• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    My girlfriend decided she wanted to start shooting after I got my glock. Which I was pleased to hear :D. So we went to the 1500 a few weekend ago looking for a .22lr pistol. She said that she wanted a pink gun so we were on a narrow search. As soon as we walked in she saw the pink Sig mosquito siting on the table and had to have it so we ended up taking it home. Once we got it home we decided to test it out. I had some federal .22's siting around for my Marlin 39A. So we loaded up the first clip and sent 10 rounds down range and it jammed up 2 out of the 10 rds. So we repeated the process about 15 more times the first day. Each clip was jamming up more and more each time. So I went back into the house and got some different ammo (CCI Mini Mag's) and it seemed to solve the problem. So we put the gun up untill the next weekend and decided to try it out again, so we loaded some more CCI's and it jammed up a few times out of 150 or so rounds.

I was wondering if ammo was a common problem in this gun. Or if there was something wrong with the gun itself.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    If I remember right, it may be picky on ammo. Check the owners manual regarding ammo choice. It may need higher vel. premium ammo. But I would think CCI would have worked.

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    It cut down the number of jams drastically but I sill don't feel confident enough have her carry it if it isn't going to be working 100% of the time

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    My girlfriend decided she wanted to start shooting after I got my glock. Which I was pleased to hear :D. So we went to the 1500 a few weekend ago looking for a .22lr pistol. She said that she wanted a pink gun so we were on a narrow search. As soon as we walked in she saw the pink Sig mosquito siting on the table and had to have it so we ended up taking it home. Once we got it home we decided to test it out. I had some federal .22's siting around for my Marlin 39A. So we loaded up the first clip and sent 10 rounds down range and it jammed up 2 out of the 10 rds. So we repeated the process about 15 more times the first day. Each clip was jamming up more and more each time. So I went back into the house and got some different ammo (CCI Mini Mag's) and it seemed to solve the problem. So we put the gun up untill the next weekend and decided to try it out again, so we loaded some more CCI's and it jammed up a few times out of 150 or so rounds.

I was wondering if ammo was a common problem in this gun. Or if there was something wrong with the gun itself.

The SIG MOSQUITO are jammers, check the past thread on them, they're having alot of problems:(

gunrott

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Lafayette
    Common problem!!! If you Google Sig Mosquito problem, there will be page after page of people complaining over the same issue. They send two types of springs with it (heavy then a regular on that is in the pistol) use the heavy spring for anything over 1250fps, and the light for anything under. You will have to watch the lube on them also, it will dry out fast

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    mosquitos jam alot regardless. only .22 pistol i have seen be 100 percent reliable is my ruger mk 111 and i couldnt get it to jam if i tried.

read the owners manual though, they come w/ differant recoil springs for tuning and have a long long break in period. clean/lube shoot when it malfunctions some more, clean lube shoot, hope fully w/ enough break in you can get it reliable.

last but not least, dont loose this as a good oportunity to train the proper way for fast malfunction clearing for both you AND your gf.

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I got a Mosquito back in December. It had a paper in the box that said CCI Minimags were the recommended ammo by Sig. I had some jams with all the ammo I shot. CCI's gave me the least trouble, but it still jammed with it. I sold it after shooting a Colt 1911-22 and bought a Colt 1911-22 tactical with rail. No problems with it at all. The guy I sold it to did some work on it and got it to run pretty good.

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Well I can't say I'm glad to hear that it is a common problem but at least I know it is not a faulty gun. And Indy Gun Works we have been working on clearing the gun on jams but she is afraid it will go off on her during the clearing process. Any ideas how to eliminate that fear.

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Yeah I saw that CCI's we recommended so I figured they would be close to jam free but I am finding out otherwise. Thanks everyone for the input.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Well I can't say I'm glad to hear that it is a common problem but at least I know it is not a faulty gun. And Indy Gun Works we have been working on clearing the gun on jams but she is afraid it will go off on her during the clearing process. Any ideas how to eliminate that fear.

She needs to take a class! :D Seriously.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Silly question, did you clean and oil it before first shooting it? Sorry, I had to ask. Many manufacturers will use a grease that is for transportation only and not to be used during firing. So manufacturers ship their stuff so dry that they can't function.

Granted it seems that Sig has a history of issues, but give it a really good cleaning and oil it down, then try it. Also make sure there is no gunk in the mags and that they function smoothly.

Good luck!

Ejmunden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Yes I cleaned it thoroughly as soon as we got it home and I gave it a deep cleaning after we had the problems and tried it again. I re-oiled it and sent more rounds through it and it didn't seem to help at all.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    change the spring and try again. my sig jammed constantly with one spring and runs like a champ with the other with federal bulk pack. the gun should have come with 2 springs

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A friend has the same (non-pink) gun. He had to feed it a steady diet of Mini-Mags and Stingers for a loooong time. It finally runs well, but still needs higher-velocity stuff.

At least she will get good at clearing jams! T

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I always ran CCI Stingers through mine, and cleaned & oiled it about every 100 rounds. If I tried the Federal bulk pack ammo, it had a FTF about every 8 rounds or so.

OTOH, I am *really* good at tap-rack-bang now. I can relate to her fear about the gun going off trying to clear it. The only way I got over that was repetition. Just make extra sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction while clearing the malfunction so it becomes second nature to her!

Lostdutchman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    Lawrence
    I was also able to fire the exact gun EJMunden is talking about (his girlfriend happens to be my sister). I think it might just be a design problem.

slottech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    N.W. IN
    My Wife has a Pink Mosquito. For the first few hundred rounds it jammed about once every couple of mags. I shot the heck out of it for a couple of days. I would clean the chamber & feed ramp often during this time. Ran it kinda dry too. Then a good clean & lube. Also polished the feed ramp. Now it seems pretty reliable with Fed Bulk Pak ammo. Very few jams. When I shoot it, it almost never jams. When my wife shoots it, it jams alittle more often but I think she isn't gripping it tight enough. I'm not sure.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I just got a Mosquito and had the same problem. The chamber seems to be on the tight end of tolerances. I was going to run a .22 chamber reamer through it but then decided to try something else before I did that.

I took some 500 grit emery paper and cut a 2" x 4" strip. I then rolled it tightly so that it would fit in the chamber. I then twisted it in the chamber in the opposite direction from which I rolled it, so it would expand in there and polish the chamber wall evenly. For the final polishing I took a 9mm bore mop on a section of cleaning rod, chucked it up in an electric hand drill, put some chrome polishing paste on the mop, and polished out the chamber. I gave the feed ramp a polishing with a buffing compound and a dremel.

It was about a 15 minute job and now my Mosquito shoots everything I've put in it flawlessly, even bulk pack Remington! (the previous owner said it would absolutely not shoot Remington and I confirmed that within an hour of buying it)
    I hope this helps!!

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    IM not sure where everyone is getting these issues. I bought the threaded barrel model off another INGO member and Neither of us had problems with it. Just run 500 rounds of CCI through it and its good to go.

zqdime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    i use the lightweight spring on mine no matter what I shoot out of it (although I typically shoot mini mags). The only time I've ever had FTF, FTE was when I swaped out the light spring for the heavy one. Even the mini mags couldn't fully cycle the slide every time with the heavy spring in.

Top Bottom