• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I want to help tomorrow, but Louisville news is pretty much telling folks to STAY AWAY...

Honestly, this is probably the best advice for RIGHT NOW. There are professionals that are trained and plans that are made for emergencies like this. Most people are not trained in dealing with things like downed power lines or mass sanitation or food distribution.. I'd like to load my car up with water and energy bars and head south, but...

Unfortunately, "we" learned a lot from Katrina and I feel that resources are in place ready to help us out. For example, three hours after the tornado hit I was hearing that Task Force One already had boots on the ground. I would really like to help out, but I feel like my money is what is needed the most so that the Salvation Army or Red Cross can replenish their funds for the next time.

Since this is the SHTF forum, how can a guy be prepared for mother nature wiping out his home while he is at work?

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    12030201.jpg

Pic of the Beast.

civicisaye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Very lucky here, storm cells past north and south of us. My wife is from New England so the whole concept of tornadoes is a little off, scared her to death when the sirens came on. We send our prayers to all. If man power is needed please PM me, be more than happy to help.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Prayers out to all family's and rescue workers out there working tonight. My local Fire Dept. responded to help with clean up Thank god it went south of us. Best thing to do right now is to STAY AWAY. Traffic is terrible EMS crews had trouble getting out i directed traffic to get a ambulance loaded with 3 Critical patients (mostly amputated leg and one person with amputated toes.) There are about 8 Fire Departments/Rescue Teams on scene now. So many people were willing to help that it caused more problems than helped. Again prayers are the best thing right now. And donations will always be appreciated. There is a shelter set up and the American Legion in Salem, IN north of Pekin (the area i responded). I'm not sure if there is a place set up to take donations. God Bless everyone.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Since this is the SHTF forum, how can a guy be prepared for mother nature wiping out his home while he is at work?
    I keep my canned goods, a water barrel, and other emergency supplies in my cellar. It stays dry down there, which is important, and all 4 walls are well within the outer edges of the rest of the house. Yesterday we had several emergency bags (which are normally kept up in the living area) already in the cellar in case we had to go there, as well as weapons, ammo, flashlights, lanterns, blankets, coats, tarps, just about everything I have thought about in the last few years as far as emergency goods. Short of being killed, or seriously injured, we would have been fine. I'm trying to figure ways to make the cellar area even more secure from something such as a tornado. Thinking maybe about an in ground shelter out in the yard.

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    I keep the bomb shelter fairly well stocked for times like these. There is about 3 weeks worth of food in there, 100 gallons of water, an extremely well stocked med kit, camping provisions, cloths, 2 shot guns, w AR's, 2 SKS's, some hand guns, and a good stack of ammo. All protected in steel reinforced 10" thick concrete walls. While not good for real long term I call it good for situations like this.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    After a couple days when emergency personnel are done getting people out of the rubble and you can go in to help without getting in their way, the things these people are going to most need, in order of need, are:

1. Bottled Water
    2. Work Gloves - leather
    3. Hand Sanitizer
    4. Paper Towels
    5. Trash bags - preferably the thick mil contractor bags.

These are what I packed in my car to bring to folks when I went down to the Joplin tornado and distributed them out to folks. You can never imagine how much a new, thick pair of work gloves helps out. I'm in a temporary financial bind but once it's freed up I'll be heading down to help out all I can.

This is what I keep reiterating to people over and over. Preparedness is not about the end of the world as we know it from some unlikely, unforeseen event. It is about the end of the town as we know it from the things that happen year after year. Disaster season is upon us guys. Time to prep.

Top Bottom