• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    This is great news for my 13 yr old daughter and for me. We have been adding popcorn salt to our chips for a while now. Time to put some sanity and salinity back into our snack foods!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The people in the know, really don't know much. Constant retractions. Eggs are bad for you, then eggs are good for you, coffee is bad for you, ooops coffee is good for you. I don't pay attention to the advice of the experts anymore.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    My great grandmother lived in an era when they knew nothing of cholesterol. She ate eggs from chickens she raised, used real butter, threw salt on everything, and ate everything experts called "bad" way before there were food experts. She didn't eat anything chemically enhanced or processed, and the food on her plate wasn't developed or altered in a laboratory. She lived until her 90s and was as sharp as they come. She outlived a lot of younger family members who didn't eat like she did, so I'm following her lead.

By the way, my personal trainer recommends colored salts because they have additional minerals in them. He highly recommends pink Himalayan sea salt. It's becoming more available in places like Target, Costco, etc.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Over eating rich foods really is bad for you. Eating engineered foods (screw you monsanto) is really bad for you. Eating the doctored up food in fast food really is bad for you.

Eating a reasonable diet of a variety of foods that are pretty much how God put them on the earth is the key to health.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The people in the know, really don't know much. Constant retractions. Eggs are bad for you, then eggs are good for you, coffee is bad for you, ooops coffee is good for you. I don't pay attention to the advice of the experts anymore.

You have stumbled into one of the more pervasive problems in our culture today. People are generally willing to believe a statement made with authority (i.e., by an 'expert') with certainty (regardless of whether it is correct or not) especially if it is repeated often via a number of different channels (OK, we are on the same page with the Hitler-Goebbels 'Big Lie' here). Conversely, they are far less likely to believe tentative conclusions presented as such with supporting evidence in which the presenter acknowledges that it is not conclusively proven, even if he is in fact correct.

The first time I encountered this thought was at a tender age listening to my dad talking about mechanics and how people would go to the moron who responded with certainty even though he didn't know enough to realize he was clueless and avoid a far superior mechanic who was honest enough to say that he wasn't absolutely sure, and then they would pay the moron to completely screw up their car. Over the last couple of decades, I have found all kinds of situations in which that same basic principle applies.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Over eating rich foods really is bad for you. Eating engineered foods (screw you monsanto) is really bad for you. Eating the doctored up food in fast food really is bad for you.

Eating a reasonable diet of a variety of foods that are pretty much how God put them on the earth is the key to health.

:+1:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Actually, if you remember geology and a little of plate tectonics, the Himalayas were formed by India slamming into Asia. Guess what used to be between India and Asia?

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Been saying this for years.

It's an important electrolyte. You'd die without it. It's also water soluable, it will cause a short term spike in blood pressure, but it fades rather quickly.

The reason salt get's such a bad rap and doctors tell you to cut it out of your diet is because of all the things salt is on.

Cured meats, fatty greasy foods, etc.

These are bad for you when your trying to reduce your blood pressure/cholesterol.

Have a baked potato instead, and dump some salt on it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I eat 4 scrambled eggs every morning and salad for lunch and have been doing so for a couple of years. They are mistaken that animal fats are linked to high cholesterol and in fact are important to a healthy diet. Fats will also make you feel full thus you eat less...less likely to over eat unlike sugar/carbs that push you into overeating. My cholesterol is like 155ish. Salt is not the enemy. Too much perhaps but that is with ANYTHING in life. I know that salt allows your body to retain water so if you are trying to cut, too much salt will leave you bloated.

Top Bottom