• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcwhite4232

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on how the current SIG CEO has, just as he did w/ Kimber, allowed the company's quality to significantly decrease. It appears the older pistols are currently worth more than any--repeat any--new model on the market.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A lot of the older tried and true guns are still functionally fine. It's the quality of machining and finish that have noticeably decreased.

It also seems like 90% of the new products they bring to market haven't made their way through R&D completely. They have lots of issues that need worked out first. Some of the stuff is plain junk.

I haven't bought any Sig guns made in the last 4 years. The last one I bought was my 556 rifle, and I bought that in early '07, after they worked all the bugs out of the production (canted rails, mismatched finish etc).

IMHO, buy the gun from a dealer where you can inspect it first or just don't buy it. Or, you can do like me and boycott Sig on the principle of their decreased quality and poor CS.

Flork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I wouldn't necessarily say he's allowed it to decrease. Our industry has been lucky to have survived so well for so long even in a declining economy. Ron has had to balance the price of the guns with the economy and with material prices going up due to everything considered, I'd say he's done a pretty good job of keeping the price from going through the roof.

Granted Sig's are some of the most expensive guns on the market, but if you look at all the machining involved in making such a complicated gun, I can see where the price comes from. The slides, frames and barrels are extremely well designed and built from some seriously high grade materials. True the Locking Insert is now MIM, which I don't personally like, but with making it a MIM part the factory was able to add a support strut that was nearly impossible to manufacture previously. That support strut prevents the locking insert from reverberating under recoil and maintains frame stability.

Back to the topic at hand.... Sig's Still shoot very well. True the trigger pulls suck, but that's easily fixable with the new products that we at Apex and our friends at GGI are coming out with.

Scott @ Apex

Steven

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Whitley County
    I've been around Sig products since '94 and own several German produced Sport models, P229 Sport, P226 Sport Stock and also a P228 machined in germany and assembled in US around '99. The craftsmanship on them is second to none.

The newly produced US models , in terms of total quality, just aren't up to the old standards. To say it another way, at one time you got what you paid for in a Sig. IMHO that's no longer the case.

I feel that in todays market if a person is looking for that "old" standard of quality at a Sig price point, Look at an H&K produced product.

Just below the Sig price there are a ton of Quality firearms being produced ,Glock, Springfield Armory, S&W, FNH, ect,ect.

Yes , I feel that someone at Sig screwed the pooch , maybe it was that former Kimber guy. :twocents:

frogman342

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    I agree the quality of the new Sigs are not what they use to be. Sig has had some quality control issues over the last few years. I have several and have been fortunate to not have an issue with my Sigs. If you go German, Go H&K. Always great quality.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The newly produced US models , in terms of total quality, just aren't up to the old standards. To say it another way, at one time you got what you paid for in a Sig. IMHO that's no longer the case.

This seems to be the "book" on Sigs.

Per Dr. Gary Roberts: "These days, skip new Sigs, although the older German made Sig 9 mm’s are superb..."
    Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads - M4Carbine.net Forums (toward the bottom of the page.)

A student of mine, last Saturday and Sunday, had multiple malfunctions with his Sig 9mm, which had been back to the factory right after he bought it, because it didn't function right out of the box, brand new--with all three magazines! Ammo was Federal factory FMJ.

MikePapa1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    North of Nashville, Tennessee
    In the last six months I've bought a new 220 and a new 2022. In the six months prior to that I bought a new 250 2Sum and a 238. All of these have been to the quality of my older Sigs and have all functioned flawlessly.

I guess results vary.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I can tell you that the P250 really, really sucks, in my experience. Very crappy trigger (long, hard pull) very VERY inaccurate from a REST. BLEAH!!!. Garbage.

I did like the simple disassembly/ ease of serviceability, the interchangeably/ modularity of the platform, the grip felt great, and it looked great, even the night sights were nice! Kinda like being in a relationship with a smokin' hot chick that has terrible mood swings, won't cook or clean, and is an unadventurous dead fish in the sack. The Sig P250 feels great in the hand, and is pleasing to the eye, but is good for nothing.

Top Bottom