Shopping for scopes, where to try out eye relief?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I am sick of fighting the eye relief on my Ruger 10/22's scope. It's a "Nikon Prostaff Rimfire". Not sure what magnification. When it's zoomed in, it's darned difficult to see through.

Where's the best store in Indy (or surrounding states, if need be) to actually look through some glass and get a solid idea of the eye relief each scope possesses?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Even if a scope has decent eye relief (3" or more IMHO) getting it positioned to where you can use it may be a problem.

Straight tube length fore and aft of the scope turret can be limiting in ring placement, as can scope bases with slot amount and or location.

The solution for that is an extension ring.
    I use such a ring on the rear of my Ruger #1's .

When my neck issues made my 4X Leupold Compact (first version- longer tube) too much of a crawl on my Rem 760, I went to a longer tube standard 2-7X which allowed me to position the scope a little more rearward.
    The longer tube section of the 2-7X made for scope back a little, even w rings in same spot on the scope base.

Compact scopes are cool, but not without some limits LOL

My neck has problems so scope setups that used to work when younger, now need moved back a little.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom