• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    rhino, yep. But I know what you are saying; it is a balance.

While the only murder I've done involving a shotgun was a .410 deer slug (broke into 3 pieces when entered the heart), I've had several #4 buckshot cases inlcuding one in a heavy leather jacket that demonstrated the effect of #4 buck.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's good to know. The people I know who have shot people with shotguns (and it worked) have all used 00 buck, so I didn't have any comparison other than jello test reports.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Be honest. You ate the jello.

Only some of it. All three blocks were batter-dipped and deep fried. I managed to get two of them down, then I took the third home in a to-go box.

The buckshot made it crunchy, but the #4 gets caught between my teeth.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I have a 590 for HD as well. I have 2 guns setup the same way, and the Mrs. has the basic understanding of the use, but she needs some training. I keep the tube with Hornandy TAP 00 buck and I have a 4-shot Mesa Tactical shell holder on the side with Brenneke Slugs. The tube is downloaded to six, so if I need to add the slug, I can do so quickly.

Last edited:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    10 gauge open hammer 34" side by side, loaded with slugs for home defense.

Just kidding. But the thought of it makes me happy.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I've thought about loading it with the flechette rounds but figured that might get me into some legal trouble afterwards . The whole undue suffering thing .

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dude, you FAIL with Jell-O too? Did you eat a chicken beforehand?

My life is an endless serial of FAILures, sir!

I ate chicken-flavored jello beforehand.

This is a good topic, though. It has gotten me thinking about shotguns again, which I do not do often. They're not my first choice, but you never know what you've going to have to use in a pinch.

The primary weakness that I perceive with my preferred tool (the AR) is limited ability to penetrate intermediate barriers. Sometimes that's good, but sometimes it will prevent rapid solution of an emergent problem. That's where I see 12ga slugs being a handy thing to have available. Will I ever face a situation where 5.56 fails and then I still retain the time and option to switch to a shotgun with slug? I sure hope not, but then I'm the guy who likes to be . . . prepared. Just in case. You never know, right?

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    Shotguns are a great HD and CQB weapon. However I would say that each person who ownes a shotgun regardless of Gauge should know if that load will go through the wall behind the bad guy and hit a sleeping child or guest. Some test have shown that a #6 or 7 shot has the same kinetic energy as a .357 with out going through dry wall.
    If you don't have kids and rarely have guest I'd say go 00 buck. is the way to go. If you do have kids then you may want to rethink your load.
    Also in a close quater firefight. The shot number won't matter. You level a .410 at a intruder loaded with #6 shot and they will retreat or die.
    Go through your home and measure distances from corners,size of rooms. Other things that factor in are do you have an alarm system do you have a Dog or Dogs. Is your home 1 or 2 stories. Do your staires go strait up or do you have a landing are they inclosed or open etc.
    There are lot of questions that can be asked by you the home owner to decide what gauge and what # shot will be best for you in your home.
    God Bless

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    My pastor took a load of number 6 shot high left chest at 4 yards in a home robbery
    he lived....... the classisc rat hole effect. great guy loves to show his scar
    and his glock 23

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    You can take a load of 00 buck to your upper left chest and live...Question is will you still want to fight? I've seen guys get hit with 2 or 3 rounds of 7.62 and still keep moving. The human body can take alot more punishment than what the average person would think.
    Ask your pastor this...Could he have taken another hit from the weapon?
    Combat is 95% luck & 5% skill.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I live in an apartment and my 870 is presently loaded with #8 shot. This shot will not over penetrate and does enough damage to stop most anyone at 10 to 15 feet.

Two shots will make meatloaf out of most any body part. At six feet, the #8s can cut one nasty hole through the body.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    2 3/4" reduced recoil 00 buck with flight control wad. Gathered info from past debates and more reputable sources than myself before making a decision.

^that^

and make mine Federal.

Slugs are very useful for breaching rounds... not that you'd ever need one in a HD scenario, but having a box on hand never hurts.

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Mossberg 930SPX loaded with Remington Express 2 3/4" 00 Buck (9 pellets). Picked up a box of the Magnum 00 Buck (12 pellets) and the Reduced Recoil (8 pellets) but haven't gotten to the range to test them out yet. In any case, the bad guy will be reconsidering after the first shot and definitely DRT after the second.

For those who are using less than 0 Buck, consider what Ol' Painless at The Box O' Truth has to say -
    The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1
    Educational Zone #91 - Let's Talk About Buckshot

I understand the concern about over-penetration issues, especially since I live in a one bedroom apartment. But I'm more concerned about penetrating bad guys than I am penetrating walls.

Top Bottom