• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    I have came across a few sheets of lead from walls from a doctors office that we are working at. I dont know anything about casting, but was wondering if anyone has ever used this for casting their own bullets and if anyone can give me some information on it? It is in about 4 X 7 foot sheets and maybe 1/8" thick. If it is useful, is there anyone looking for lead around Northwest Indiana or the South Bend area?

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I got some of that a few years ago & it was pure lead (used for xray room),You can use it but you have to mix the proper mix of antimony (linotype) & tin to get the proper hardness ,cant remember the mix ratio

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    From what I understand about this type of lead, it can be used for Muzzleloader and black powder pistol applications for round ball and conicals. It would be too soft for smokeless handgun and rifle bullets. So basically you would need to find someone that's heavily into black powder shooting which I happen to be but unfortunately i'm strapped for cash.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    That's almost pure lead.

If I had the extra money, I'd take it! Awesome for casting balls for muzzleloaders, which really should be pure lead.

Josh

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Well I have 2 sheets and some misc I was thinking about melting down and making cupcakes. with some reading I have found I should be able to do it on the grill, correct? If anyone wants some from around here or south bend area shoot me a pm and we might be able to work something out

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I think pure lead is about 90 cents a pound at the scrap yard if I get it from them. I would think a caster would pay that price and pick it up. If you need to move it find a scrap yard. Yhe yard might give you saw 40 cents might call them. Lead is not something to leave in the house or garage for an extended amount of time.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    I think pure lead is about 90 cents a pound at the scrap yard if I get it from them. I would think a caster would pay that price and pick it up. If you need to move it find a scrap yard. Yhe yard might give you saw 40 cents might call them. Lead is not something to leave in the house or garage for an extended amount of time.

I don't need to move it right now, but it won't be noticed in a corner in the garage. Especially if in something manageable.

(My gagrage isn't a garage, is more a big tool shed with a walkway up the center. We run a construction business and there is no real interaction in there except for searching for tools and parts on occasion)

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm in healthcare and have come across lead sheets. It's good stuff and as others have said it's pure lead! Just a tip... if you cut it with a saw of any type (electric, or good ol' arm power) wear a mask. Lead dust isn't always visible and that is the best way to raise the level of lead in your blood by inhaling the dust into your lungs. FWIW

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Great stuff for black powder, need some work for anything else. Get an accurate weight and cut your best deal with a caster before you take it to a scrap yard, you will walk away with more cash.:)

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Great stuff for black powder, need some work for anything else. Get an accurate weight and cut your best deal with a caster before you take it to a scrap yard, you will walk away with more cash.:)

That was the plan. I need to clean a bit of it up as it was caulked to the walls and get a true weight of it. I want to say I have around 300 pounds once it is cleaned up.

As for cutting, it will be done with a respirator. but I doubt I will need to do much. Nice thing about it is that it was laminated between two sheets of drywall, and we have to remove the second sheet for a finished wall and fill in some holes. All I need to really do is pull out the few nails that were stuck in it and clean the edges and its good to go.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You're a little far away for me for that amount. I have gone that distance for 2000#, best of luck.:)

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    clif I've used a Coleman stove to cast muzzle loader bullets.
    If you melt it down do it outdoors or in a well ventilated area due to the fumes.
    Nice score!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Can't you just ADD some linotype to this pure lead and have lead suitable for handgun bullets

Top Bottom