Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, the right course of action is political maneuvering that saves as many Ukrainian and Russian lives as possible, while not costing anyone else any lives.

And also not crippling our economy in the process, or future economic prospects with dumb actions like kicking Russia out of SWIFT.
    For power centers within our current government economic destruction to the established order, (further) debauching of the currency and high energy prices are a feature and not a bug. Likewise having a HUGE distraction from how we got here which may be why the war drums are being beaten extra loudly.

Perhaps they hope loyalty to government in the face of an outside threat will save them from ignominious defeat in the midterms. Let's make sure that does not happen

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That would be fine as far as it goes. There needs to come a time, however, when a decision should be made even without perfect information

Have you heard the term 'analysis paralysis'
    I agree that a time comes when you just gotta go with the best information that you have and realize not to trust everything that you see or hear.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How is that even possible?

We aren't talking about thousands of miles here. They're obviously expected to run sorties. They obviously need to RTB to rearm.

There's no way to only supply enough fuel for those things and not give them enough to flee to Poland.
    I was speaking to the supposition that the armored column is out of fuel, with the reference to the Cold War (see 'Soviet') pilots merely used to establish the concept

It wouldn't take much fuel rationing to keep armored vehicles or transporters from conducting unauthorized maneuvers, but your point may have some bearing on why the Russian Air Force has been a non-factor

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I agree that a time comes when you just gotta go with the best information that you have and realize not to trust everything that you see or hear.
    Unfortunately, the time frame left in which to come to a conclusion on Ukraine while it still matters looks to be rather short

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I was speaking to the supposition that the armored column is out of fuel, with the reference to the Cold War (see 'Soviet') pilots merely used to establish the concept

It wouldn't take much fuel rationing to keep armored vehicles or transporters from conducting unauthorized maneuvers, but your point may have some bearing on why the Russian Air Force has been a non-factor

Well, the running out of fuel for ground vehicles was pretty well confirmed to be due to troops discovering what they were actually doing.

They dumped their fuel because they didn't agree with the war, pretending that they ran out.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Holy crap… just watched unarmed Ukraine citizens daring Russians to shoot them! They were mobbing them saying we are Russians like you! Why are you doing this! Go home or die! Go ahead and shoot me! You took everything! Woman screaming at them also. Wow. Russians just taking it. Ya even if Russia takes over it will never be over. How does he save face? Best thing is Russia kills putin and declare peace with a withdrawl.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Will Russia be able to pay the reparations when this is all over? Will there be a "Treaty of Versailles" at the end of this? Seems they already boofed their economy.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Holy crap… just watched unarmed Ukraine citizens daring Russians to shoot them! They were mobbing them saying we are Russians like you! Why are you doing this! Go home or die! Go ahead and shoot me! You took everything! Woman screaming at them also. Wow. Russians just taking it. Ya even if Russia takes over it will never be over. How does he save face? Best thing is Russia kills putin and declare peace with a withdrawl.
    I agree that it will never be over if and when Putin should happen to take over. I would say a vast majority of Ukrainians based on their stiff resistance will despise Putin even more. They don't view him as a righteous liberator.

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Modern special forces kit (NVG, comms) + add a trailer with javelins and make sure they got plenty of fuel, ammo, and batteries...

Stuff that, I wonder how many Toyota crew cab 4x4's are on the market from Afghanistan. (In a shocking twist of history, al Qaeda decided to back the Ukraine including allowing the United States to retrieve working equipment and transporting it there. Didn't see that coming did ya... :{P )

Interesting, what if

4c95bd8e0cc86c18ea7deaecc909806e.jpg

With a 2.5 mile range, the terrain is going to be a factor with the Javelin.

What they need is to be able to feed them drone footage and lock on that way.

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well, the running out of fuel for ground vehicles was pretty well confirmed to be due to troops discovering what they were actually doing.

They dumped their fuel because they didn't agree with the war, pretending that they ran out.

That's a win in my book. Giving the Russian troops amnesty, and money was a shrewd move.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Modern special forces kit (NVG, comms) + add a trailer with javelins and make sure they got plenty of fuel, ammo, and batteries...

Stuff that, I wonder how many Toyota crew cab 4x4's are on the market from Afghanistan. (In a shocking twist of history, al Qaeda decided to back the Ukraine including allowing the United States to retrieve working equipment and transporting it there. Didn't see that coming did ya... :{P )

Interesting, what if

4c95bd8e0cc86c18ea7deaecc909806e.jpg

With a 2.5 mile range, the terrain is going to be a factor with the Javelin.

What they need is to be able to feed them drone footage and lock on that way.
    Lyle Bouck and his Recon Platoon would have had a much less traumatic time - and they might have even knocked off Joachim Peiper in the process.

Then Warner Brothers wouldn't have produced their lousy "Battle of the Bulge" movie that made Ike get up and walk out of the theater.

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Preparation for the direct assault may be underway. TV station taken out.

Oh, they are doing what I do in Civilization all the time, keep your artillery close to where the enemy has to go, protected by good defenses and grind them out. Great defense strategy and why we may not be seeing as much carnage farther from the capital. If your nation depends on the capital surviving then you that's your end game, the capital can't fall.

So far, they've delayed the advance along most lines of attack. Hasn't it generally been that one needs at least 3 to 1 odds to defeat a well entrenched military with technological parity. If the opposing forces aren't following their coordinated marching orders, they have to delay their advance (more time to prepare and harass,) or continue with their leg of the assault (defenders can focus on fewer troops.)

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Lyle Bouck and his Recon Platoon would have had a much less traumatic time - and they might have even knocked Peiper off in the process.

Then Warner Brothers wouldn't have produced their lousy "Battle of the Bulge" movie that made Ike get up and walk out of the theater.

Wow, I thought I knew a lot about the BOTB, and may have some dim recollection of going over that in college. Interestingly, the professor who taught that history class was an air traffic guy in Germany during the Berlin Airlift. Then I had a computer science teacher who was on the team that developed ADA.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I don't know d!ck about battle damage assessment... that vehicle that was totaled don't look like a typical artillery shell. Looks like the doors got sucked in. Thermo Strike from GRAD???

Russia's advance on Kyiv has made little progress in the past 24 hours due to logistical difficulties, with the army increasing its use of artillery north of the capital, a British military intelligence update said.

"The Russian advance on Kyiv has made little progress over the past 24 hours, probably as a result of continuing logistical difficulties," the British defense ministry said in a military intelligence update.

"Russian forces have increased their use of artillery north of Kyiv and in [the] vicinities of Kharkiv and Chernihiv. The use of heavy artillery in densely populated urban areas greatly increases the risk of civilian casualties," it said.

"Russia has failed to gain control of the airspace over Ukraine, prompting a shift to night operations in an attempt to reduce their losses."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom