• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don’t do Facebook, nevertheless, I don’t think I’ve ever asked why a story is “news”. Social Media is actually a source of news. Often the headlines start out as people tweeting about some newsworthy event. It trends, and then the traditional media picks it up, and of course, adds their spin. I rely on social media, primarily twitter, to know that something newsworthy has happened. Then I use whatever credible sources I can find to learn the facts about it. Sometimes that means coming right here to INGO.
    Oh okay, gotcha. I too often rely on INGO to find out about current events that I may not otherwise take note of. I have a twitter account (because I had to to get extra entries into some contest) but I have no idea how to use it. I only have a (fake) facebook account because almost all of the news sites put their comment sections on there instead of on their respective websites.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Where do you consistently read (or listen to) news sources that you generally disagree with? I am looking to add some additional sources to my reading list, and I have found it incredibly useful to seek out contrary opinions.

Do you want news or opinions?
    It is getting tough to find news sources of any bent these days. However if you want opinions and propaganda, that is easy.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    For dissenting opinions any of the main stream channels do just fine as all are globalist spin pretending to be left or right.
    Gosh I miss the days when you tune the shortwave to pick up the Michigan Wolverines Intel Report.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I think it’s very healthy to intentionally not live in the echo chamber that so many do, but I find it pretty hopeless to try to listen to anyone whether it be npr or hannity, they all have an agenda and I find them all distasteful to one degree or another.
    I enjoy the various opinions of INGO while being basically united around a common theme.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think it’s very healthy to intentionally not live in the echo chamber that so many do, but I find it pretty hopeless to try to listen to anyone whether it be npr or hannity, they all have an agenda and I find them all distasteful to one degree or another.
    I enjoy the various opinions of INGO while being basically united around a common theme.

:yesway: It's hard to find news that isn't partisan these days.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I GUESS I am at that tender age where I just don't care about any opinions other than mine. I don't read the crap on the internet, I don't watch the TV media whores, and I don't subscribe to a single magazine or newspaper. I care more about what's going on in my neighborhood...yes...I am a cave dwelling curmudgeon. I don't need some talking anus on TV or radio telling what to think. I'm not going to change my mind on anything at this point in my life.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I GUESS I am at that tender age where I just don't care about any opinions other than mine. I don't read the crap on the internet, I don't watch the TV media whores, and I don't subscribe to a single magazine or newspaper. I care more about what's going on in my neighborhood...yes...I am a cave dwelling curmudgeon. I don't need some talking anus on TV or radio telling what to think. I'm not going to change my mind on anything at this point in my life.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I try to avoid editorialized news UNLESS I am specifically looking for it.

I listen to NPR. While it has a liberal slant to its views, it generally tries to remain open to all views.

I read news from the following sources, which are the least (in my opinion) editorialized.

AP
    Reuters

If I am looking for world news I might go outside the box to.

BBC
    Al Jazeera

When I do want opinions that I use mostly for links to more tangible information I use.

Realclearpolitics

I avoid Fox and MSNBC .like the plague! They are both editorialized and slanted to hell.

Regards,

Doug

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I try to avoid editorialized news UNLESS I am specifically looking for it.

I listen to NPR. While it has a liberal slant to its views, it [STRIKE]generally[/STRIKE] occasionally tries to remain open to all views.

I read news from the following sources, which are the least (in my opinion) editorialized.

AP
    Reuters

If I am looking for world news I might go outside the box to.

BBC
    Al Jazeera

When I do want opinions that I use mostly for links to more tangible information I use.

Realclearpolitics

I avoid Fox and MSNBC .like the plague! They are both editorialized and slanted to hell.

Regards,

Doug

Fixed the NPR statement above. It's really hit or miss these days. I only occasionally find pieces that are open to all views. If we're going to attribute the word "generally", I'd say they generally are most open to the left of center view.

AP and Reuters are not as reliable as you may think. They report a lot of **** that just isn't true.

Same for world sources. BBC and Al Jazeera aren't all that unbiased either, but I would not call them far left either. I'd say center left, but just to the right of bat-**** crazy.

Realclearpolitics I've found mostly to be reliable. You have to separate FOX and MSNBC's opinion shows from their hard news. If you're not looking for editorializing, I don't see Bret Baier's reportage, or Chris Wallace's doing that. But certainly Sean Hannity has his head so far up Trump's ass, I imagine he counts the polyps in his sleep.

This is also a good resource.
    https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news

Top Bottom