• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ok. I find a gun at a crime scene. The s/n trace shows you were the last person who bought it from an FFL. I come knock on your door.

Why do you *NEED* a receipt?
    (hint: Because he isnt allowed to drag you down to the station and waterboard you into a confession because: America)

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    You could. Many won’t accept those terms and will not agree to buy from you.
    I actually did the receipt and such when i first sold a couple handguns on here. Buyers had no problem with me writing and their dl info down. I also filled a receipt out when i bought 1. Name, dl number and addy. No big deal. Same info an ffl gets.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ok, that is a good way to look at it, i just assumed if the gun was still in the sellers name, the seller would be suspect #1.

No gun is "in your name" as there is no registry. If I have a s/n, I can learn the last person who bought it *from an FFL* probably. I can at very least learn the first FFL that it was shipped to from the wholesaler/manufacturer and then from there find the first purchaser.

Simply being the purchaser doesn't make you a suspect. Now if ten crime guns come back to you buying them at an FFL you may have an issue with being investigated for straw purchases, but it doesn't make you a suspect in the crime itself.

I could (well, not me any longer, but someone) show up at your door to see if you'd voluntarily say who you sold the gun to. I guess it's conceivable you could be subpoena'd to ask who you sold it to, though I've never seen that occur.

There's a lot more that goes into establishing reasonable suspicion, let alone probable cause, than you were the last one on FFL record buying the gun. That doesn't even prove you owned it when the crime occurred (as, again, it's not 'in your name').

well you would know the rules better than i do. i was just thinking its always a good idea to cover your ass.

I'm not telling you to *not* do this. That's up to you. I am disputing you *NEED* to do it. I've sold very few guns, traded a few, and can't tell you at this point who I sold or traded them to. Well, unless I knew the person from some prior relationship. I know guns I sold to friends, of course.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I actually did the receipt and such when i first sold a couple handguns on here. Buyers had no problem with me writing and their dl info down. I also filled a receipt out when i bought 1. Name, dl number and addy. No big deal. Same info an ffl gets.
    Yep. Some will some won’t.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yep. Some will some won’t.

I won't. You* don't need my DOB and OLN for anything any more than you need my SSN. If you want to see proof of residency, I'll show you my police ID or driver's license, but it stays in my hand and I'm not allowing any photos or information written down. If you want to retain my phone number or email or however we set it up, that's up to you, but I'm not arming you with identity theft seeds. Even if I trust you (and I don't), I don't know your record keeping security, how trustworthy others in your household are, etc.

If I'm selling and you show up in a car with an in state license plate, you've established residency to my satisfaction.

*generic you, not you GFGT specifically

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I won't. You* don't need my DOB and OLN for anything any more than you need my SSN. If you want to see proof of residency, I'll show you my police ID or driver's license, but it stays in my hand and I'm not allowing any photos or information written down. If you want to retain my phone number or email or however we set it up, that's up to you, but I'm not arming you with identity theft seeds. Even if I trust you (and I don't), I don't know your record keeping security, how trustworthy others in your household are, etc.

If I'm selling and you show up in a car with an in state license plate, you've established residency to my satisfaction.

*generic you, not you GFGT specifically
    I’m the same way. If I’m going to be that paranoid why not just go do the transfer through an FFL?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    my ffl charges me $20 for transfers. i dont want to pay it, and the buyer probably doesn't want to either.
    If you still think you NEED a receipt, THIS is the proof you want. And a total CYA. Although it was probably mentioned upthread that you only need to not know they are a prohibited person and dont need to prove they are proper.

But if there are any doubts at all and you want to guarantee a paper trail to feel better, its $20 well spent.

And besides, unless that receipt is notarized, its still your word against theirs.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Looking at an INGO member's Feedback Stats and post count/join date is a good way to evaluate how credible an individual is. Just click on their screen name and the info page comes up. Someone brand new with zero feedback would raise some red flags over a 10 year member with 75 positive feedback reviews and 3000 posts.

Note: Unless it is Printcraft - always be wary of Printcraft. He is sneeky and fast...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Looking at an INGO member's Feedback Stats and post count/join date is a good way to evaluate how credible an individual is. Just click on their screen name and the info page comes up. Someone brand new with zero feedback would raise some red flags over a 10 year member with 75 positive feedback reviews and 3000 posts.

Note: Unless it is Printcraft - always be wary of Printcraft. He is sneeky and fast...

And ALWAYS stipulate he wears pants to the meet-up.
    Never making THAT mistake again.

BMWRich

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What’s $20 for piece of mind?
    I agree.
    And a lot cheaper in the long run than hiring a lawyer each an every time your called into a courtroom, if that possibility occurs.

And all this “I’ve got a gut feeling blah blah blah” don’t mean a hill of beans to me.
    People lie n cheat every single day….husbands, wives,…..and many people of good stature.
    Like BBL……Trust No one….

****So what do I do…..****
    (NOT saying YOU Have too….)
    I‘m outta State,…..and sell to Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan residents.

EDIT::::: AND TO MY ILLINOIS HOME STATE RESIDENTS
    (a whole different subject) to those that matter….

I meet at FFL’s (safety n security for Us both).
    If buyer chooses NOT to meet and do Deal at FFL, so be it….……the Sale/Deal never happens.

FFL also runs the Background check to make sure BOTH “I the Seller and Buyer” are proper/legit and the firearm isn’t stolen.
    So,….Win Win for both Seller n Buyer.
    AND as mentioned before,
    PEACE OF MIND for both Seller n Buyer.

YMMV…

:ingo:

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I agree.
    And a lot cheaper in the long run than hiring a lawyer each an every time your called into a courtroom, if that possibility occurs.

And all this “I’ve got a gut feeling blah blah blah” don’t mean a hill of beans to me.
    People lie n cheat every single day….husbands, wives,…..and many people of good stature.
    Like BBL……Trust No one….

If buyer chooses NOT to meet and do Deal at FFL, so be it….……the Sale/Deal never happens.

FFL also runs the Background check to make sure BOTH “I the Seller and Buyer” are proper/legit and the firearm isn’t stolen.
    AND as mentioned before,

YMMV…

Not like you have any choice but to go that route living in Illinois

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I agree.

Like BBL……Trust No one….

AND as mentioned before,

YMMV…

You HAVE TO meet at an FFL if you sell across state lines.

That said, the OP was discussing within Indiana...

BMWRich

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You HAVE TO meet at an FFL if you sell across state lines.

That said, the OP was discussing within Indiana...
    In State or OUT of State…..I stated what I DO…..

Sorry I had to make a second reply stating that.

My first reply was to explain why an FFL….leaving out sales over state lines which really is a whole ‘nether subject.

Top Bottom