• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks. I understand that problem. I have a CW380 back at Kahr now for that very problem. Almost had it straightened out but even one FTF means you can't bet your life on it.

The Micro 380s suffer from the same issue as the 3" 1911s. Not a lot of slide length means short, fast recoil. The magazine spring works overtime to get the next cartridge into place. Then you need enough umph to jump a relatively short or fat cartridge up a feed ramp and into the chamber. This is even worse with the 380 then the 45. Just look at that stubby little low pressure bastard. (I has a certain distain for the .380)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I used to have a Kimber Ultra Carry, and while I cannot say I got a good deal when I bought it, I can say that the thing ran well for me. I never did push it hard though, and would typically run through maybe 50 rounds at a time on a range trip and it got cleaned and lubed after every outing. As mentioned above, the shorter 1911s are sensitive to timing issues and the best way to avoid trouble is to keep track of the round count and change the springs on time. I think Kimber has a dual recoil spring IIRC with a reasonable change interval of 1500 rounds. I don't think I had more than 400 or 500 rounds through mine before I sold it, but it was reliable.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I do kind of miss having a snubnose 1911. Like they said, find the ammo it likes, clean it and maintain it and you will most likely not have any issues with it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I used to have a Kimber Ultra Carry, and while I cannot say I got a good deal when I bought it, I can say that the thing ran well for me. I never did push it hard though, and would typically run through maybe 50 rounds at a time on a range trip and it got cleaned and lubed after every outing. As mentioned above, the shorter 1911s are sensitive to timing issues and the best way to avoid trouble is to keep track of the round count and change the springs on time. I think Kimber has a dual recoil spring IIRC with a reasonable change interval of 1500 rounds. I don't think I had more than 400 or 500 rounds through mine before I sold it, but it was reliable.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I do kind of miss having a snubnose 1911. Like they said, find the ammo it likes, clean it and maintain it and you will most likely not have any issues with it.

Nothing wrong with a well put together officer sized 1911, my Dan Wesson ECO has not had a single malfunction in over 1,500 rounds. But then again comparing a Dan Wesson to a Colt or Kimber really isn't fair either.
    EJDDdxOh.jpg

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Dan Wesson's are worth their price however steep it may be. If you want American made 1911 without the $1000 dollar sting, check out the Ruger series. Those are a great value.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dan Wesson's are worth their price however steep it may be. If you want American made 1911 without the $1000 dollar sting, check out the Ruger series. Those are a great value.

I have a SR1911 that I put together for the spouse.
    Out of the box it was accurate but the trigger was gritty. Clunky.
    In my true sick fashion it is fit up with a Clark Compensated (modified to fit the commander) barrel and EGW ignition pieces.
    She loves it.....:):

I believe WTBurnette has a very nice box stock SR1911. I have shot it and have to say it is very well turned out for the price point. Like anything you have to look for a good one.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have a Kimber and a Springfield. The Series I Kimber has been an excellent, accurate, and flawless gun. My favorite. The Springfield has become a very good gun but only after I sent it back to Springfield to have work done due to an unacceptable failure rate out-of-the-box. It is not as accurate or I do not shoot it as well as the Kimber. YMMV.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Nothing wrong with a well put together officer sized 1911, my Dan Wesson ECO has not had a single malfunction in over 1,500 rounds. But then again comparing a Dan Wesson to a Colt or Kimber really isn't fair either.
    EJDDdxOh.jpg

Is there anyplace local carries Dan Wesson 1911's?

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I have two Kimbers (full size crimson carry and 3" super carry ultra HD). The full size had some feeding issues initially. It was sent back to Kimber and has run just fine since then. The super carry ultra has been good to me. I probably have 1,000 rounds through both.

I will say that when I did have an issue, Kimber customer service was good.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    EJDDdxOh.jpg

I'd have to agree. Here's a shot of my DW CCO. They do build them nice!

