SBRing an M85 PAP; how to drill rear trunion/plate to mount folding stock??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I finally got my stamp and eagerly proceeded with mounting the folding stock. :rockwoot:

I find, however, that my Hitachi hand drill is not making any headway with the rear trunion/plate on the M85. I'm about halfway through on the first of two holes and just seem to be polishing metal now. Using titanium coated bits. :(

Is this just too big a job for an electric hand drill? :dunno:

Argh.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If it has the under folder trunion it'll be a mother to drill through. I don't know steel could be that hard. The pistol trunion is way easier.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    If it has the under folder trunion it'll be a mother to drill through. I don't know steel could be that hard. The pistol trunion is way easier.

It's the side folder. I think the bolts will have pretty good purchase once the holes are tapped. (I thought the metal would be too thin. Silly me!)

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Is the drill upside down in the chuck? we actually had a kid do that in the shop:lmfao:

Use lots of oil and use only sharp drills. It can be quite the female dog.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Drill only fast enough to see chips fly. 400-500 rpm max and use cutting fluid/oil. Using high a speed will quickly dull a bit.

Your location is not in profile. You might get someone to volunteer a drill press or a mill if we new your location.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    May i recommend using hardened drill bits preferably carbide but cobalt works great as well and use a cutting oil to remove heat! (if it stops smoking add more oil !!!!) cobalt bits are easy to find at nearly any hardware store. slow speeds are key! and don't start too large! use a a number of smaller bits first and slowly work your way up ( not only will you save bits you will drill cleaner holes with less breakage)

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I drilled mine with little issue! I used a VZ-58 side folder so I drilled and tapped for a 3/8" bolt in the center, but also put a 10-32 machine screw to help keep it from rotating. I didn't feel like messing with getting it locked down in the drill press so I just used my DeWalt cordless.

Hope the second hole goes easier for you!!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I drilled mine with little issue! I used a VZ-58 side folder so I drilled and tapped for a 3/8" bolt in the center, but also put a 10-32 machine screw to help keep it from rotating. I didn't feel like messing with getting it locked down in the drill press so I just used my DeWalt cordless.

Hope the second hole goes easier for you!!

Must be softer than the stuff I'm struggling with. My cordless would have no effect at all...

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    If you can't get a bit to bite regardless of what you do, the metal is hardened and you'll either need machine-shop equipment, or will have to anneal the steel. Since you're going at this with a hand-drill, I wouldn't recommend that you take a torch to your receiver...

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Brett, just thinking about how to properly set it up on the mill. I don't know how to do it on a vertical right off without either the barrel interfering with the knee, head hitting the table, or the receiver standing a couple feet over the table. Does your mill have enough clearance to rotate the head 90°? I can get about 70-75° on my Index.

I need to come visit your shop sometime...;)

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Bring it by the shop. I'll drill it out with the mill. Probably take less than a few minutes.

Thanks. Should have waited for your offer, but got her done. When I slowed down the drill, I got a lot more metal out, which seems counter-intuitive.

The two holes are not quite level, but the folder plate still squares up with the receiver.

I'll have to post photos shortly. I find that I don't need the extension for good cheek weld. Also not crazy about the Magpul front grip, but I'll give it a chance.

Top Bottom