• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheenerbean

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I only own one, as I'm more of an AK guy, but the one I got was from Atlantic Firearms. They specialize in AKs but also have a pretty nice AR selection. I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but they do have a lay-a-way option if you didn't want to drop all the money at once. They usually have some sales going on. I think they have a Bushmaster for right around $700, which I felt was a decent price.

Also check, Palmetto State Armory. If you'd be interested in building your own you can usually build a decent entry platform for $600 or even cheaper if they have sales.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I have a DB 15. The gun is multi caliber, .223/5.56. Mine works flawlessly with .223 not so much with 5.56.
    I have shot hundreds of rounds with a Slide Fire stock thru the gun.
    I bought mine at WM at 18% of what WM paid for it. The price is what brought my attention to the gun and I have been happy with the performance of it.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i'd go Palmetto State Armory. They have rifle kits for $389+ depending on options. With a single stripped lower going for around $70-90, you can have a full rifle for under $500.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I picked up my Ruger AR-556 for $569 if you're looking for a reliable company providing a great entry level gun. The S&W M&P Sport II is also a great bargain. Ive seen them around the same price as the Ruger. Pick your poison.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If I were currently looking for a rifle, the following is what I'd be looking at priced lowest to highest. All will be good dependable rifles.

Best gun in the lowest price range - Aero Precision OEM for $559. Throw on a stock for $40 and handguard of your choice for $50-200 depending on what you want. Tack on FFL transfer fee for $15, and you're in business for $664. And it actually has a good BCG and barrel.

Next step up - PSA premium. You can get a PSA premium rifle kit for $550-600, and build it on a PSA or Aero lower for another $50-75.

Next step up - Spikes ST-15. $700-800. Pretty much mil-spec. They're nice, but come with extra Spikes snake oil. They're also almost always out of stock for some reason.

Next step up - Colt 6920. You can get a 6920-oem for right at $750ish. Tack on a $40 stock, $50-200 handguard, $8 trigger guard, and a $15 FFL transfer, and you're in business for $863. And it's the definition of mil-spec. You won't ever NEED anything else.

Next step up - BCM. Get a BCM complete lower for $380 (or blems are $330), snap it together with a BCM upper for $570. $950 total.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    well the rural king diamond back that I saw needs to go back to the factory, factory carbine handguard would fit, but any other wont!, when he told me it was jamming I looked at the feed ramps, they didn't match up, it looked like someone put a m4 bbl on a standard (non m4) bbl extension BUT it was a m4 extension and bbl!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    They were on sale a few weeks ago at RK and I ordered one. Unfortunately I haven't been to the range with it yet.

DriverAndrew

Marksman
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jul 10, 2015
    Columbus
    The fact that you're asking the question, and the fact that others are recommending other brands of budget guns, might suggest waiting on the DB until there's a greater body of experience with that brand.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    They've been on the market long enough. If they were good, you'd hear about them.

The fact that you're asking the question, and the fact that others are recommending other brands of budget guns, might suggest waiting on the DB until there's a greater body of experience with that brand.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    If they make them to the quality of their DB9s, then I'd make a hard pass.

I have a DB 15. The gun is multi caliber, .223/5.56. Mine works flawlessly with .223 not so much with 5.56.

Just out of curiosity, can I ask what kind of issues you experienced with 5.56 ammo? Perhaps they're actually using a .223 reamer?

If I were currently looking for a rifle, the following is what I'd be looking at priced lowest to highest. All will be good dependable rifles.

Best gun in the lowest price range - Aero Precision OEM for $559. Throw on a stock for $40 and handguard of your choice for $50-200 depending on what you want. Tack on FFL transfer fee for $15, and you're in business for $664. And it actually has a good BCG and barrel.

Next step up - PSA premium. You can get a PSA premium rifle kit for $550-600, and build it on a PSA or Aero lower for another $50-75.

Next step up - Spikes ST-15. $700-800. Pretty much mil-spec. They're nice, but come with extra Spikes snake oil. They're also almost always out of stock for some reason.

Next step up - Colt 6920. You can get a 6920-oem for right at $750ish. Tack on a $40 stock, $50-200 handguard, $8 trigger guard, and a $15 FFL transfer, and you're in business for $863. And it's the definition of mil-spec. You won't ever NEED anything else.

