• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Also needs to be discussed is that common-carriers basically require overnight shipping. That's expensive.

The cheapest and most expedient (generally) way to ship firearms these days is to go through a local FFL dealer.

USPS shipping of a handgun is about a $20 expense for the FFL. So it should be relatively inexpensive to ship a handgun through them.

bf5565

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Elkhart
    I have never ordered a gun online but plan on doing it here recently. Anyone know of an ffl around the Elkhart Indiana area other then Midwest gun exchange that will freely accept it and do the transfer.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    I have never ordered a gun online but plan on doing it here recently. Anyone know of an ffl around the Elkhart Indiana area other then Midwest gun exchange that will freely accept it and do the transfer.
    That's not exactly what this thread was discussing.

Basically any shop can do the transfer for you, none will do it for free. Call and ask a shop near you, some buyers and retailers will ask for the receiving dealers FFL and it's just courtesy to inform a dealer to expect a delivery.

bf5565

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Elkhart
    That's not exactly what this thread was discussing.

Basically any shop can do the transfer for you, none will do it for free. Call and ask a shop near you, some buyers and retailers will ask for the receiving dealers FFL and it's just courtesy to inform a dealer to expect a delivery.
    I’m apologize. I seen “shipping firearms” and thought it was along those line. So again I apologize for the inconvenience. But thanks for the feedback on ordering online.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    A cheat code on UPS rules is they will take a C&R to set up the account to ship firearms.

In the context of shipping to a gunsmith for repairs, the C&R status of the firearm would be irrelevant.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    A cheat code on UPS rules is they will take a C&R to set up the account to ship firearms.

In the context of shipping to a gunsmith for repairs, the C&R status of the firearm would be irrelevant.
    I might have to go this route. I ship a fair amount to out of state gunsmiths. Didn't even consider getting a C&R.

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    There seems to be a lot of inconsistency even when it’s supposedly allowed. I tried shipping a rifle with a folding stock through USPS and they said it was considered concealable and they refused it. Ending up just using a local gunsmith rather than shipping it to where I was planning to.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    There seems to be a lot of inconsistency even when it’s supposedly allowed. I tried shipping a rifle with a folding stock through USPS and they said it was considered concealable and they refused it. Ending up just using a local gunsmith rather than shipping it to where I was planning to.
    20230223_171923.jpg
    I shipped an AKS-74 with a folding stock USPS. I don't see how a 6½lb 27" (when folded) rifle would be consider concealable under the NFA or GCA. It meets OAL and barrel length requirements to be a rifle. Matter of fact the only definition in the GCA and NFA to mention concealablity is the definition of "AOW," the term is notably absent from "pistol".
    Screenshot_20230425_163755_Chrome.jpg
    USPS doesn't even mention a hard rejection on SBSs and SBRs. It merely states those that "can be concealed on the person" are. It's almost like the rules are arbitrary, made up by whoever at any given time.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    What the **** is sortation?
    Partial solution so far, shipping the Slide to Allen M. Then either driving 5 hours to drop off the frame in person or finding a local person.

So far the slide is all packaged up and will go out Monday, and I am seriously leaning towards the long drive to drop off in person.

Top Bottom