• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I live near the Kankakee River and there are 10 of thousands moving through this week. Biggest flock was at least 2000 and they took flight. NEWTON/ PULASKI counties has to be real noisy about now.
    Haven't heard them yet. They most likely are around the laporte/starke county area in the country. I lived more in the laporte county area on 600east just off US6 outside walkerton back in 98. Used to see a few here and there then, but now you would think this is a southern state with how many there are even in winter. I have no clue how they survive the winters.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I have not seen/heard any large flocks, just small groups. Have a few that overwintered and some stay around all summer/year. 2 of last 3 days have had a pair in a large grassy area few hundred feet from my house.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    3 flocks heading south by south west...around 30 birds per.
    Seemed lower altitude than normal.
    I hope they don't know sonething..,,
    I had seen several flocks going over our place late last week. Hearing their calls is one of my favorite wildlife sounds, right up there with the rare Common Loon calls that I sometimes hear in the spring at a reservoir where I take walks.

I'm pretty sure that some of them winter in Florida, and others winter in South America.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    3 flocks heading south by south west...around 30 birds per.
    Seemed lower altitude than normal.
    I hope they don't know sonething..,,
    I'm not seeing any year arounds here this year. Maybe this warm to cold and back weather has them confused this year. Snow yesterday and cold and supposed to be 40s next few days starting tomorrow

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Noisy bastards have been coming over northern Hamilton County for about a week now.

Wondering if they might start a fight with the herons down in the shallows of Morse. :):

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Saw a flock of 50 heading North over west Indianapolis area today. I thought it was too early but I see this thread started last February.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Saw a flock of 50 heading North over west Indianapolis area today. I thought it was too early but I see this thread started last February.
    When I was letting my dog out earlier today I could've sworn I heard some, but when I stepped outside and looked all around I didn't see any, and I didn't hear them again. Probably just wishful thinking on my part! :):

I love hearing them when I'm out in the yard doing pre-spring cleanup stuff. Means Spring's not far off. :thumbsup:

TR1032

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Johnson County
    When I was letting my dog out earlier today I could've sworn I heard some, but when I stepped outside and looked all around I didn't see any, and I didn't hear them again. Probably just wishful thinking on my part! :):

I love hearing them when I'm out in the yard doing pre-spring cleanup stuff. Means Spring's not far off. :thumbsup:
    I saw a flock heading north over New Whiteland about 11:30 this morning. That may be the same ones you heard. Tried to get a picture, but they were way too high.

Come on Spring !

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I saw what I estimated to be about 100 birds over Indy, heading North today. There were more following, but too far away to see and the sun was blinding me...a good day.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Saturday 2/2/2024, 1:45 p.m. N.W. Johnson Co. as always heard them long before sighting. Put a smile on my face to hear the early spring greeting from high in the sky. Mother nature again sooths the soul.

Next up peepers then mushrooms, Yeah!

Top Bottom