• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've got a Bug-A-Salt. It is pretty lethal to spiders and flies. Maybe a big giant one would be lethal to burglars.

[video=youtube;JmqTHLn1JWg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmqTHLn1JWg[/video]

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    A few years back, my dad showed me a .22 short revolver he purchased back when he was a kid. It wont chamber standard ball ammo: instead it shoots 3 types of roll crimped brass shot shells; the payloads were held in place with tiny over shot cards. The three types of shells were: Blanks, 'Tear Gas', and 'Rock Salt'. The 'Tear Gas' rounds projected a puff of noxious gas from the muzzle, and the 'Rock Salt' rounds fired a small piece of rock salt at a couple hundred feel a second.

He bought it with his paper route money, and used it to shoot dogs that chased him on his bike. It came in a little velvet lined hard case, and he still has a few of each type of cartridge.

Exactly the sort of toy kids are no longer allowed to enjoy - an all metal, realistic looking revolver that shoots non-lethal projectiles from real brass rimfire casings, that they can afford themselves with allowance or odd job money... A Kid could probably get shot for riding his bike around with such a toy these days.

If it deserves to be shot with this, it deserves to be shot with a real gun.

Consider the above mentioned dogs. A loud 'pop', and the sting of some rock salt will teach rover a lesson without killing or maiming someone's pet... No need for the owner to decontaminate the animal afterwards either, as with OC products.

There is a market for these sort of devices... It is small and very much a niche, but there are some occasional limited uses.

BTW - $5 per ball is on par with current production pepper balls used in riot control, and the prison industry (they run about $2 per for the 'practice ammo' filled with baby powder, and $5 for the OC powder payload). When I was a prison guard, the standard procedure was to fire a couple of 5 shot bursts every time you engaged... So basically $50 every time you engaged a target.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    There was a certain farmer on the south-east side of Indy who had salt rounds more than 40 years ago. As I remember his seemed way more irritating than these new ones..... They would wreck a pair of jeans too!

Top Bottom