• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    I've wanted a converted Saiga 12 for years now. I've never gotten around to getting one. This year I'm determined to do it. But I've got a few questions first. Hopefully there is some Saiga 12 experts here.

I've seen Saiga 12s for 200 up to 600 dollars for non converted ones. Whats a good price to pay for one non converted? They seem to be ridiculously marked up right now.

Is it possible for one to run reliable on bird shot?

Whats the cost to buy the stuff to convert one on your own?

How hard is the conversion?

Will I be better off just trying to find an already converted one? Is there really any money to save buy doing it yourself?

Thanks

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i am by no means a expert but i bought one and did the conversion myself. saiga's are up in price right now and the russians want to increase the price by 30% or atleast thats what they told my buddy who owns a gun store. i would say expect to pay 4-600 depending on your local shop or how good you are on the auction sites

as far as bird shot i ran about 200 rounds through mine the other day letting a buddy check it out and never had a single jam. adjust the gas setting depending on what your shooting (i don't like the light recoil stuff but w/ mine set on 1 it ate it fine).

i think with my conversion which is all done up in my opinion i think i ended up with 800 in it.

the conversion takes alittle knowledge and you need to be decent with a dremill. there is a tone of video's on the saiga forum for it. you get a little sense of ownership when you do it yourself imo.

it all depends on what type of time and effort your willing to put. its a sense of accomplishment and ownership when you do it yourself imo but at the same time if you can get one for a good price and save all that time you might want to go for it. i will post some pics of mine.

its not the best conversion and one of my rivets fell out but man i love this gun it is a blast. hope this helps some and again i did mine awhile ago so you might could do it cheaper now. one thing i will not is that the conversion where you just add the pistol grip with the buttstock attached which adds like 2 inches to the gun i don't like at all it makes it 2 long here is the pics

DSCN0766.jpg

DSCN0768.jpg

DSCN0767.jpg

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Thank you very much Grunt Soldier, Very nice Saiga you have there. Your conversion looks like the same one I would like to do as far as the trigger guard and the distance of the trigger from the mag. Which trigger guard is that?

When you move the trigger forward is it a case of cutting a new hole for the trigger? Or is it a modification they do to move the trigger back? I've never seen a converted Saiga in person, So it's a little foggy in my mind as far as what is actually taking place when one is converted. I've yet to find a good step by step guide to doing the conversion.

I'm glad to hear you have no problem with bird shot, I like it just cause it's cheap and it goes bang. It won't be all I will use, but for goofing off it will be nice to be able to use it.

Also hearing that you have 800 in yours is pretty encouraging, that's cheaper then any already converted s12 I've seen by far.

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    I just converted a Saiga 7.62 a few hours ago. It's not bad, just take your time. I have about $165.00 in the parts. When you get the bottom plate off the holes for the new trigger placement are already there.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    sartwell is correct it's arleady there. i have all tromix parts in mine. and i should have clarified more above. the 800 i have in doesn't account for the steel rails on the bottom or the ultimak top mount i have. it usually wears a eotech but i put it on my deer gun and haven't put it back yet. so total for that set up there is closer to 1k but thats completely done up.

they are sweet guns and just remember you don't have to do all the upgrades at once take it slow and get it down. you will love it.

if your ever down towards sheridan shoot me a pm and we can meet up somewhere and you can check out the saiga fully converted

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've seen Saiga 12s for 200 up to 600 dollars for non converted ones. Whats a good price to pay for one non converted? They seem to be ridiculously marked up right now.

Stock Saiga-12s will run $499 to $600+ at most shops. The days of $200-300 Saigas are LONG gone.

Is it possible for one to run reliable on bird shot?

Yes. The only ammo my Saigas wouldn't run is the Winchester "Universal" bulk-pack stuff as sold by Wal-Mart. It is terribly under-loaded and uses an aluminum base rather than brass - I've even seen it choke pump guns! That said, after adding a 4-position adjustable gas reg, both my Saigas will now cycle Winchester Universal and other low-aluminum-base loads.

Whats the cost to buy the stuff to convert one on your own?

Depends on what parts you use, and how you approach the issue of 922(r) compliance. Figure $100 minimum for hammer/trigger/sear, pistol grip and fixed buttstock. Price can easily go higher if you use premium components, and that doesn't figure in the cost of your time to actually do the conversion work, or for refinishing the gun when you're done.

How hard is the conversion?

