Saiga 12 video, surprising slo mo revelation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I went to the range today with my new PMR-30 and my Saiga 12 and took some video. A reveiw of the PMR-30 is forthcoming (hint: :(), but I learned something about the S12.

Here's the obligitory mag dump:
    YouTube - S12 federal low brass 20 rnds HD-Desktop.m4v

Here's where it gets intersting. Watch how EVERY ejected shell is smacked by the charging handle on its way back forward! It;s recorded at 240 frames per second (standard video is ~30 FPS).

YouTube - S12 Federal low brass 5 rnds 240 fps-Desktop.m4v

Just to be sure, I did it again without the cover at 420 FPS:

YouTube - S12 Federal low brass no dust cover 5 rnds 420 FPS-Desktop.m4v

I'd have never guessed!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I don't see it as a problem, though it does explain why the finish is worn off the handle! I was shooting Federal bulk pack from Wally, unfortunately I didn't record in slo mo with slugs or high brass but I bet it does it with that too. The shells fly in the same direction (2 O'Clock-ish). Only farther.:D

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Never would have thought to use the charge handle as a "brass" deflector. Pretty cool, thanks for posting up the footage.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Every time I see a Saiga I keep thinking about how I need to get one. Not sure if I want a 12 or a 20 though. But yeah, cool vids and I didn't notice that over the summer at a group shoot when the Saiga 12 was out on the line.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I smell an upcoming INGO meet and shoot! We all bring various semi autos and film in super slow-mo to see how the rounds actually exit.

That would be a LOT of fun! Give me a place and time!

Full-Auto: I am using a Fuji HS10. I went to the range by myself, so it was on a tripod... it would have been better to actually be behind the camera. It's a new cam, and I couldn't really tell what was "working" till I looked at it on the computer; for example, the 420 FPS stuff loses a more resolution than it's worth compared to the 240 FPS stuff. It will do 1000 FPS, but it's about the size of a postage stamp. I'm still figuring all the settings out. It eats AA batteries like an NFA Uzi.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've been wanting to get a Casio high speed camera but they are impossible to find (no longer in production). They do extremely high speed video (1000 fps+) and in high resolution.

Amazon.com: Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1 Digital Camera, 6.0 MP, with 60fps High Speed Burst Mode, Full HD Movies, 12x Optical, 4x Digital Zoom, 2.8" HP LCD Screen: Electronics

Some of the lesser Casio's do the same high speed video, but like your camera seriously reduce the resolution to the point it's not all that usable.

Humm...

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    full-auto; I looked at the EX-F1, but it was waaay more than I could justify for fun. Sweet camera, though

Sparky241; in the video you linked it appears that the brass for the AK is hitting the carrier while it's still on the way back. On my S12 the carrier is moving back forward when the charging handle smacks it. I could imagine that it happens every once in a while, but I was surprised that it seems to happen every time. I don't know if it's "designed" that way, but I doubt it... I'm not running stock recoil springs. Maybe I'll put the OEM spring back in and see if (or how much) that changes it.

45Guy; No problems, other than a worn finish on the charging handle.

killer1202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    I think that is one of the best shotguns made. I think I will be buying one for myself for christmas. that thing is cool.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Nice vids.

I have seen this with a few different 10/22 builds a member here has at the range. It is cool to sit and watch the handle smack the cases forward across the firing line.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I am suprised at the lack of flex in your Saiga compared to alot of the AK videos I have seen (slow motion). Heck, a mossberg I saw in slow mo had a horrendous amount of flex (whip) when firing a slug! :D

Top Bottom