• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt. Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    i own a S&W gun and love it, but dont have any S&W knives.

i was told that they arent made by S&W is this true?

how about the quality? are they any good?

any info would be appreciated

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    If you can find one of the collector knives from the 70s they aren't bad. The knives that are made now are on "ok" knife, if you're not expecting a "good" knife. You get what you pay for. They will break down and dull fairly quickly. They sure are neat looking though. :D

Save your money, buy Spyderco. :rockwoot:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    They are made in china, are very generic, and not very sturdy, and don't take or hold a smooth sharp edge. They are made by the same company that makes most $10 to $20 Chinese knives. However they do work well for me to cut boxes, strip electrical wires, and other basic tasks that I would not want to use a nice knife to do. I have never had one break but the screws are undersized and loosen and sometimes strip when tightening. I still have all the ones I have ever bought, if I knick or chip a blade, 2 passes on a bench grinder and its back in service.

As far as cheap pocket knives go I give them a 7-8 out of ten depending on design, some are badly done.
    As far as something to save your life with or take on a serious outdoor adventure, 3 out of 10. (Watch the movie 127 Hours to learn the importance of quality gear.)

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Being China made you are not paying for quailty but for the S&W name and name only.
    I will say they are on the upper end of China made but not worth the extra money just to have the S&W name on them. :twocents:

mrp010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Granger IN
    I have 2 as well. Not impressed by either. Watch amazon for the specials on kershaw knives. Can get the china made ones for $15. Very nice for the money.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I used to carry a S&W oasis. It was ok but just never got sharp let alone held an edge. I still have it but it's in a drawer and hasn't seen the light of day since I bought a spyderco Endura. I love it, super sharp and easy to sharpen.

You can pick up a really nice edc folder for $75-$100. IMO, it's worth spending the extra money on something that's high quality. It is a potentially life saving tool so I would suggest getting something your comfortable with. I don't think a S&W is that knife.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Smith & Wesson did make their own knives in the late 70s and early 80s. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 6061 clip point lock back new in box in my safe. It is now over 30 years old. The box says "Smith & Wesson a BANGOR PUNTA Company". The knife has rose wood inlays in the handle and a black leather sheath. And, it is for sale...
    rszsmithwessonknife.jpg

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have to wholeheartedly agree with all the comments that modern S&W knives are nothing but made in China junk. Poorly made with cheap metal. I dont know what qualifies as OK as opposed to good. But the China made S&W knives qualify as junk as far as I'm concerned.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Save a little more and you can get something much better. Like stated earlier, they will do basic tasks like cutting boxes or opening packages, but dull quick and don't hold a very good edge.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Save a little more and you can get something much better. Like stated earlier, they will do basic tasks like cutting boxes or opening packages, but dull quick and don't hold a very good edge.

Just for info: If you wanted something to opening packages try Tops Knives TACTICAL NUK, NonMetalic Utility Knife. Would certainly be less maintenance as you would not have to constantly sharpen them. You can buy them two for $12 on eBay.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I have to wholeheartedly agree with all the comments that modern S&W knives are nothing but made in China junk. Poorly made with cheap metal. I dont know what qualifies as OK as opposed to good. But the China made S&W knives qualify as junk as far as I'm concerned.

For me, it was ok because it never broke. But yeah, that's it. :D

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I don't believe Smith and Wesson ever "made" knives.The 1970s S@W knives at least were made by a reputable knife-making company....I see these modern junk S@W knives everywhere and will not buy them at any price.I sell knives,tools,ect. at some of the local flea markets,and I have always noticed that the old guys that can and will buy quality products will not even shop with a vendor that sells a lot of this junk...

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Smith and Wesson first started manufacturing knives in 1974. Smith and Wesson knives used to be manufactured in house, except for a period of time between 1986 & 1993 when Vermont Cutlery Co of West Rutland VT. made knives for Smith and Wesson. Today, Taylor Cutlery makes and sells Smith and Wesson knives. The Current Taylor made S&W knives are manufactured in China.

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Let's be clear about this. Even though S&W knives have the same name as the firearms company, they are not the same company or related to the firearms company in any way other than having the same name. Taylor Cutlery bought the rights to the S&W name (knives/cutlery only). Taylor Cutlery is well known for buying the rights for company names that are well known. Example: The original Schrade company located in NY has been out of business for over 14 years, Taylor Cutlery bought the rights to the Schrade name and the current Schrade knives are not related to the original Schrade company out of NY and are currently being made in China.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    As most of the S&W knives I've seen are going for $10, that statement concerns me about that company.

I sell China made boot knives one name brand being sold for $10 and the other being a S&W boot knife selling for $25. They are almost identical. Why the price difference the S&W knife costs me so much more and why, only because of the name brand not from country of origin.
    Not all S&W knives sell for $10.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    ...Not all S&W knives sell for $10.

I know that. That is why I qualified my statement.

It just really irks me that a name that used to be synonymous with quality, would allow itself to have its name placed on inferior and cheap products.

Top Bottom