• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    So, I have a former student who wants to buy a Remington 870 express magnum that I have. I don't really need it, but I also want to get a fair price. I have done a search on sold items on gunbroker and it seems prices have gone up significantly since I got it. It is a powder-coated one, not blued, standard size, nothing fancy. This is a good kid and I do want to help him out. So, two questions.
    Any idea on what a fair price is, I keep seeing them in the 5-6 hundred range which seems crazy.
    Also, just making sure that it is legal for person-to-person long gun sales if both are over 18, one of which is way older.
    Thanks much for any help.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I'm looking to buy a shotgun right now, specifically a 14 inch barrel Mossberg Shockwave, but I won't pay over $400 for one. If that means I wait, I wait.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Gunbroker completed auctions are probably the best way to determine current market pricing. If you want to cut him a break, then you can always drop the price a little. But to your question about legality, yes, you should be fine as long as he's a proper person (or you have no reason to believe that he's not).

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I sold one last Fall with both barrels and the green custom case to a friend for $400. If you like the kid, $300-$350 would be a fair price. $300 if just one barrel. $350 if it had both the 24" slug barrel and 28" field barrel.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd sell that 870 in the INGO classy's at the going market price. Get what you can, then purchase the kid some one on one training with one of the INGO trainers.

Obijohn would be my recomendation.

As a teacher, I'm sure you know the long term value of education. :yesway:

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Agreed with FMJesus and Snoop, I think around $300 is solid, adjust price if you're including another barrel, a sling, a flashlight, some shells, etc.

And yes, private transaction between you two should be fine as long as each of you have no knowledge about the other person being a "prohibited person" according to Indiana law. Look up "Indiana prohibited person" for more info. Given you're calling him a good kid you should be fine.

No background checks necessary. If you want to do a bill of sale that's up to you, not required

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've been buying and selling for thirty years. I'm a patient man.
    I haven't seen one sell for less than $550 since before Covid. And they were going way higher for a while after that. I turned down $750 for mine...granted mine has some upgrades. But it's not that $750 wasn't an attractive offer I just didn't/don't want to get rid of it. It's a really cool gun. You should just go ahead and find one for 550-600 and buy it...may be your last chance (at that price or even at all).

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I haven't seen one sell for less than $550 since before Covid. And they were going way higher for a while after that. I turned down $750 for mine...granted mine has some upgrades. But it's not that $750 wasn't an attractive offer I just didn't/don't want to get rid of it. It's a really cool gun. You should just go ahead and find one for 550-600 and buy it...may be your last chance (at that price or even at all).
    I tend to agree with this. Looking for a SBS host for about 9 months; started at the exact wrong time - riots downtown.
    Long story short, found one at an old LGS in my old home town. Paid $599 and would do it again.

A friend of mine bought a 20 gauge at the indy 1500 16 months ago for $400. The market is a weird thing.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    I tend to agree with this. Looking for a SBS host for about 9 months; started at the exact wrong time - riots downtown.
    Long story short, found one at an old LGS in my old home town. Paid $599 and would do it again.

A friend of mine bought a 20 gauge at the indy 1500 16 months ago for $400. The market is a weird thing.
    EB0D7880-F125-496D-B13E-6E1C6C1E0A28.jpeg
    Got the 18" for $200 at a pawn shop and the tac14 with the Mesa tactical stock adapter for $600.
    Both are relatively recent production Remington and both were hot garbage out of the box. Needed to Cerakote them because they'd rust if you looked at them. The Tac14 needed its bolt filed for it to lock in battery. Both broke extractors. Both had sticky chambers.
    Suffice to say you're better off getting an old wingmaster and chopping it. The new parts and QC are junk.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Yeah new stuff always seems to sensitive to rust.
    Alan M is NY go to cerakote guy.
    Problem is its hard to find the old stuff, especially now.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    Remember, he won't have sales tax, and no out of state transfer fee, and no shipping expense. If the 870 is minty...I'd say $475, might be more fair for you both? Additional gear could be priced separately.

Top Bottom