I've heard of guys doing it with a Dremel and a few basic hand tools, but if you want to do it right, you'll need a drill press. A friend who had access to a full machine shop did one of mine in about 4 hours.

Is there really any money to save buy doing it yourself?

Absolutely. Pre-converted guns for under $1000 are pretty rare these days.

And the obligatory Saiga pr0n:
    Saiga_Chaos.jpg

HTH!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    They also have restored ones as well

SAI-12S-D.jpg

Price: $899.99
    Part Number: SAI-12S

• Russian mfg.
    • 19” barrel
    • Gas operated
    • Fixed sight
    • Semi-auto
    • Magazine fed
    • Will accept optional poly choke
    • Black synthetic stock

Includes Sling Studs, Cleaning Tools, Oil Bottle, Manual, & (1) 5rd Mag

$899.95 + your local guy's receiving fee for a gun that has been converted by an unknown party using the cheapest possible methods (the pic shows they re-use the existing triggerguard and plug the residual pin holes rather than welding over and refinishing)... buyer beware.

They also have this one:
    SAI-12S2_rt_D.jpg

Price: $899.99
    Part Number: SAI-12S2

Features:
    •T6 Stock
    •2 Single-Hook Trigger Group with Bolt Hold Open
    •ATI Knurled Pistol Grip
    •Intrafuse Saiga Handguard
    •18-1/2” Total Barrel Length
    •922R compliant with the use of the original magazine

This shotgun was converted, sandblasted, and duracoated in matte black.
    It comes in the original box with the original accessories and the selector stop in the stock position.

You have a Duracoat finish and 922(r) compliance with the OEM foreign mag, which are good things, and it appears that the extra holes have been welded over rather than plugged. The Tapco stock and ATI pistol grip are a little chintzy, and I don't know what's up with the barrel length. Saiga-12s are only available in 19" or 24" barrels. These may be from the batch that came in a couple years ago with sub-18" barrels (d'oh!); they had to have a muzzle nut welded on to make them legal length (thus the phrasing '18-1/2" total barrel length').

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    And they are both the same price, I doubt they sell many of the top ones.

922R compliant with the use of the original magazine...does this mean the fcg isn't usa made?

vinnivanhood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I converted/restored mine myself it was fairly easy, but incredibly fun! Not to mention gives you an added familiarity with your weapon. Also there are alot of different parts to chose from and customizing your S12 yourself makes it way cooler!

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I would love to have one of these too but I can't justify the cost at the time. I don't mean the hijack the thread but I have to ask...Is there any practical use for these? I mean are you using them for home defense? Surely not hunting. Definitely not waterfowl hunting. So is it just for fun?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    mine is definitely for home defense. i mean your talking about the reliability of an ak-47 in a 12 gauge. and i have a surefire and a 12 round mag. not to mention multiples hidden through out the house to work my way to. its short and maneuvers easily room to room. i mean with 3 12 round mags filled with 00 buck you could literally tear down a house. its a beast. one of the best home defense guns imo and a blast to build and train with.

vinnivanhood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would love to have one of these too but I can't justify the cost at the time. I don't mean the hijack the thread but I have to ask...Is there any practical use for these? I mean are you using them for home defense? Surely not hunting. Definitely not waterfowl hunting. So is it just for fun?
    Mine is primarily for home defense, but its totally fun to shoot!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Is there any practical use for these?

Yes. Saigas are well suited to personal protection, 3-gun/competition, target shooting, and hunting (see below).

I mean are you using them for home defense?

Yes.

Surely not hunting. Definitely not waterfowl hunting.

Why not? The gun can shoot any type of 12ga ammo you choose to use (slugs, buckshot, birdshot, etc) and can accept chokes. A couple different companies make reduced-capacity magazines for states and/or hunting applications that require such.

rc5699

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    wow there is an incredible amount of information here. Thanks everyone. I'm still reading and absorbing some of it. I think if I saw one that had been converted I'd understand it a lot better.

Smitty and shooter thanks for showing the pre converted Saigas that are avalible. The second one looks like it's had a good conversion done on it. Welded instead of plugged, and refinished, But I hate the furniture on it. I know the pistol grip isn't a problem to change. But what about the T6? Can it be removed and any another stock put in it's place?

More and more DIY is sounding better.

As far as a practical use for it, I dunno since I've never owned one. But I do know it looks like a lot of fun to shoot. That's my main attraction to it. Going out and having some fun with it. And if during the fun of shooting it the gun proves to be as reliable as everyone says they are, it will be come my new home defense shot gun.

Top Bottom