• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southsider24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2020
    Elkhart
    I've started to accumulate various milsurp guns. Obviously, ammo is difficult to find for these, and pricey. Is it worth it? What is the best way to start?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No. This is the worst time to get components. Components (especially primers) are either made of unobtanium, or the cost is astronomical. ($30/1000 pre pandemic to $80-175/1000 IF you can find them today)

Good luck.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    If you are looking to save money the NO! If you are looking to have fun while not at the range, then start with a good single stage press to see if it is something you would like to invest in. Even before all the pandemic inflated prices started, I never really saved much money. You will always be buying all the cool gadgets and wanting the next best reloading equipment. Is it nice having the components stocked up in order to reload on a rainy day or winter time? Yes! Is there a learning curve? YES! I have been loading for 20 years and still learn to this day. Will the time you spend gathering components, equipment, and time to load save you money? No! Unless you don't value your time. I sometimes think that I shoot to reload and not vice versus. I truly enjoy making my own freedom seeds and learning from others.
    If you decide reloading is something you are looking to move forward with, then reach out to any of us here on INGO. You can also look on YouTube and other Forums BUT buy a good load manual and use published load data to start! Not all info on the net is trustworthy!

I hope this helps you out but just make sure this is something you want to invest in! Now is the worst time to get into reloading due to component availability and pricing.

GSPBirdDog

Southsider24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2020
    Elkhart
    If you are looking to save money the NO! If you are looking to have fun while not at the range, then start with a good single stage press to see if it is something you would like to invest in. Even before all the pandemic inflated prices started, I never really saved much money. You will always be buying all the cool gadgets and wanting the next best reloading equipment. Is it nice having the components stocked up in order to reload on a rainy day or winter time? Yes! Is there a learning curve? YES! I have been loading for 20 years and still learn to this day. Will the time you spend gathering components, equipment, and time to load save you money? No! Unless you don't value your time. I sometimes think that I shoot to reload and not vice versus. I truly enjoy making my own freedom seeds and learning from others.
    If you decide reloading is something you are looking to move forward with, then reach out to any of us here on INGO. You can also look on YouTube and other Forums BUT buy a good load manual and use published load data to start! Not all info on the net is trustworthy!

I hope this helps you out but just make sure this is something you want to invest in! Now is the worst time to get into reloading due to component availability and pricing.

GSPBirdDog
    Thanks for the thoughtful response and info!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Been reloading for 20 years now and this would be a terrible time to start because of components being expensive and hard to find. From what I am seeing it is also a terrible time to be buying ammo.
    I would say that if you are reloading for milsurp the big problem will be brass, hopefully you will have that if you have been shooting your guns. Jim.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yes. Especially if you have a time machine.

Many people say they don't save money. I do. A lot. Some cartridges 'pay' much better than others, and since I like to shoot .45 Colt..$$$.

You do not need fancy equipment. I've loaded for over 20 years now on a Lee turret. I started on a single stage, but quickly moved on to the turret press. I'm on my second one, I finally broke the first one and they didn't make the needed parts any longer. I use a Lee powder thrower and a Franklin scale to verify. The last piece of equipment I bought was a vibrating brass tumbler. Many of my dies were bought used. I bet I don't have over $700 in equipment in total over 20 years.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Like BBI, I save a lot of money loading 9mm. $0.11 vs at least $0.32/round my reloads vs factory.

That said, the ROI should be considered before taking the plunge. If you shoot a LOT, then the ROI might be reasonable. If you don't, a long ROI just reduces your opportunity costs.

I would like to finally move from my single stage to something like a Dillon 550 but I won't unless I see primers become readily available with back to earth prices.

Until then I get what few primers I have loaded into rounds before I can score the next few thousand. I normally have quite some time to decap, size, bell brass while waiting on primers.

But man, pulling the handle once instead of 1 vs 4 times would be nice!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I would say yes. Its a great pass time.
    Yes primers are hard to find but there there. Plan on a hundred bucks for a thousand but that will get you started.
    You won't save a ton of money but with patience you will produce ammo way better than any milsurp. And there is a great feeling when you shoot ammo thats accurate and reliable that you produce yourself.

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Now is a great time, requests for the NRA Reloading class has been at an all time high. We tought the first class when the program came out. Some many people have the time, and see the advantage. Have helped several people get started, find equipment and supplies. Do not need to spend money on either. Find a mentor and share. Have find and loaned lots of stuff. Many Longer term people have not needed any supplies, be prepared. Find a qualified Instructor, get the manuals, and do not trust the on-line and Youtube info.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I started reloading in 2014 for the exact reason you describe...given that, it is absolutely essential that you reload if you really want to enjoy your military surplus rifles.

