• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    A few years ago, I landed a Savage 99 that had been rechambered in 30-30. I haven't checked the chamber or anything, but you can tell that the old chamber markings have been sanded and poorly restamped to 30-30 Winchester. Let's just say I got it cheap.

First of all, I was wondering what the original chambering might have been. 303 Savage?

Second, since there is no collector value left in this gun, what could I rechamber/rebarrel this rifle to that would be legal to hunt deer in Indiana? I have always wanted a 358 Hoosier. What options do I have?

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Your biggest problem may be the bolt. With it being set up for a rimmed cartridge, you might have to locate a .308 bolt to work with the Hoosier.

Sweet, I have a call in with them.

In the case of the bolt face being wrong, how about .357 Herrett? It is derived from the 30-30, it has a .357 caliber and the overall case length is 1.75". I think it meets the requirements for deer hunting in Indiana.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    That's a good possibility. I've read of the .357 Herrett, but have zero experience with it. It was designed to give the IHMSA silhouette shooters more knock down wasn't it?

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Handgun Hunter Magazine says that it was developed for better knock down power on big game than the 30 Herrett.

I am not sure, but the more I research into it, the more I like about it.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Well, I took the rifle out last night and shot it...

...I fell in love.

I will be keeping it the way it is, but I will look for another rifle to work on.

Even though the caliber stamp is butt ugly, it shoots really well. I would hate to mess it up trying to make it into something else.

Top Bottom