• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Just pointing out some people claim a behavior happened and then bash the person based on the action they were inferred to have done. Similar to Evansville zoo patron being callee all sorts of things for peacably standing at the zoo

I don't think anyone is assuming anything, except maybe you.

Let me summarize this
    1) you went in to a gun store with your child, and it smelled like smoke
    2) It didn't bother you that bad, and you continued to have a conversation with a sales person
    3) Someone, probably the owner, lit a cigarette right in front of you and your child. You acknowledge it's their store and their rules.
    4) You left and did not give them the sale
    5) You are quite sure they understand you aren't happy and will buy elsewhere.

:yesway: Everyone agrees with you, his store = his rules
    :yesway: Questions were asked if you said anything, and you are quite sure they understood

What are we missing? Do you want people to disagree with you and say it's not the store owners right to determine if smoking is allowed? I haven't seen any bashing, what is the issue?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I am totally cool with what he did. He does not like smoke so he chooses not to do business with someone that smokes. He did not say he wanted the state to fix it for him. I am a smoker, my choice. I had a fellow INGOer at my house in my man cave and I was polite enough to ask if I could light up. A lot of things should be just simple courtesy.

Luckily he said he didn't care.:D

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Just pointing out some people claim a behavior happened and then bash the person based on the action they were inferred to have done. Similar to Evansville zoo patron being callee all sorts of things for peacably standing at the zoo

I'm not trying to bash, in fact I mean to do the complete opposite. You posted the situation on here because it upset you, whether or not you were looking for people's insights on the situation, you got them because this is a forum. Primarily one about people's rights...

Whether or not you choose to do business with people who smoke cigarettes or not is up to you. What most people on here are trying to state is that you could have handled it differently. Did you get your point across? Yes. You pointed out to the man that you would not do business with him since he smokes. Do you really think he cares since you didn't have the courtesy to even talk to him like an adult about it first? Probably not. He was exercising his right to smoke in his shop.

I don't see people's reactions on here the same as, "OMG! The nutjob had a gun on his hip", I see them as saying, "It was his right to do what he was doing and you were the one who brought the child into the gun shop, then demanded him to wave his right or make a sale."

I mean, lets face it. People are going to be different, but you shouldn't brag on a pro-rights forum about "getting your point across" the way you did without expecting to catch a little :poop:.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I'm old, I smoke, and have for longer than many of you have been alive, I'm not politically correct.
    If I were the shop owner, I would be as offended by you're whining as you were his smoking, nor would I have been thrilled with the presence of a toddler. Your kid, you love him, that's great, the rest of us probably not so much.
    I hope the young people that are rearing they're children today are making sure that said children never go into any line of work other than climate controlled retail, or cubical dwellers. Industrial, construction, farming, or any manufacturing process would be far to dangerous.
    Oh wait! were sending all that nasty stuff overseas, and the rest of us are all going to die from global warming!

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I am a smoker and I frequent a gun shop that does allow smoking inside. Its a nice place to get in out of the cold in winter because I cannot smoke in my work van. That being said to each their own. I prefer smoking and some people prefer non. There is a place for everybody.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    HoosierDoc I applaud your conviction.

I agree with this. There are shops which I avoid for this very reason. Not personal to the owner in any way and some are good shops with great people and good deals but I don't want to be around it.

I also disagree with the comments about kids in gun shops. Granted, a 13 month old maybe shouldn't just run around, but my kids learn stuff at the shops and I want them to be educated about guns, not afraid of them or think the shops are "bad".

Last edited:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    The number of people who persecute smokers today is absolutely disgusting. The number of people who think second hand smoke kills people makes me lol... as does the number of people who believe in global "climate change" (because they cant pick warming or cooling).

As a smoker I am tired of being cast out of society to go freeze my balls off huddled in the farthest corner of the farthest parking lot at every event I attend. I dont blow it in your face. I understand if you dont like it. But if you dont... then go somewhere else.

Smoking and Your Health | Your Doctor's Orders

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    If he was in his shop, i guess he is allowed to smoke, we are getting so wird that we can ban people to smoke in their own houses? yea i am smoker and had to smoke outside, but i think is is not very smart to place a small child near by to somebody smoking, i do refrain myself to smoke in my car, other persons houses, or where there are kids present, but i dont think you can blame the guy to smoke in his shop when you are the guy introducing the kid near him.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I went to buy my XD40SC today. I had my 13-month old on my arm and was surprised the shop smelled of smoke. It wasn't awful so I talked to the counter guy and was going to buy it after comparing a few models. Then I see someone who I assumed was the owner light up across the counter from us.

