• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My buddy was an avid waterfowl/upland guy from SW Minnesota.
    I bought a used 1100 and we were to hunt rabbits in super cold weather.
    He told me to run a certain load, as the 1100's he'd seen, screwed up now and then.
    My loads were not as heavy as he suggested.

Blasted my rabbits (maybe even limited out- was good spot, we did often after that). No hiccups.
    That thing ran whatever field load/target load there was. It had a 21" Remchoke bbl on it (but was not a Special Field model outright).

Have had an 1100 Trap, and pops still has one. No hiccups. Have had 3 other reg 1100's...........no probs, and 5 magnum 12's................one time I had a fail to cycle, and had forgotten to wipe the oil from storage off the magtube. Was hunting doves...........and had taken most of my limit, and the gun went single shot. Filthy. Wiped the mag tube off with my shirt and it ran fine................magnum, single gas port, 1300 FPS target loads.

A little remoil goes a long way.............too much and it's enough to stop a magnum running non mag shells.

Bought a used mag that wouldn't hold the bolt open on last shot all the time. Changed some parts, still did it. Needed new carrier latch. Guy bought it as is.............says it runs fine (had 2 3/4" slug bbl on it- still running heavier action bar assembly due to being a magnum).

They are heavy, they are clunky, and they may be kinda slow...............but they run well for me, always have. Not a shotgunner really, but have burned a couple thousand rounds through 1100 and 870s. Have had others...........but last 10 yrs...............only 870 and 1100.

I'd like a pretty shotgun, something fancy. But I hate missing, so just run what I know works for me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Wingshooting, I prefer a thin wristed shotgun.
    Mossberg pump stuff is super fat IMHO, feels horrible. No prob running them as a slug gun.
    If their autos are comparable in dimension.............no way I'd get one as a do-all.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Gas operated semi auto shot guns do have less felt recoil and are a pleasure to shoot for the most part. I love the FN SLP.

The SLP wouldn't cycle the cheap stuff even with the lighter weight piston in it. Like others have mentioned once you find a load that works they are awesome. .

I had an SLP up until last year when a larger priority came up and I sold it. I loved that shot gun. There is a ultra light piston available for it I think it is the Browning Gold ring piston. Mine cycled all the cheap stuff with it installed. The SLP is the same action as the Browning Gold and Silver and Winchester Super X2 and X3 series shotguns so all parts should interchange. Definitely made a day of shooting high brass a lot more fun.

Now I have since replaced the SLP with two Remmy 870Ps and a VEPR 12 so I have my basses covered on shotguns for a while. But I would never hesitate to recommend the SLP to anyone looking for a good auto shotgun.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My SP-10 is a really effective woods hunting gun, quick follow up shots are no issue and that's saying a lot for the size of the ammo.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Do they have less felt recoil? And are they reliable or do they have feeding issues?

Thanks[/

I am only posting to voice an alternative. If you want a good reliable semi auto talk to a wing / clay shooter. Some here on Ingo have already given some great advice. After shoulder surgery to my shooting shoulder I wanted to take up skeet shooting and hunting small game, several months after my recovery. I had shot a single shot 20 ga all my life, but it kicks somewhat, I however use it for trap shooting as only one round is required at a time, no multi birds in trap.
    I chose to stick with 20 ga but went for value, as I didnt know if I would shoot a lot. Skeet guns can get very expensive. My choice was a Tristar Viper G2. After a brief breakin it has been 100% and I shoot 100 shells a month and my shoulder is not complaining a bit. It is also chambered for 3" shells and I easily handled them too. I like its light weight when I am stalking squirrels, or shooting several rounds of skeet.

I also have a 20 ga TriStar Viper. Bought for my wife and stepson. Haven't shot it a bunch but so far it has done well. If I ever decide to start shooting trap or sporting clays, I am going to look at getting one for myself.

Top Bottom