• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I inherited a really nice, older, nickel, Model 36 from my Dad. It was presented to him upon his retirement from the County Sheriff's Department.

I don't practice with it nor do I carry it. I've always struggled to make consistent hits with a snubby. At 7 yards, here are 5 shots using single action and 5 shots using double action. Perhaps my groups would shrink with a little with practice.
    ivRRp0Il.jpg

I've also noticed what a huge difference just one extra inch of barrel makes. Here are 6 single and 6 double action shots from a 3" Model 657, also inherited from my Dad. It is one of my favorite pistols. So, I do practice with and carry it occasionally.
    3bEP3vpl.jpg

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I inherited a really nice, older, nickel, Model 36 from my Dad. It was presented to him upon his retirement from the County Sheriff's Department.

I don't practice with it nor do I carry it. I've always struggled to make consistent hits with a snubby. At 7 yards, here are 5 shots using single action and 5 shots using double action. Perhaps my groups would shrink with a little with practice.
    ivRRp0Il.jpg

I've also noticed what a huge difference just one extra inch of barrel makes. Here are 6 single and 6 double action shots from a 3" Model 657, also inherited from my Dad. It is one of my favorite pistols. So, I do practice with and carry it occasionally.
    3bEP3vpl.jpg
    I would suspect the difference is due to the grips more than to barrel length. A consistent grip is necessary for both single-action and double-action accuracy. Consistency is easier to achieve when the grip fits the hand.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I would suspect the difference is due to the grips more than to barrel length. A consistent grip is necessary for both single-action and double-action accuracy. Consistency is easier to achieve when the grip fits the hand.
    Possibly. The 657 also has better sights and a smoother action.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    5 number serial starts with 91xxx trying to find info...Ok I've found out the 3 screws are actually newer, starting in 1961, so back to the research...
    Speaking of the screws, how do the other two look? I can tell that yoke screw has been removed, which is fairly common as that screw must be taken out to remove the cylinder. That said, they didn’t use the right kind of screwdriver. If the other two look the same, I’d probably remove the side plate for inspection. My first snubby was a Model 60 and the pictures show the before/after. I purchased a 2nd that wouldn’t function due to a backyard trigger job. Now, I won’t purchase one if I can tell the plate screws have been removed. 2C834759-9649-4702-AE79-C625C9366DB2.jpeg

Attachments

• 0C2A1011-4E57-46D5-9F87-A4127B9B80BD.jpeg
      0C2A1011-4E57-46D5-9F87-A4127B9B80BD.jpeg
      172.4 KB · Views: 4

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Another semi range report, found some 158 lead round nose ammo at Kenny's Gun Sales, here in New Albany, took them to the range Friday, and my Chiefs Special loved them! groups were good... The gun seems to love the heavier bullets, so I'll be keeping them on hand...No pictures, sorry

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Just acquired this, I’ve been wanting a Smith J frame for a while, if I’m looking up the serial number right, I think it might be a 1956 manufactured gun, any of you Smith gurus can correct me if I’m wrong, not posting the serial # but if someone has any info I’ll pm… flat latch, hammer mounted firing pin, don’t have original grips, but I like the pachmyr grips. Oh yes, 3 screw side plate…

Nice gun!!!

Top Bottom