Next step up - BCM. Get a BCM complete lower for $380 (or blems are $330), snap it together with a BCM upper for $570. $950 total.

I completely agree here. While I'm a huge BCM fan, I recently picked up a few Aero Precision lowers from Brownells and was very impressed with their fit and finish. PSA also has a solid reputation..... as long as you aren't in a hurry to get your order.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I've tried all brand name 5.56 ammo and Magpul magazines. I might go 90 rounds without a hiccup then a FTF. 99% of the time it is a FTF issue. On 2 occasions the FTF was bad enough to force the bullet into the casing.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of Aero receivers. Their uppers and lowers are sold at a really really good price, and their machining on the forgings is every bit as good as anyone else. Plus, you can get a matched forged upper/lower from them for $120-150, and the fit on every set I've got from them has been perfect.

The one person that didn't have excellent fit with one of their matched set that I have read about, Aero shipped their receiver back to them, and matched it up with a new upper. I appreciate customer service like that.

I completely agree here. While I'm a huge BCM fan, I recently picked up a few Aero Precision lowers from Brownells and was very impressed with their fit and finish. PSA also has a solid reputation..... as long as you aren't in a hurry to get your order.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm a huge fan of Aero receivers. Their uppers and lowers are sold at a really really good price, and their machining on the forgings is every bit as good as anyone else. Plus, you can get a matched forged upper/lower from them for $120-150, and the fit on every set I've got from them has been perfect.

The one person that didn't have excellent fit with one of their matched set that I have read about, Aero shipped their receiver back to them, and matched it up with a new upper. I appreciate customer service like that.

Plus, my lowers came with an upper / lower fit adjustment screw. I assume they all do now as I don't think there was anything special about the ones I bought. I think I paid around $60 for each of them. Not bad at all for that price!!!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The new gen2 forged receivers come with the adjustment screw to remove any slop/rattle between the upper/lower. Mine are all gen1.

With the adjustment screw, it makes me wonder if they're hand picking their receiver sets to get the tightest fit anymore (I have no idea if they are or aren't, but it seems like with the adjustment screw a true matched set isn't really needed to get rid of receiver rattle). My gen1's are really nicely fit and wouldn't benefit from an adjustment screw. I'd be interested to hear from someone with a gen2 set if the set is as nicely fit with the screw backed out.

Either way, you get a heck of a lot for your dollar with them. They're the only receivers I buy now.

Plus, my lowers came with an upper / lower fit adjustment screw. I assume they all do now as I don't think there was anything special about the ones I bought. I think I paid around $60 for each of them. Not bad at all for that price!!!

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008

Thanks for typing what I was thinking, seems we agree quite a bit on things like this.

The new gen2 forged receivers come with the adjustment screw to remove any slop/rattle between the upper/lower. Mine are all gen1.

With the adjustment screw, it makes me wonder if they're hand picking their receiver sets to get the tightest fit anymore (I have no idea if they are or aren't, but it seems like with the adjustment screw a true matched set isn't really needed to get rid of receiver rattle). My gen1's are really nicely fit and wouldn't benefit from an adjustment screw. I'd be interested to hear from someone with a gen2 set if the set is as nicely fit with the screw backed out.

Either way, you get a heck of a lot for your dollar with them. They're the only receivers I buy now.
    I have two stripped gen 2 lowers, I pulled one out of the box and checked it with the fit on my aero upper, and it was tight. Obviously I couldn't get the leverage I can with a grip on the lower, but they are still nice quality. The upper and lower were not a match set either.

I also broke a barrel nut wrench for their M4E1 upper. Emailed them, they asked for a picture to confirm, then sent a new one to me free of charge.

I've become a big fan of Aero lately. They are my go to more so than PSA these days.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I think their receivers are a step up from PSA.

Their barrels are BA barrels. They're very nice. Maybe not quite as nice as the PSA CHF's, but still great for what you pay.

Their BCG's.....They claim mil-spec. PSA's are from Toolcraft. I have no idea on the PSA's.

I've become a big fan of Aero lately. They are my go to more so than PSA these days.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette

Actually last weekend, I mated a built up Aero Gen 2 lower with a BCM factory upper. The fit was right on the money. I did not use the tension adjustment screw at all. I just left it loose since it's captured on both ends.

Top Bottom