• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Hey guys. I saw a post on facebook from a friend of mine that lives out of state. He posted a picture of a glock mounted under the dash in a (what seems to be) easily accessible, relatively hidden mount.

Are there laws in Indiana that prohibit such a thing?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Nothing prohibiting it. Just make sure you don't forget it there and let someone without a LTCH drive the vehicle.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No, unless you are thinking about mounting a silly shotgun and then you going to get the Jeremy Silly Shotgun Doctrine lecture.

Illinois passed a statute against "secret/hidden compartments" (just don't stand there, pass a law!). In 2008 the Illinois State Supreme Court struck down that statute as being flat out dumb (that's a legal term).:D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    One safety thing.

28002-rollover-accidents-2.jpg

car_rollover.jpg

Keep in mind what could happen during a rollover with your car.
    You dont want a loaded gun flying out of the holster during a car crash.
    I have been in a couple (fake ones in a "rollover car") of rollovers, everything inside the car will hit you, or someone else in the car, in the face as you spin a few times.
    Even if the gun has no round in the chamber or a drop safety or whatever you could still get hit by a thick and heavy piece of metal.Not good.That's like getting hit by a hammer at full speed on the skull.

So make sure the holster is really secured to the car (it should be able to take a couple of G force).
    And make sure the gun is secured in the holster (strap or retention holster).

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    In fact, many cars have some hard plastic under there if you want to mount a holster. Just get a hard plastic holster off of Ebay that will fit your gun, slide under the dash and find something study and with out wires, get the cordless drill and some short screws and you have a nice, secure place to store your weapon.

There is a hard plastic A/C duct under my steering wheel that works great for this. A fairly heavy revolver has never come out when I didn't want it too.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    The NRA store has a strap that you can slide your holster onto it. The strap attaches on to you steering column.
    But like Slyvain said you may not want that firearm flying around the car.

Brando

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm thinking about mounting a hard plastic holster on the transmission hump in my Trailblazer. Seemed like a great place as far as drawing the pistol. Also that sheetmetal will really hold a bolted down holster tight.

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hey guys. I saw a post on facebook from a friend of mine that lives out of state. He posted a picture of a glock mounted under the dash in a (what seems to be) easily accessible, relatively hidden mount.

Are there laws in Indiana that prohibit such a thing?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

It's legal as long as you have your LTCH.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I simply put my handgun under my left leg sometimes when driving...and always when using the drive up ATM. This way I can't forget it and it is easily accessed if needed. With off-body carry comes several drawbacks and additional safety concerns.

Why would you even need to carry a gun around ATM, in case he goes all crazy mad and decided to draw on you? :):

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Here is the picture I saw. Not exactly what I was getting at but it got the wheels turning in my head.

294852_1522729843816_1701692138_742326_769741728_n.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Here is the picture I saw. Not exactly what I was getting at but it got the wheels turning in my head.

Hmmm, want to see the drawstroke on that one. Looks like a Rule #2 problem but may depend on where your feet and legs are.

If you had big ol' feet you may be in trouble. I only wear 11s so I may be OK.:D

Top Bottom