• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deathmagnetgt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    New Albany
    I'll make this a quick and simple read for you all. Bought new Saiga AK47, has useless muzzle shroud (pictured), and want to know if under the shroud is threaded and how the best way to remove it is. If you need more info or pictures I can provide that info

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You won't be able to tell until you remove it. Go to lowes and buy a pipe cutter for a couple bucks. It's essentially a blade on one side and 2 wheels on the other. You tighten the blade against the metal and spin the unit around the barrel. After a couple of passes it'll get easier. Tighten the blade back against the barrel and repeat until the foreskin pops off. The threads don't go all the way back to the front sight, so don't try to go to far back or it'll be barrel that you're cutting.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I broke two cheapo pipe cutters in mine. Do yourself a favor and use a heavier duty one. I have no idea where Floyd is, but if you're in central Indiana, you're welcome to use mine. It's made for iron pipe and only been used for one barrel.

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    Unless it is older, the chances are that it will not be threaded. I've not seen any of the newer ones with a threaded muzzle.

Deathmagnetgt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    New Albany
    Tighten the blade back against the barrel and repeat until the foreskin pops off.
    Lmao

I broke two cheapo pipe cutters in mine. Do yourself a favor and use a heavier duty one. I have no idea where Floyd is, but if you're in central Indiana, you're welcome to use mine. It's made for iron pipe and only been used for one barrel.
    I'm in Floyd county in southern Indiana. I don't have a problem buying one myself and spending a bit more for a high quality tool, but thanks for offering.

Unless it is older, the chances are that it will not be threaded. I've not seen any of the newer ones with a threaded muzzle.
    I'm really hoping that's not my case...if so looks like I'll need some more tools. :):

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I found that the pipe cutters I have wouldn't get close enough to the base of the sight. I knocked my FSP off the bbl, marked where I wanted to cut and chopped it off with a dremel. Here's what it looked like post chop, but pre thread:

Then I made a video on how to thread it as there wasn't one at the time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q9vZYl49yw

I'm in New Albany and would be happy to help you do yours and/or loan you some tools. The bad side is that I'm traveling a lot the rest of the month... Here's what she looks like now minus the rattle can paint:

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Lmao

I'm in Floyd county in southern Indiana. I don't have a problem buying one myself and spending a bit more for a high quality tool, but thanks for offering.

I'm really hoping that's not my case...if so looks like I'll need some more tools. :):

I used heavy duty pipe cutter to remove mine. The barrel was not threaded underneath but threading it was an easy job.

Top Bottom