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    The 1911 is like a never ending journey. I seem to be incubating them. Over the years, I've never had a Kimber that wasn't eventually enhanced with Wilson Springs and mags. The only 2 Kimber's that I've retained are the Super Carry Pro and my beloved SIS Custom. I've had numerous Springers with zero issues. I've hated every Colt that I've ever acquired but I seem to fall in love with every old 70 series that guys at the range let me shoot. I'm at the point where I don't buy any 1911 smaller than a commander. I don't buy any 1911 with an external extractor. I don't expect to be truly satisfied with any 1911 under $1500. I don't buy 80 series triggers. Not bashing 1911's that don't fit those parameters but that's just where my journey and 1911 tuition dollars have taken me thus far. The 1911 is my favorite platform and you just have to have a few to find out what little features and nuances you like or dislike. Once I got my first Dan Wesson and an STI, I knew instantly that I had to thin the herd and keep better breeding stock on hand. I could have saved thousands by just saving for a Baer, Brown or Wilson from the beginning but I wouldn't have had a clue of what custom features do it for me. For example, undercut trigger guards, fronstrap checkering, beveled magwells, etc. All of our preferences are different and your journey will be different. So maybe start with a Colt or a Springfield and you will have a good base gun to have customized down the road.

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    The 1911 is like a never ending journey. I seem to be incubating them. Over the years, I've never had a Kimber that wasn't eventually enhanced with Wilson Springs and mags. The only 2 Kimber's that I've retained are the Super Carry Pro and my beloved SIS Custom. I've had numerous Springers with zero issues. I've hated every Colt that I've ever acquired but I seem to fall in love with every old 70 series that guys at the range let me shoot. I'm at the point where I don't buy any 1911 smaller than a commander. I don't buy any 1911 with an external extractor. I don't expect to be truly satisfied with any 1911 under $1500. I don't buy 80 series triggers. Not bashing 1911's that don't fit those parameters but that's just where my journey and 1911 tuition dollars have taken me thus far. The 1911 is my favorite platform and you just have to have a few to find out what little features and nuances you like or dislike. Once I got my first Dan Wesson and an STI, I knew instantly that I had to thin the herd and keep better breeding stock on hand. I could have saved thousands by just saving for a Baer, Brown or Wilson from the beginning but I wouldn't have had a clue of what custom features do it for me. For example, undercut trigger guards, fronstrap checkering, beveled magwells, etc. All of our preferences are different and your journey will be different. So maybe start with a Colt or a Springfield and you will have a good base gun to have customized down the road.
    Well said. I,ve had several 1911,s over the years from different manufacturers and have generally had good luck with all of them (sans magazine problems). This is my first journey into the world of Kimber and hoping it will have a positive outcome.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've shot lots of 1911's and loved 'em all, but the one I enjoyed most, due to the buttery smooth slide, was my cheapo stainless Remington R1. It doesn't have the big beaver tail or fancy sights, trigger, or hammer. It just works. It feels great and is accurate. Sometimes simplicity wins out. It certainly did on price. I'll admit, though, I've never shot a 1911 priced over 1500 bucks.

Which 1911 is one of the toughest decisions in life, though. So many great choices.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've shot lots of 1911's and loved 'em all, but the one I enjoyed most, due to the buttery smooth slide, was my cheapo stainless Remington R1. It doesn't have the big beaver tail or fancy sights, trigger, or hammer. It just works. It feels great and is accurate. Sometimes simplicity wins out. It certainly did on price. I'll admit, though, I've never shot a 1911 priced over 1500 bucks.

Which 1911 is one of the toughest decisions in life, though. So many great choices.

I am pinned on the fence with this decision right now......:dunno:

Been down so many roads that nothing gets my blood up right now.....:(

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I don't know what it is about the R1S, but I'm in the same boat. I have a bunch of 1911s with an Ed Brown at the high end, yet the R1S is my favorite one to shoot. I don't know if it's that the stainless used to build it has a different feel to it or what, but that gun just has a feel all to its own. Mine is basically stock inside too. The trigger tuned up quite well with a bit of polish work. I'll eventually do the beaver tail grip safety mod and update the internals, but for now, that gun is just a nice, smooth shooter.

Top Bottom