I started for 7.5x55 because it’s very close to .308...then 7.62x54r. Not long after that, I got into jap guns and started reloading 7.7 and 6.5 for those. Try finding any of those in a store right now.

You’ll accumulate what you need over time when you see it available. In the meantime, do what I did when I first started and nothing was available...READ! Then read some more.

Buy the RCBS rock chucker supreme master kit if it’s still in the classifieds (it’s exactly what I started out with 6 years ago) and pick a single simple pistol or otherwise straight wall cartridge to explore and learn on. From there, determine your comfort level and proceed as you see fit.

Don’t worry about component prices...they’re never coming back to where they were...ever.

What’s important is that you HAVE ammo to shoot. You’ll pay more for that convenience, but it’s better than having a bunch of paper weight milsurps sitting in the corner of your closet collecting dust.

Once you get good at it, get into casting/coating bullets...then necking down and fire forming brass from other calibers...the sky is the limit!

Ask questions!

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    What 76too said. I shoot on a limited budget. Reloading let’s me shoot more for my money. Also, typically handloads shoot better and more accurately than factory ammo. Pre-pandemic I could load match grade ammo for my AR at about half the cost of factory match ammo. I don’t know if that’s true lately. I haven’t shot or loaded much the last year. I have the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit. I added a few small extras, trickle charger, digital scale, baffle for the powder dispenser, case trimmer, chamfer tools. I also added a vibratory tumbler and small ultrasonic washer. The tumbler is all most people need to clean and polish used brass. I probably have $650 in everything (not including dies), but that was maybe 10 years ago. It’s all I need for the volume I shoot and makes nice ammo.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Great question and I of course will say by all means possible get into handloading. The question itself is proof of the acculturation that has happened in the gun world.

For instance, we learned to handload for the experience, quality and fun and at the same time realized that to have any kind of skill set, we had to actually shoot….a lot. The per round price enabled that kind of volume shooting by handloading ammunition was just an added benefit.

It is no secret that today we have evolved into an instant reward people full of shortcuts to make our lives easier. No doubt we have achieved easier but I’m not so sure about better.

The big payoff for me is that I have been less affected by the valleys of our component scale. I have been able to shoot through all four of them because I realized early on that “just in time” production only is efficient when the goods are available. You can’t complete a car without a chip today as many are finding out.

Handloading startup takes money and hard work. To do it all the way it may take harder work to make more money to fund the hobby. By watching flea markets, old timey gun shops, estate sales and auctions, you can start accumulating equipment for less than you think. Be ready when the components come back. They will. Not to precovid prices but not as bad as the gouging is now. Be ready. Learn it all. Prepare. Master your skill set in smithing, History, reloading and actual shooting. Be serious or be content without. It’s your call.

If you decide to forge ahead with a very rewarding hobby, then PM me and I will help you get started.

See you on the range

Trapper

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you remove the hobby/relaxation/fun "feelings", and just want the financial nuts and bolts answers, Dillon has a couple reloading calculators that will easily answer your questions.

Dillon Reloading Calculators
    Played around with some of those. Interesting.

The payback on $600 worth of equipment loading 9mm was just over 5 months at the rate I shoot. Not bad. Though that is comparing to buying factory, not compared to my current single stage setup. Money wouldn't be saved, but time would.

I also did the Reloading Cost calculator inputting my current cost per round and comparing it to paying $100/1K primers.

Each range visit will cost me $14 more than what I am currently experiencing. That doesn't sound too bad until you realize that it's a 60% increase! Ouch. ;)

Still is much lower than shooting factory. Shooting factory has me at $64 per range visit which is a 56% premium over the new world pricing!

I guess I like doing math, lol.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I reload a lot of different calibers, 8mm mauser,7mm mauser, 6-5 swedish, 30 06, 308,3030, 6.5 creedmoor,6.5x284, 7.62x53, 7.62x54, .223, 25 06, 8mm 06, 7.92x33 and a few oddball heavy calibers too this is just rifle reloading, i reload all basic pistol from 32acp to 45 lc. i do not reload 380 anymore as i have no 380 pistols anymore. AS to presses there are 3-dillon550's, a 1050 in auto relegated at this time to 9mm and 40sw. i have 2 mec single stages, a older lee single, a lee turret, and other miscellaneous stuff too. i ave been reloading since the late 70"s remember powder at 1.99 a pound, primers were cheap then too, all my presses have more than paid for themselves many times over, it is a hobby for me and glad i started it when i did. If you have the funds and can find the components i would suggest you reload for your milsurps as you will save money in the long run seeing new milsurp running 35 to 40 bucks for a 20 round box right now which i feel is really high. sourcing brass seems to be a problem right now though on milsurp calibers, good luck with your endeavor if you pursue it. AS a side note i always purchased items in bulk in the past and it has paid off with the higher prices of stuff as of late.

Top Bottom