• Peep

Results are only viewable after voting.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I’ve got a savage rascal .22 for my kids. The rear sight is just a peep. Is there a better rear sight for it? It’s hard to get an accurate shot with it. I’m use to the old reliable front pin out front with the V at the back. Would like to install something better. Thanks.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Those particular rear aperture sights aren’t great, but in general, aperture rear sights are way—WAY—more capable of precision than are any type of notch sight.

A classy option is the Skinner for the Savage 93: http://www.skinnersights.com/rimfire_groove_sights_25.html

...that said, the closer the rear aperture is to your eye, the greater the potential for precision. The Skinner goes the wrong way for that. It also requires a caliper to adjust very carefully..but once it’s set, it holds like iron.

A less classy, but totally serviceable option is the tech line:

Quite a few of the Revere and Appleseed types have used quite a few Tech sights quite a bit.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Those particular rear aperture sights aren’t great, but in general, aperture rear sights are way—WAY—more capable of precision than are any type of notch sight.

A classy option is the Skinner for the Savage 93: http://www.skinnersights.com/rimfire_groove_sights_25.html

...that said, the closer the rear aperture is to your eye, the greater the potential for precision. The Skinner goes the wrong way for that. It also requires a caliper to adjust very carefully..but once it’s set, it holds like iron.

A less classy, but totally serviceable option is the tech line:

Quite a few of the Revere and Appleseed types have used quite a few Tech sights quite a bit.
    I’m just trying to teach the basics to my 11 year daughter for shooting sports and my 8 year old as well. I’m used to the v sight.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Tech sights are DA BOMB! Not pretty, but VERY utilitarian. Ive replaced all my 10/22s with those.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Peep sights are accurate, if they are good ones. I shot 1000 yard matches at the National championships at Camp Perry for several years. Only one of the matches allowed scoped rifles, all others were iron sights only. I did not score any better with a scope than with irons. I earned Master Status with both the Palma Rifle and the 6.5mm X .284 rifle.

My 6.5mm was a Winchester model 70 action bedded into a Composite Remington 40X stock that was painted Ferrari red. I had silver emblems made that said "ROSA" on the forearm. I sold it in 2006. Has anyone seen it around at matches?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I’m just trying to teach the basics to my 11 year daughter for shooting sports and my 8 year old as well. I’m used to the v sight.
    Totally understand. I grew up on a Ranger M34 .22 and a Remington 514. Still shoot a new-er 514 pretty damn okay, in fact.

I didn’t handle an aperture sight until I was almost 25, and I wanted to “see about some competition”. Took me about a week to shoot an M16 as well as I could ever shoot a “V” rear sight..even though I’ve sent literally tens and tens of thousands of rounds with the latter.

Being “used to” a thing doesn’t make it necessarily the best.

Savage, in their wisdom, put a “peep saht” on the rifle because it is easier for kids to use to get hits. It effectively removes an entire focal plane that a kid (or you) would otherwise have to consciously manage.

Your kids can learn the aperture sight, but you’re gonna have to learn as well. Nice thing: it’s shooting, so what’s not to like?! :)

My opinion, if it is not clear already, is that you can waste a bunch of time wrenching on the rifle, or you can just start shooting it. A hardware issue you do not have, and what kids need is actual shooting reps.

To my knowledge, there is no “open” or “v” rear sight that will install on those rifles at the correct height without significant smith work.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom