• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I am thinking of picking up a new revolver. I can't decide if I want 45acp or 357. I am looking at the 625 or the 627. I would like a 4" barrel, but not sure if the performance center is worth the extra for me. If I have the free time this coming year I would like to do the bowling pin shoots with a revolver. Also be used for target shooting. I have the capability to reload either round and like the idea of the moon clips. Any benifits of one over the other?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Boy, I'm not really sure you could go wrong either way. I've recently become a big revolver fan (as in over the past 6 months), and even in DA, I can't believe how accurate I am from a respectable distance over any of my semi-autos. Not sure I'm a convert, but I have a huge amount of respect now for wheel guns.

I tend to be a little bit of a traditionalist, so I personally would recommend .357, which also allows you to shoot 38 Special. I kid you not, shooting 38 Special out of a respectable wheel gun is, in the words of my 16-year-old son, almost like shooting 22LR! You have a great deal of flexibility with how hot you reload your rounds. Up where I am, I've had really good luck lately finding factory 38 and 357 ammo. Not to get into a caliber debate, but a hot .357 for personal defense is a very, very potent round.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I have a 627 V-comp (5in barrel) and a 627 pro series (4in barrel)

For the money I would suggest the Pro, eight shots with a moonclip reload of 357's is awesome!!

The trigger is slightly better on the PC gun, but only slightly.

The pro series is about $300 cheaper than a PC gun, but, for range and target use the V-comp is hard to beat.

johnnybravo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    State Of Confusion
    I'm with Hopper. You can't go wrong either way.

The moon clips for the 38/357 would cost a little more than the 45 moonclips. But, that cost would be more than offset by the 38/357 brass and bullets being less expensive.
    The 38/357 would be more economical to shoot in the long run.

If you buy new, the action might be a bit stiff at first, as with most new guns, but it will wear in with use.

I have an original model 686 no dash (357) with at least 80,000 target velocity loads through it, and it's still going strong.

fwheadhunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have a PC 627 with 2 5/8" barrel and even that is surprisingly accurate. Love the 8 round wheel, albeit a tad tough to conceal. Agreed with the comments on ammo. Readily available at WalMart, and if you reload, the options are many.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: What's your normal carry rig?

If it's 9mm - thought about one of the new 9mm revolvers from S&W? Those things have really caught my eye, but I doubt I'll ever own one due to cost.

I do have a 686 + 7-shot .357. It's fantastic.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I don't see a problem buy both of them:dunno:
    The 627 8 shot is the most versatile revolver made for competition shooting. It is the gun for USPSA(625 will still work for USPSA but is at a disadvantage against the 8 shot guns IMO) and ICORE/limited and Steel Challenge matches. 8 shots is a advantage for bowling pins unless they make all revolvers only load 6.
    8 shot moonclips are more expensive and fragile than the 6/.45 clips.
    That being said there is something about a 625 and .45 in a revolver that just feels right. Very accurate and if you are accurate enough it will clean a table of pins like nothing.
    Yeah you need both of them.:):
    I have had many Performance Center guns come thru the shop and especially the ones from the last year there is NO action work done on them. They are just like a standard revolver but they have a reduced power ribbed mainspring and reduced power rebound spring.
    PC guns have different barrel profiles and lengths and usually different grips, they usually come with a nice hard case(earlier ones) or a nice gun rug type case.
    PC guns cost more but usually are worth about that same amount more when you sell it.
    Good luck and have fun with the wheelguns.

Last edited:

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I carry a Sig P226 or a Glock 19 on a daily basis. I am wanting to use this for target shooting and possibly bowling pins /FNS. I am leaning towards the 625 but like the idea of the 8-shot 357.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I vote for the 627PC 8 shot. This is my USPSA gun-
    DSCN2624_zpscd6de217.jpg

DSCN2628_zps8bd43502.jpg

DSCN2625_zpsdf5dd7e4.jpg

With a little work done to it by a fellow revo shooter and friend.:cool:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Whoa. I don't smoke, but I think I need a cigarette.

Beautiful revolver, just beautiful. At first I didn't care for the looks of the newer S&W PC tapered underlugs, but it's really growing on me, I like it a lot.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom