• ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    +1. Exactly the same thing but without the electron device. :D

I use a setup very similar to this. Not a lot of money invested, extremely effective and easy to move in and out of the vehicle with some concealment.

10.jpg

If you still found an inexpensive SKS (or bought one when they were still ~$100) then that might also be a good option.

Another thought? I love my Marlin 60 .22 rifle. Light, high capacity, maneuverable, affordable. In the trunk with a brick of .22, you'll be able to reach out and touch a target effectively. I bought mine used with a cheap tasco at a 1500 around 18 months ago. $75 out the door. All to relive some youthful memories of a Marlin 60.

Representative pic:

Marlin60Mueller2.jpg

Gunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Mooresville
    I keep a Hi-point 9mm rifle in my truck. I'm not a big fan of most Hi-points, but this rifle is pretty good. It's not an AK or an AR, but when your on a pretty tight budget and want the most protection for the money, it's not a bad investment.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Im not a huge fan of the Trunk gun either.... At least at this point. It is not hard to imagine a time in the future though that this may be a very good idea. I hate the Idea of inadvertantly arming criminals though.

I agree with a few of the previous posters though that a relatively simple setup that won't break the bank or your heart if someone gets into your car is important.

I set up shotguns for alot of different folks and everyone has different expectations and needs, A simple reliable shotgun is hard to beat. A used 870 and a good way to carry extra ammo are probably going to be the biggest considerations.

I would recomend a 18" barreled shotgun for obviouse reasons. Folding stock and pistol grips are something I would personally avoid and unless your going to be fighting inside said vehicle are practically worthless.

I would go with a 12" LOP stock as it makes your shotgun a tad more compact and will fit most shooters better anyway. The stock I would choose on a budget would be the Speedfeed IV-S or just shorten your Factory wood.

Lights lasers and other kewl gadgets I would not consider for this shotgun but everyones needs and uses may vary.

The other Item I would haul is a Bandolier.

This one in Particular.
    TacticalShotgunner.com

A good Sling in whatever flavor you prefer there are alot of great options on the Market.

Not only does it allow you extra shotgun Ammo it also allows you two additional pistol magazines,

There are other Items to consider as well but not necessary in My opinion,
    A side saddle would be a good addition providing extra ammo on the gun for faster reloads as well as more ammo all together.

The draw back is a side saddle may limit your storage placed and options for the shotgun.

Many of the Police cruisers use racks that simply don't allow the use of them. and depending on your space for hiding this weapon you may not be able to use it either.

The only other Item I would Personally install is a DMW Safety.
    TacticalShotgunner.com

Just an opion on the use of an AK as a trunk gun I would think that if you were to step out with an AK youd'e not only get the attention of the bad guys but the good guys as well. Most Officers consider AK's a bad guy gun.
    :ar15:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A 12 gauge for a trunk gun is an excellent choice for bunches of reasons.

My wife chose a Winchester 94 carbine in 45 Colt because it is light, short, and unobtrusive slung over her shoulder for the day when she has to walk home from work because her truck electronics are fried.

My choice is a Garand.

If you don't have a long gun nearby at all times, you are not prepared. IMO

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Sounds like a good plan to me, if its hidden I wouldn't worry about having it used on me, once someone gets in my car and tears up my floorboards I'm in trouble already. I'd always go with a shotgun over a mosin or sks.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Stick with the shotgun. More effective then the AR and AK at its intended range which is where you would be if you were to need it in your car. Nothing beats a shotgun for this kind of situation. You won't need to pick people off at 75 yrds if SHTF at your car.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    What bothers me is that cops leave there long guns in there cars when they arn't around them, like when they are parked along the street at there house. I have heard on the news about there cars getting broke into and the guns stolen. The guns are in plain sight and you can see the sling hanging from the roof of the car. The other day I seen a Sargents car (Kokomo) at wal-mart and he had the between the seats gun holder with a AR-15 and shotgun. It sure would be easy for someone to smash the window and grab them!

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    What bothers me is that cops leave there long guns in there cars when they arn't around them, like when they are parked along the street at there house. I have heard on the news about there cars getting broke into and the guns stolen. The guns are in plain sight and you can see the sling hanging from the roof of the car. The other day I seen a Sargents car (Kokomo) at wal-mart and he had the between the seats gun holder with a AR-15 and shotgun. It sure would be easy for someone to smash the window and grab them!

I don't know about this. My friend is a State Trooper and his shotgun is very secure. There has to be a Key or another way to get into it. I will not mention the other way for their safety. But i think you would need a sawzall to get it out if you didnt have the key.

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Not trying to change the subject here, but is it legal to carry a long gun loaded in the truck like that? I'm not up to date on all the laws and this is one that I have been wondering about. I have too thought about keeping a cheap shotgun in the truck but I was discouraged by the thought of theft.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I don't know about this. My friend is a State Trooper and his shotgun is very secure. There has to be a Key or another way to get into it. I will not mention the other way for their safety. But i think you would need a sawzall to get it out if you didnt have the key.

You know they do make cordless grinders and saw-zalls. Right? So how is that any more secure. :twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Not trying to change the subject here, but is it legal to carry a long gun loaded in the truck like that? I'm not up to date on all the laws and this is one that I have been wondering about. I have too thought about keeping a cheap shotgun in the truck but I was discouraged by the thought of theft.

Been do this since I was a kid. I thought everyone carried a rifle in their trucks. :D

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Personally, I keep and M1 Carbine in the truck. It rides just under the front seat on the hump. I figure it will be easier than pumping a shotgun, plus, either of my daughters can handle it. That is just what I am comfortable with.

Top Bottom