• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikerdave83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Saw the sig mosquito this weekend at the 1500 and resisted the urge to impulse buy and decided to look around online and read some reviews. Problem is the reviews out there online are really mixed. Seems its really hit or miss with having trouble ejecting/cycling. Just wondering if there's any skeeter owners out there willing to share your experience with the gun, or possibly any other 22LR pistols to consider. Mainly just want a little plinker pistol, possibly a pocket sized carry.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If you don't mind using the higher end of the .22LR spectrum it should work fine. Personally, I'd go for something that is known to work well and reliably like a P22.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    I guarantee that you will be a whole lot happier with a Ruger SR-22 than you will be with a SIG Mosquito. The SR-22 works and the Mosquito sorta sometimes works if you use the right ammo and hold your mouth just right. :twocents:

Edited to add: I was in a local gunshop last week while a young couple was looking at a used Mosquito for the wife. After they left I heard the salesperson mention that they had that same Mosquito sold and returned four times...Left me with a bad taste for that gun shop.

Last edited:

Splinter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Darlington,In
    Bought a barely used Mosquito late last summer and kept having ftf/fte (maybe that's why it was barely used). I sent it back to Sig for repair. They reamed the barrel and polished the feed ramp. It is working great now. I love it.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Look at a 226, 229, or your favorite flavor in the "classic" .22 platform. Break it in with a few boxes of CCIs, and it'll run like a scalded dog. THEN buy a centerfire kit for it and have two guns in one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have owned a few of these. Never had the bad experience some have with ammo. I did not run the cheapest of the cheap and never do in any semi-auto .22 as none will be reliable with it.
    I was happy with the last one we had but the wife wanted a GSG 1911 so we would match at the range.......no, she does not dress me. Anymore.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I know three different people who have owned a mosquito over the last couple of years. They all regretted the purchase. None of them still have it.

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    I love sigs. But i HATE the mosquito. it jams unless its spotless clean, the trigger sucks, and i just dont shoot them well. If you are wanting that type of pistol, i would go with the Ruger SR-22, or a Walther P22. However, i would reccomend over all things, a Ruger MKIII

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    For the price there are better 22 pistols out there girlfriend has one and it only likes certain ammo. It only came with one magazine but fit and finish ok.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Buckmark. Turn the sear spring around and you've got a custom trigger. Put a TacSol barrel on it and it's as good as it can get.

InRon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Have had the Mosquito for about a month, put about 500 rounds through it without a single issue. Heard the stories so I started with mini-mags then used Blazers. Got the model with the threaded barrel. Anxious to try it suppressed - if the tax stamp shows up....

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't just say no. I would say #(%@#% NO! lol

My friend bought a Sig Mossy as her first gun. It wasn't long after they first came out, and since it was a Sig we all assumed it would be a nice gun. The problem is that the gun was designed for the Swiss and German market firing Swiss and German loads. It didn't translate well here at all.
    That fracking thing won't even feed the high end .22 LR correctly, and I know we're not the only ones with that problem.
    I know some people like them if they use the high grade .22 LR,
    but if you're paying that much for .22 LR.......what's the point of buying a .22 LR pistol to begin with?
    Go with a Colt 1911-22, a Ruger 22/.45, a Walther P22, M&P .22, or anything like that. Just avoid that Sig Mos like the plague.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I just purchased a Sig Sauer Mosquito.
    The trigger is stiff.
    In safety, You still can pull the trigger and the hammer functions. It did not fire a round.
    The decocker is very stiff.
    It shot great.
    It disassembles quick and easy. After you know it. It assembles easy.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I have a Mosquito that has many thousands of rounds through it. When I bought it, I stripped it completely down, cleaned it thoroughly, and polished up the feedramp. Then I broke it in on MiniMags - probably 500 rounds. It is still a bit picky about ammo, but it ALWAYS works 100% on MiniMags. I've recently found that it is also 100% with Remington Golden Bullets, so now I can enjoy shooting the Mosquito with significantly less outlay. For me, it is a butt-load of fun to shoot, and it will stay a part of my inventory.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I bought one and put 200 plus rounds through it with only one FTF. And that was with the high quality stuff. It ate all of the bulk pack stuff now problem and was actually fun to shoot.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom