• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker, but I'm really thinking about the Wicked Edge. Is there anything better?

Last edited:

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I have the uncanny ability to turn any sharp knife into a butter knife! Then I bought & started using the Sharpmaker. That thing is wonderful! I can get my blades as sharp as they came from Spyderco, even the non-Spyderco ones!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I use stones. I used a Spyderco Sharpmaker for a while, but I just couldn't get the hang of it, so I went back to plain old stones and doing everything by hand with no guides. Now my knives are sharp again, and I have the good old knifer's mange on my arm (lol) to show for it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought an Edge Pro Apex and while I had more success with it than trying to use regular stones it still requires a decent amount of proper technique. I sold it and bought the Wicked Edge.

The Wicked Edge makes things extremely easy, doesn't take long to set up and I've been able to get the sharpest blades I've ever worked with it. That said, it isn't perfect and I'd recommend getting an angle finder if you're looking for perfection. The vice only moves in one direction so the angle markings on the arms won't be accurate for every knife. The angle finder allows you to check and make sure you get them where you want them.

There is also a small amount of slop in the "U" joints which attach the stone rods to the arms. This requires a consistent hold and application of pressure to prevent making slight changes to the angle on each stroke. There are mods you can make to correct this but I've had more pressing problems to deal with lately. I might get on it one of these days.

Just a couple of small issues which really aren't difficult to overcome but they do prevent the WE from being 100% out of the box. If you feel like making the drive down you can borrow mine and give it a whirl. It's a lot of money to spend without taking a test drive.

Last edited:

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    I got the basic wicked edge kit, and ended up buying more stones and Im not done buying them yet. Also, as mentioned above, you really need an agle cube, they are about $35. All told I will have over $500 in mine when I get all the stones and strops i want, but theres no way I would ever get my knives this sharp any other way. They do have redesigned arms that may help with the slop that led to somewhat inconsistent results, but I dont know how much they are. Im happy with mine, knives are really sharp and stay that way

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I still find it hard to beat sand paper and a leather strop.

And for the price of one of the "top of the line" sharpeners, I can get more than a lifetime supply of sandpaper....

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Anyone use a worksharp?
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343662765&sr=8-1&keywords=worksharp]Amazon.com: Work Sharp WSKTS Knife and Tool Sharpener: Home Improvement[/ame]

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    I think the Worksharp only does convex edges, If you want a conventional edge I dont think thats the way to go. I wish I had the patience and the time to freehand sharpen, but I havent had much luck with it

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They do have redesigned arms that may help with the slop that led to somewhat inconsistent results, but I dont know how much they are.

Rep incoming for this, I had no idea they had come up with a solution to that problem. It doesn't appear the new arms are available yet but I'll probably pick up a set when they are. I might as well, I'm not sure I've spent enough money on it yet lol.

IMG_1633-1.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I use stones. I used a Spyderco Sharpmaker for a while, but I just couldn't get the hang of it, so I went back to plain old stones and doing everything by hand with no guides. Now my knives are sharp again, and I have the good old knifer's mange on my arm (lol) to show for it.
    Ditto. Stones only for me too. I don't know how anything could be as quick as good stones and a little leather

Top Bottom