• ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Is the invasion upon us?

Tank1.jpg

I THINK this is an M-60 tank judging by the 6 wheels and the large radiators to the rear.

Travel direction is, of course, L to R. The turret is spun "backwards" in this photo.

Anyone else venture a guess as to the model of tank it is?

I speculate that it's not any older than the "Vietnam Era"

-J-

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Is the invasion upon us?

Tank1.jpg

I THINK this is an M-60 tank judging by the 6 wheels and the large radiators to the rear.

Travel direction is, of course, L to R. The turret is spun "backwards" in this photo.

-J-

That's a M60A3 model. Sloped sides puts it past A1 and has a 105mm main gun which puts it as A3. Laser range finder and thermal vision are hidden in the old stereoscopic bubbles on either side of the turrent.

Oh, and it is in travel configuration with the main gun to the rear and locked down (it looks like). And it is not Vietnam era, more like late 70's. The 60A3 was still being used by IN National Guard units at least into the early 90's (at least Cyclone Division was). And they were stored at Attebury, IIRC.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That's a M60A3 model. Sloped sides puts it past A1 and has a 105mm main gun which puts it as A3. Laser range finder and thermal vision are hidden in the old stereoscopic bubbles on either side of the turrent.

Oh, and it is in travel configuration with the main gun to the rear and locked down (it looks like). And it is not Vietnam era, more like late 70's. The 60A3 was still being used by IN National Guard units at least into the early 90's (at least Cyclone Division was). And they were stored at Attebury, IIRC.

And there we have it, folks!

I figured that it couldn't have been any older than the VN era... And I was right. Looked too "modern". Took me a while to determine that it was an M-60 of some kind, though.

I gathered from a little research that the M-60 was kind of "the" MBT before the roll-out of the Abrahms.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    And there we have it, folks!

I figured that it couldn't have been any older than the VN era... And I was right. Looked too "modern". Took me a while to determine that it was an M-60 of some kind, though.

I gathered from a little research that the M-60 was kind of "the" MBT before the roll-out of the Abrahms.

Yep. And it is still used by many nations. IIRC the marines used it up to Gulf War I with reactive plates all over it (the M60 is transportable in situations that the M1 is not).

id_m60a3_pettit_1cav_20051202_411_700.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Cool beans. So where'd you see it? Looks like a residential area, and the tank is driving on some kind of path, rather than on a roadway. Maybe the tank was privately owned or a museum piece?

My Dad and son and I were in downtown Indy last weekend, and saw a UH-60 Blackhawk take off from the Indy Heliport. Thought it was a bit odd to see a military bird so low over the city. This coming just a couple weeks after seeing the Apache buzz the house. On second thought, maybe "they" are just trying to condition us... oh teh noes!!1!11! :runaway: Where's my tinfoil??

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Do you have a higher quality version of that picture? It would be telling if the 50 is installed in the commander's cupola or if the coax is in.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Cool beans.

Shooter521, small bit of trivia for you: What was the firearm for tank crewman in the M60A3? What did the crew members get to learn at basic into the 90's?

Hint: It was NOT the M16 in any form. Only the cool M1 guys got those...

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Yep. And it is still used by many nations. IIRC the marines used it up to Gulf War I with reactive plates all over it (the M60 is transportable in situations that the M1 is not).
    I believe that is affirmative on the Gulf War. Gunny Ermy on Locked and Loaded was talking about that just a week or two ago.

My old man was a tanker and carried an 03 Springfield... but that was awhile back.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    From the looks of things I would say you saw this at Raytheon? They drive it around all the time when they are testing on our units. Do you work for Raytheon?

Is the invasion upon us?

Tank1.jpg

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    66 Chevelle is the winner!

It belongs to Raytheon.

Techres, I'm positive that the MG was removed, as it would have nothing at all to do with the kinds of systems that they work on, refine, and/or develop there.

And no, Chevelle, I don't work there. I was doing work in that little white instrument trailer that sits near the SW corner of their property. I heard this squeaky rumbling outside and was able to snap this cell phone pic. Unfortunately, that's as high-res as it's going to get!

-J-

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    We have two of them here. We also have the motor out of one in the warehouse (apparently we forgot to check the oil). My boss was the guy that was in charge of getting them shipped to us. We are leasing them from the military.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    We have two of them here. We also have the motor out of one in the warehouse (apparently we forgot to check the oil). My boss was the guy that was in charge of getting them shipped to us. We are leasing them from the military.

Next time I'm there... Any chance I can get a ride? Just a short one? :D

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Next time I'm there... Any chance I can get a ride? Just a short one? :D

They are fun, but the parking break is a pain (works through the break and you need strong legs if the previous guy locked it really good). DO NOT drive with the parking break accidentally on, it is not good for the tranny.

But it s fun standing out of the turret and cruising at 30 khp getting tossed into the edges of the hole. I am betting the suspension is better on a Bradley or M1 though - as Cwood, he would know!

BTW - how come we cannot have a tanks for clunkers program? They toss old tanks into the ocean to make artificial reef, why not put them up for quick buy and take my junk Chrysler in for partial trade?

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    They are fun, but the parking break is a pain (works through the break and you need strong legs if the previous guy locked it really good). DO NOT drive with the parking break accidentally on, it is not good for the tranny.

But it s fun standing out of the turret and cruising at 30 khp getting tossed into the edges of the hole. I am betting the suspension is better on a Bradley or M1 though - as Cwood, he would know!

BTW - how come we cannot have a tanks for clunkers program? They toss old tanks into the ocean to make artificial reef, why not put them up for quick buy and take my junk Chrysler in for partial trade?

That the best idea I've seen in years! Sign me up, that thing for sure would pull my camper! :patriot:

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I remember an article years ago about a guy in NW indianapolis that has a ton of tanks. He leases them to movie productions, iirc.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I remember an article years ago about a guy in NW indianapolis that has a ton of tanks. He leases them to movie productions, iirc.

He's moved to the booming metropolis of Darlington, IN!

Ropkey Armor Museum

They visit my parents' store quite often. I hope to one day be able to wrangle a ride in something from him, too. :D

Big NRA supporter, too, Mr. Ropkey.

-J-

Top Bottom