• ...and so much more!
  • Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Looking for some insightful opinions….. I recently picked up a piston driven AR and I’ve never put a variable power scope on one. I’ve always had RDO’s or a LPVO. It has. 16” barrel and is inherently accurate with proper ammunition (77gr Mk262). When does a scope start to become to big for something this size? Thanks!!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Weight concerns , price range, ranges you want to use the scope at? Myself I have found with a good 1-8 you can make hits at 500 yards on a man sized target with relative ease with my 16 inch LWRC and Mk262 ammo. Though a case could be made for a 3-12 and an offset RMR if you wanted even more magnification. Because TBH the 1-8 and 1-10 optics are all heavy , my rifle is approaching 10# loaded.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I built my "precision" rig, I put a 3-9 Leupold on it. It was a tack driver and I felt that the 3-9 would aid in me achieving small groups better than a lower magnification scope.

It wasn't built for CQB though. For those I initially ran a 1-4 but later switched to a red dot.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Weight concerns , price range, ranges you want to use the scope at? Myself I have found with a good 1-8 you can make hits at 500 yards on a man sized target with relative ease with my 16 inch LWRC and Mk262 ammo. Though a case could be made for a 3-12 and an offset RMR if you wanted even more magnification. Because TBH the 1-8 and 1-10 optics are all heavy , my rifle is approaching 10# loaded.

My rifle with the Vortex razor 1-6 on it is a little over 10 pounds.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    With the right mount you can do a good 4-20x 50mm 34mm tube scope no problem.

That's how I read your post, you're wanting to know what you can do bigger than a basic 30mm tube LPVO, am I right?

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I really have no value to add except that as my eyes get older I've found that a 1-6 LPVO is very nice. A Sig Tango-MSR 1-6 is on the current fun toy of choice. But, I also have a Burris MTAC 4.5-14 on a couple 16"s we use for distance work like ground hogs, etc. Its personal preference. YMMV. :dunno: :ingo:

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    well…. I’ve got a Leupold Mk4 gathering dust. Had seen scopes ran with an offset RDO. I just have a feeling I’d be overscoped with a 6.5x20x50. I have one AR not multiple AR’s so kind of thinking killing two birds with one stone.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    well…. I’ve got a Leupold Mk4 gathering dust. Had seen scopes ran with an offset RDO. I just have a feeling I’d be overscoped with a 6.5x20x50. I have one AR not multiple AR’s so kind of thinking killing two birds with one stone.
    No doubt that is an excellent scope. That said, probably not one I would choose to run on AR platform…unless you are thinking some sort of dedicated marksman/long range type set up.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Too big? Probably not.

Too much magnification on the low end for anything inside 50 yards? Probably.

Everything is a compromise. I like 2-10 on a do-it-all rifle. I’ve had good luck with a Vortex PST 2-10x32, but I’m looking hard at NF NXS 2-10x42. Better scope, same weight.

E3DC8355-5274-46B7-9C78-0031DE4ED3C3.jpeg

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    With the ACOGs…. I see them calibrated in 5.56 and 223. I have no experience with ACOGs….. I had a Elcan Specter (wish I wouldn’t of sold it) that was calibrated for 62g 5.56 so I’m curious as to what’s what I’m the world of the acog.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    With the ACOGs…. I see them calibrated in 5.56 and 223. I have no experience with ACOGs….. I had a Elcan Specter (wish I wouldn’t of sold it) that was calibrated for 62g 5.56 so I’m curious as to what’s what I’m the world of the acog.
    The ones I see are labeled .223/5.56, not one or the other. I prefer the chevron reticle. Different models offer different magnifications, FOV and eye relief. I like the TA31 because it gives the best FOV but it sacrifices eye relief. The glass in the ACOG is unbelievably clear.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    A LWRCI Enhanced Fire Control Group…… I may have to dig around my parts drawers and see if I have rings I can throw it on there and get an idea. Dunno till I try I guess. In the mean time I’m gonna look into the ACOG pairings some more…..

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    You say "piston driven AR" and mention a 16" barrel. If it's accurate, that's great, but a 16" gun is pretty much a normal do it all carbine. I personally wouldn't go too big on it, and make it too heavy. I'd treat it like a RECCE type, and go back to the LPVO. Very similar to what I have on mine with the P&W 14.5" Sig 516 upper. I have the PA 1-8 with the ACSS reticule on that one. It's the perfect combo for the close to intermediate ranges that type of gun will see use at.

The 4 horseman - Copy.JPG

Had you been talking about a longer rifle like an 18" or 20" inch SPR type gun, they I'd say it would be time to step up to more glass. I have the PA GLX 4-16x50 FFP on my 18" Larue Tactical Stealth 2.0.

IMG_2872 - Internet Copy.JPG

Don't get me wrong. These are both pretty accurate guns, but they have different uses. The 14.5" is shorter, and lighter for a reason. It's the "do it all" combat rifle. It's not the specialized long range precision tool the SPR is. No need to make it heavier or more cumbersome than it needs to be, and having the capability (especially if you only have 1) of engaging at close range (low power) is of great importance in a combat weapon. Close engagements must be made very quickly. Here, the red dot is the undisputed king, but the LPVO does allow you... almost the same speed, with the added ability to reach out.

The LPVO (or even the red dot) is the better option if you only have the one AR. (IMHO)

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Military went with a 2.5-10x, 3-9x is way cheaper and will probably get you better glass. I have a 4-14x44 Primary Arms and it's a little long for my 18". Been wanting a Swampfox 2-12x Kentucky Long.

Top Bottom