• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    The only revolvers I have are a J frame 4" 22 and a 5" 629 and I have no earthly use for it but would still like to have one :)
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Just reading the heading "S&W L Frame 44 Mag!" gave me a.......Uh...Very good feeling down South......:):

Agreed, this may get me back into the .44 caliber. I also like the M&P Bodyguard .380 without the laser. Hated the laser as it was a pain to turn on, added unneeded weight and bulk and was tactically useless.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Might be to much for me so I would go 44 special ammo in it. Most of my
    model 29's were preowned by Dirty Harry fans who fired less than a box of
    full mag ammo and found out it kicked well.

Would be be nice to have the ability to go up to mag level if needed I guess.
    The 44 special remake would have had me also. I just figured it was a special because then it would be special.

HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I carried a 686 - 6in for several years before converting over to Glock. I bought my 686 when the transition occurred. It the 69 44mag L Frame would as nice a trigger, this could be a very interesting handgun. I got out of 44 mag years ago but this could bring about a renewed interest in the caliber.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I like 44 mag. I think it's about the most versatile handgun cartridge for reloaders. I have some 165gr. cast bullets (won at a cowboy match) and you can get bullets > 350gr. That said, I think the L-frame is kind of light for the cartridge. Kind of like the J-frame in .357. I'm guessing those J-frames won't get shot much.

I know when handgun silhouette shooting got started, there were not many specialty guns, so a lot of guys brought out their model 29s. Well, they started having problems. They were not built to take that much shooting and began shooting loose. Before that, most 29 owners probably didn't shoot more than 1 or 2 boxes of ammo thru the gun's entire lifespan. Now they were shooting > 40 rounds per match. The guns did not hold up well. S&W did make some enhancements to sturdy up the guns and I think that helped. With the Redhawk, Super Blackhawk, and Dan Wesson, sturdier 44s became popular with the silhouette crowd as well as several nice single shot pistols shooting rifle cartridges.

My point, besides the history lesson, is that if the model 29 is a little too light for prolonged use of magnum loads, I think an L-frame may be pushing it some. I guess it may fill a niche like the J-frame .357 mag, but I wouldn't shoot much mag ammo out of either.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The non endurance package N frames are prone to trigger pivot breakage (broke my 4" 629-1). Smith fixed it fast and for $5 (back in the day). No more 300 grainers after that (they sucked anyway).

If shooting 240's and under, don't sweat it. if it does break way down the road, Smith will fix it.

The Classic models had the "endurance package" where some parts did not have sharp transitions, instead had radius to alleviate stress. I dunno when non classic models got such "packages".

Old coworker has thousands of barn burner 180gr loads through his 29 6.5", and a bunch of heavier weight stuff too. It has pretty much no forcing cone left, but it still goes bang every time.

I remember reading about how IHMSA stuff was rough on the guns, back in the old days before the rules were changed to have a consistent target set. Folks used to load 'em hot for insurance. The M60 .357 mags have noticeable raidus additions IMHO, external.
    Not sure what all they did to the inside.

Now in IHMSA? My dad knocks over rams consistently with 150's in his 8 3/8" 686 and they aint maxed. He did buy an old 29 10 5/8" mint..................for what I dunno. I think the gun looks like crap. The old Hunter models, non fluted cyl, 6" with full lug and 4 position sight...........are kinda neat ;)

L frame .44 sounds cool, esp if one wants to try shooting it DA. I would prefer the 6 shot capacity of a regular N frame .44, and have it pre lawyer lock or endurance package. I won't run over 240 grainers in it (max'd though). I can't shoot an N frame DA, just doesn't fit my hand/hold. Doesn't bother me, i can shoot fast enough holding right and thumbing left. It's worked well on chucks and deer for years ;)

doublesharp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Clark County
    Too many cool older guns for me to generate much enthusiasm about the new stuff (but as a SWHC shareholder I'm glad to see the interest) :):

Hey Rick, Remember the Bargain Mart? About 10 years ago a guy advertised a S&W .357. I went to see about it and he was all wrong, it was a 696 .44spl and I bought it for the price of a mod 66. :)
    Check out the Spegel round to square conversion grips/w medallions on both the 696 and the 629-4. You don't see them everyday. :D

DSC00953_zps27a8dff0.jpg

Here's a cool .44spl. 396ti. Weighs about 12 oz if I'm remembering right
    DSC01015_zps9843315f.jpg

And this old humpback 296ti 44spl thinks it's a pocket gun.
    DSC00346_zpsafd26809.jpg

44mag 29-2 with an ArticKote finish that thrives at the bottom of the ocean according to the purveyor. ;)
    DSC00062_zpsf64f79db.jpg

And rounding out the big boys is, last but not least, a 44mag pre29 4 screw with cokes. Found this one about 8years ago in the corner of the Salem Natl Guard Armory at Tom Allman's show.
    DSC01453.jpg

bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    I ordered the model 69 on Tuesday January 7th from sandburr gun ranch. I was hoping to get one asap but got the call today Thursday the 9th that Smith&wesson already has the gun on backorder. So if your wanting one of the 69's you might want to get one ordered now.
    Matt

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I worked at a big gunstore at the time these were new, you couldn't give them away then. Now you'd be lucky to see one for sale under 800.00 :dunno:

I hear you. Wish I would have bought a couple model 10's, 15's and others as well back in the day when they were flooding the market for 200.00. Missed out on the Model 10's at Buds this summer. Who would have thought they would have been more than a new SIG in some cases!

Top Bottom