Selling a Weapon: Etiquette and Logistics?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlmx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I have never sold a weapon before, ever. I have a few questions about executing such a transaction.

Would it be OK to arrange to meet in a public location? I really do not want lookers coming to my home. If meeting in a public location, would the seller be required to have a handgun license? (I have applied, but do not have it in my possesion yet).

Should a seller request any ID or documents when selling a handgun?

Would it be easier for me to cut my losses and just trade the thing in for something at a gun shop?

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I have never sold a weapon before, ever. I have a few questions about executing such a transaction.

Would it be OK to arrange to meet in a public location? I really do not want lookers coming to my home. If meeting in a public location, would the seller be required to have a handgun license? (I have applied, but do not have it in my possesion yet).

Should a seller request any ID or documents when selling a handgun?

Would it be easier for me to cut my losses and just trade the thing in for something at a gun shop?

Public locations are the norm from my experiences.

What the seller asks for is up to the seller. They are not obligated to ask for any ID or any other information. As long as the seller feels the buyer is an Indiana resident and a "proper person," nothing else needs done. Some sellers like to see DL, LTCH, and/or do a Bill of Sale for CYA so to speak.

You'd lose a considerable amount of money on a gun shop trade.

arbitrary

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Gun shops can only give you wholesale value so they have room for profit. I buy and sell in parking lots without problem. Don't flash guns around so you don't scare the timid. Search for sell and law here for legal details.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I sold and traded in resturant/gas station parking lots. You can ask for Indiana drivers license or weapon permit, its up to you. It is only illigal if you know the buyer is a felon or has mental health issues, or is an out of state buyer.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Myself and another member here met in a city between where we live. Had lunch at an agreed upon establishment; traded in the parking lot after. No hassle, no problem.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    +1 on the McDonalds parking lot, that where I usually do all my transactions.

Which one? I might want to come over and look for some deals! :D

The parking lot at Gander Mtn. or other place that sell guns are a good spot too. Most people going in and out don't mind seeing guns.

Top Bottom