Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    There's no sense of patriotism anymore where everyone could come together and want to root for the athletes that represent the USA. Everything has become jaded thanks to politics.
    Like the ”American“ (US citizen) athletes that represent another Country. Should not be allowed. Way more prevalent in hockey, but most of those players are not Americans (US citizen) which still bothers me as they are making their fortunes playing on an American (USA) team.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Like the ”American“ (US citizen) athletes that represent another Country. Should not be allowed. Way more prevalent in hockey, but most of those players are not Americans (US citizen) which still bothers me as they are making their fortunes playing on an American (USA) team.
    Are you talking about foreign nationals playing on professional sports teams?

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Per the DOD definition, and in general, I would say yes. More so for any that have temporary legal residency. Does US custody mean jail?
    foreign national
    Any person other than a US citizen, US permanent or temporary legal resident alien, or person in US custody. (US DoD)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Per the DOD definition, and in general, I would say yes. More so for any that have temporary legal residency. Does US custody mean jail?
    foreign national
    Any person other than a US citizen, US permanent or temporary legal resident alien, or person in US custody. (US DoD)
    I'm not trying to quibble over terms. I'm honestly just trying to figure out what you have an issue with.

So, if that is a yes to my last question, why does it upset you that a foreign national would be paid by a professional sports team to play for them?

Honestly, football is the only one I can think of that doesn't have a number of them playing. It's also the only one that is really only in the US. MLB, the NBA, and the NHL all have teams in Canada as well.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Reminds me of that old saying, "If a tree falls in the forest, I do not give a ****."
    That's the correct answer to that philosophical question. When someone brings up that question, I like to ask it a different way. If a bear **** in the woods and there was no one there to smell it, did it really stink? Answer: I don't care.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not trying to quibble over terms. I'm honestly just trying to figure out what you have an issue with.

So, if that is a yes to my last question, why does it upset you that a foreign national would be paid by a professional sports team to play for them?

Honestly, football is the only one I can think of that doesn't have a number of them playing. It's also the only one that is really only in the US. MLB, the NBA, and the NHL all have teams in Canada as well.
    NHL is not in Russia and there are plenty of Russian players. NBA? Lots of Europeans and even some Chinese. Those sports are internationally played. American Football is pretty unique to the US. We play some games in the UK, but our Football game really hasn't caught on in the same way that Basketball and Baseball have caught on internationally.

But either way, it's the same point. Why does it matter if a Russian plays for an NHL team? Or a Croatian plays for the NBA?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I thought Bugzilla's original beef was with naturalized U.S. citizens representing their home country in the Olympics. :scratch: Maybe I misunderstood, but I didn't understand how it morphed into non-citizens playing in professional sports.

This is what I saw:

"Like the ”American“ (US citizen) athletes that represent another Country. Should not be allowed. Way more prevalent in hockey, but most of those players are not Americans (US citizen) which still bothers me as they are making their fortunes playing on an American (USA) team."

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That's the correct answer to that philosophical question. When someone brings up that question, I like to ask it a different way. If a bear **** in the woods and there was no one there to smell it, did it really stink? Answer: I don't care.
    What if the Pope ***** in the woods? Is a bear catholic?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I thought Bugzilla's original beef was with naturalized U.S. citizens representing their home country in the Olympics. :scratch: Maybe I misunderstood, but I didn't understand how it morphed into non-citizens playing in professional sports.

This is what I saw:

"Like the ”American“ (US citizen) athletes that represent another Country. Should not be allowed. Way more prevalent in hockey, but most of those players are not Americans (US citizen) which still bothers me as they are making their fortunes playing on an American (USA) team."
    That is why I asked the question. I did not understand what he was trying to say.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That is correct. Play on an American team, make your fame and fortune on an American team, then represent another country in the Olympics.
    My opinion is meh. Beyond the total lack of interest I have in the Olympics, playing in the Olympics is still a big deal to a lot of athletes. I don't care if they play for whatever country they came from.

Of course I also don't follow any of those sports any of those sports anymore either.

Top Bottom