• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    This could probably go a couple of places but I am putting it in here because the purpose of it is for SHTF.

I was thinking about keeping a cheap (<$150), 12 gauge 18'' barrel in my explorer for a SHTF situation. I have a sort of “hidden” compartment under the rear seat where I could keep it. My thinking is that you never know when SHTF is going to happen and just having a handgun is going to be insufficient. I would prefer the AR-15 but keeping a $1000+ rifle in a vehicle exposed to the elements and thieves seems like a bad idea. I figure a good 12g would help me get back to my AR-15 or could be used in a pinch. And if stolen or destroy while in my vehicle I am only out $150.

The only issue I see with this is it will not be secured and could be stolen and/or used against me. However, someone would have to have owned an explorer before to even know where it is at and how to access it. The average BG breaking into my vehicle could steal everything in my vehicle and most like will not find the shotgun.

Also, I would not have quick access to it; it would take about 20 seconds to retrieve it. Which would require getting out of the vehicle, so while driving it would have no benefit to me. But if things were starting to get crazy, I could get out and grab it, causing me to be better protected than with my glock or 1911. Also, it would mean always having access to a shotgun if I am staying over a my GF's or a friend's house.

What are your guys’ thoughts on this, good, bad, pointless?

Would another long gun be better? Say an SKS (this would mean more money at risk) or M38/M44?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    First, I'm not a big fan of "trunk guns" or any guns (long guns or pistols) that are left in the vehicle when the owner is not present. I've known far too many people who have had guns taken during vehicle break-ins (their guns were kept out of sight, too), or have had their car stolen (and thus their gun, as well). I don't need the thought of one of my guns being used on the street by some thug keeping me up at night, thanks.

Second, your chances of needing to access a long gun while in your vehicle are very, VERY remote (the pistol you are carrying should be sufficient in the vast majority of cases), and there are lots of things you are more likely to need that you could spend that $150 on (do you have a spare tire, tire tool, first aid kit, jumper cables, flares, change of clothes, "get-home bag", etc)?

Finally, if you decide to go ahead with it, an inexpensive used Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 12ga with a selection of 00 buck and slugs would be the best choice of the options presented, IMO.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The main reason for a trunk gun is if you have to make a walk home in a SHTF situation OR push back on rioters to encourage their being in some other area than yours. The latter is more likely than anything.

For that I have exactly the setup advised (cheap 870 w/ bandolier of shells):

tg.jpg

Considering that I paid less than any of my pistols on this, and considering the power level available, a trunk shotty is not a bad idea at all. Those Koreans who passed a shotgun between them during the LA riots sure were happy for theirs!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I use a setup very similar to this. Not a lot of money invested, extremely effective and easy to move in and out of the vehicle with some concealment.

10.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    LOL would you like to tell me where I can find a CHEAP AK.

I have been looking for an AK for about a month and for a POS one you still are looking at 600+ right now
    No doubt! As an aside, Truck Vault makes reasonably priced secure gun storage for most trucks, and SUV's, as well as several cars. I had one in my old Exploder, it would carry several long guns, several handguns, a lot of ammo and extras. It was only about 6" high, and was a pull out drawer, and very secure.

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    I have a sort of “hidden” compartment under the rear seat where I could keep it.

The only issue I see with this is it will not be secured and could be stolen and/or used against me. However, someone would have to have owned an explorer before to even know where it is at and how to access it. The average BG breaking into my vehicle could steal everything in my vehicle and most like will not find the shotgun.

Also, I would not have quick access to it; it would take about 20 seconds to retrieve it. Which would require getting out of the vehicle, so while driving it would have no benefit to me. But if things were starting to get crazy, I could get out and grab it, causing me to be better protected than with my glock or 1911.

I know of the "hidden" compartment. You can, I think, secure it with a cable lock around one of the folding struts of the seat. You would then need a key and take longer to bring into action. You could also place it under the seats in the full and up right postion, secured to the folding struts underneath again with a cable lock or secure it then lower the seats on it.

Depending on where you are and what kinda SHTF, you might be better served with extra magazines for your sidearm.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    No doubt! As an aside, Truck Vault makes reasonably priced secure gun storage for most trucks, and SUV's, as well as several cars. I had one in my old Exploder, it would carry several long guns, several handguns, a lot of ammo and extras. It was only about 6" high, and was a pull out drawer, and very secure.

Website says prices starting at $1,400 for an Explorer. Thats a lot to secure a $150 shotgun.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I know of the "hidden" compartment. You can, I think, secure it with a cable lock around one of the folding struts of the seat. You would then need a key and take longer to bring into action. You could also place it under the seats in the full and up right postion, secured to the folding struts underneath again with a cable lock or secure it then lower the seats on it.

Depending on where you are and what kinda SHTF, you might be better served with extra magazines for your sidearm.

Sweet thanks I'll have to check in on that. I have never really used it. I just know that it is there.

I have the extra mags, I was just thinking worst case. There are limitations on how well you can protect yourself with a handgun no matter how much ammo you have. I would rather be over prepared than under.
    I just had been thinking about this lately and wanted to see what others thought about the idea and if other people also had the "truck shotty".

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You are right the "cheap" ones are not so cheap any more. Glad I am set. I have run a shotgun in training with others running Ak's. It sucks. Better than a hand gun, but if others have rifles you are screwed.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    im not sure an AR or AK would be better in all SHTF situations...unless you are adept with the AR, most would be a better shot with a shotgun while defending the home. if you are picking people off at more than 25 yards, then yea, Id like to be holding the AR.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Tac reloads with a shot gun suck in comparision. Better sights, better recoil, higher capacity, etc with other rifles. Still its better than a hand gun.

I think it would be easier to be proficient with an AK, vs a shotgun.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I concur with the single, they can be had at little to no money at estate auctions and such. If my JC Higgins wasn't a "grandpa gun" I would use it as a trunk shotty. I will find one one day that isn't worth anything as it is ugly and use it for such. They are the same thing as a savage so parts are out there.

ballzac86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Southside
    pix3599242078.jpg

What about a kel-tec sub 2000? It folds/collapses down as shown above, and sells for $300 tops, brand new. They come in 9mm and .40...have seen good reviews on them also.

Top Bottom