• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I think I have been bitten by the 1911 bug and am looking at buying my first. I am pretty sure I want a Springfield, not sure which one. The Range Officer and Loaded models both look nice, but the Mil-Spec looks good to maybe do some work on (or have it done.)

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think I have been bitten by the 1911 bug and am looking at buying my first. I am pretty sure I want a Springfield, not sure which one. The Range Officer and Loaded models both look nice, but the Mil-Spec looks good to maybe do some work on (or have it done.)
    Ask CM about the mil spec.... Depending on what you want to do with it, you may be better off starting with the RO or loaded. I freakin love my RO.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    For me, I think you just have to get a couple, shoot them a couple different times, clean them, play with them for a while then decide which is your favorite. Then trade off the one you don't like as much and see how the new one fits in

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Ask CM about the mil spec.... Depending on what you want to do with it, you may be better off starting with the RO or loaded. I freakin love my RO.

Well, what does his mouseness say? I probably wouldn't use it as an edc, but would probably OC it sometimes. As far as what I'd do to it, I honestly don't know. I really just turned my attention to 1911s and I know enough to know that I don't know enough to know what I need to do. I'll be relying on the input of the 1911 aficionados here for guidance there.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    That seems to be the general consensus. It's the one I'm looking at the most. I'm sure there is still plenty of work that can be done to it if I feel the need to tinker.
    Biggest thing for me was the sights. I didn't like the adjustable rear and the front was black. Swapped the rear for a Harrison blacked out and the front for a Dawson red fiber optic.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm just finishing up a Springfield Mil-Spec project and its come our very nicely. If it's eventually going to be a project gun, the RO is a better deal in that you don't have to pay for sight cuts, get a better barrel and bushing and don't have to fit a beaver tail grip safety. Now, if you want a better fit grip safety and want a straight set of Novak sight cuts, you might go the Mil-Spec route and pay more to get a better fitting safety. If I had it to do again though, I'd go with the RO.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, what does his mouseness say? I probably wouldn't use it as an edc, but would probably OC it sometimes. As far as what I'd do to it, I honestly don't know. I really just turned my attention to 1911s and I know enough to know that I don't know enough to know what I need to do. I'll be relying on the input of the 1911 aficionados here for guidance there.

OK......My opinion runs from having done maybe 5 milspecs. The 1st 4 were just experiments on fitting barrels/ignition controls/sights etc. They were successful.

The last one.......What a nightmare.

Do not look at the milspec as anything more than an entry level piece. Yes, you can hone your skills on one and end up with a decent piece.

No, do not pay someone to do this as it might end up costing you more than if you start out with an RO or a loaded.

If you have the skills/tools then yeah, have at it. If not get into an SR1911 or SA RO/loaded. You will be Money/time ahead.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    OK......My opinion runs from having done maybe 5 milspecs. The 1st 4 were just experiments on fitting barrels/ignition controls/sights etc. They were successful.

The last one.......What a nightmare.

Do not look at the milspec as anything more than an entry level piece. Yes, you can hone your skills on one and end up with a decent piece.

No, do not pay someone to do this as it might end up costing you more than if you start out with an RO or a loaded.

If you have the skills/tools then yeah, have at it. If not get into an SR1911 or SA RO/loaded. You will be Money/time ahead.

Thanks for the input. I don't have the skills or the tools. I am 100% new to even the idea of a 1911. Pretty much everybody on here (all of whom know far more than I) are saying get the RO. If the RO isn't their only suggestion, everybody mentions it as a good option. You know, I think I'll get the RO! I'll have a lot to learn from you all.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I think I'll do the RO. Really nothing bad is ever said about them. With time I may even be able to get CM to make it run even better than it comes from the factory. Either that or I can try to work my way to get a CM built one. ;)

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think I'll do the RO. Really nothing bad is ever said about them. With time I may even be able to get CM to make it run even better than it comes from the factory. Either that or I can try to work my way to get a CM built one. ;)
    Be patient. That psyko tends to sell some very nice pieces for very little money quite regularly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That last Franken1911 you built came dangerously close to derailing my suppressor plans. The PM was about to be typed. When it gets out of jail I'll have to come show you what almost was one of your 1911's.

Any time my friend. Burgers will be on me...:)

The fella that got that piece loves it.

Top Bottom