I told the sales guy it's likely his shop and he can smoke if he wants, but to do so in proximity to my child cost him a $500 sale.

I'm not naming names since He didn't do anything wrong, but just an odd way to run a business in today's environment.

I'll now spend money at Bud's and not keep the $$ local. Oh well, I tried.
    You know there are a few site supporters with better prices that are locally close to you if you were referring to Elmores off 135...........Just my :twocents:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Good for you doc.

As a "guest" in the shop others should be considerate. Especially when that "guest" is a paying customer. Buy online, you'll save money anyway.

cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    I'm going to be the guy who says a gun store isn't a place for a young child.

First off how do they learn if you don't take them. Second my son gets sick at the smell of smoke. His father used to smoke and my son was sick a lot. I would have nicely asked the man if he could wait to smoke until I left because of my son. As a person who knows a little bit about business, I believe you try to make the customer happy with in certain means. Now by just reading text you cannot tell the tones of the voices. You guys are right about it is his place, his rules, and in this case all you can do is take business somewhere else. I agree that people need to be more aware of the people around them and how our choices may affect them.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    His shop, his rules....no problem.
    One of the shops I visit .....the owner smokes while he is running the register. I still go there.
    On another note I believe that anybody 18 years or older has the right to smoke.
    I also believe that everyone is entitled to breathe smoke free air.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    What's the big deal? OP knew it smelled like smoke, yet still stayed inside with his child. OK, his decision. Smoker lights up in his "house". OK, no big deal. You don't like it then you can ask him to wait til you are gone-if he refuses you can leave. But with a child present he probably would have agreed with you if he was asked in a polite and mature manner (I would).

Unless it is a crime the smoker has done nothing wrong. You don't like smoke-we get it. I never called you a "Nancy","Sissy", or any derogatory term. Just a couple of simple statements. Most of your interaction could be the same for a drinker, a policeman, a lawyer....You don't like something about them, then don't deal with them.

With all that said.....I prepare to get flamed. I am a smoker. I hate the smell of it, the taste of it. I do not smoke in my home or car or at work. I freeze my stuff off in the Winter and I hate the smell of a smoker's car, house and clothes. I do not like the smoke smell when you climb into the shower or the discoloration of facial hair and fingers. Why do I smoke? I still enjoy it and not a thing any one can do about it until I choose to change. But, I do respect others enough to be around them and we all get along-all part of maturity and adulthood. My boss didn't even know I smoked for several years until I got stuck in a llooonnngggg car ride with him and had to "go for a walk".

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    The only thing I see wrong with this story is the fact that you were going to pay 500 dollars for an XD. Did you take your child to McDonald's on the way home? There were probably more carcinogens in their Happy Meals that in a 3 minute exposure to a cigarette.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    One of the shops I visit .....the owner smokes while he is running the register. I still go there.
    On another note I believe that anybody 18 years or older has the right to smoke.
    I think a 13 year old has the right to smoke if his parents don't care or if he can hide it from them. What business is it of anyone but me what my kids do.

And if you really believed everyone is entitled to breathe smoke free air you would be riding a bicycle. The exhaust from a car (even though it smells better than cig smoke) is far deadlier.:)

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN

Gee, I wonder which of the hundred shops in Vincennes you're talking about. Haha. Bought my first two pistols there.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Their house, their rules.

+1
    nuff said.

Im 33/34 born in 1977 let me tell you, Ive had my share of cigarette smoke,I can remember movie theaters chock full of so much smoke you couldn't see the darn screen, and I seen aaaaaaaaalot of movies as a child, All those years to being exposed to both parents,uncles aunts, family friends, all smoking like chimneys.
    My latest screening clears me of all carcinogenic related illnesses or diseases, I am good. And so is your kid who was exposed to approx 4.5 to 6 minutes of a 500$ cigarette

It would be alot different if he blew his smoke in your face and followed thru with charging you 500+tax for an XD.

You didn't loose much but gas to the store and a reason not to bring preference, your child into another stinky, smoky pricey, gun store that you or the state don't own.

Consideration on their end would have been a proper thing to do I agree to that. but smokers seem to be automatic when it comes to "firing one up"

Now which Xd was that???

Last edited:
    Top Bottom