Two custom Colt 1911s, a Smith .22 and cash. That was a very nice gun, but I should have sat on it longer.

The 550 and the Australian FAL would get me many, many fine guns now.

Great to see them back. I think only 400 or so came in before March '89.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The sights aren't permanent. All you have to do is knock out the roll pin. It's a PITA but worth it if you want to install AR type sights like:https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=222 or Quick Flip Front Sight - SIG 556/556R/522 - A2 : Samson Manufacturing

I had a 556 w/all Swiss parts(bolt carrier, gas block, FCG, barrel) but traded for a M1A Standard since I wanted to standardize all my 5.56 rifles to the AR pattern. My only complaint is that Sig really dropped the ball on these and made them true Sig 55X series of guns instead of the cheaper sights and flimsy furniture. Manufacturing on these have been hit and miss. Firing pins breaking at 3,000rds are some of the failures I've read on these. If you handled a real-deal Sig 55X this would make more sense but there are very few floating around and they are pricey. If I wanted a real deal 55X, I would opt for a Sig 553 and SBR it.

pix544090338.jpg

Top Bottom