• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    So to make a long story short, I bought one (Love it!:D). The barrel caught my eye after putting it all together etc.

It was double stamped. At first I did not know what nor how the 8 got there but now I know it is the 1:8 twist of the barrel.

So I contacted the seller, they of course said they do not sell 'QC' questionable firearms and to contact Ruger. So I did and they of course wanted to get their hands on it. I however bought it to go shooting with my son before he leaves.

So we shot it yesterday and yes it is the most accurate AR I have, bar none. Nice shooter but one with an ugly barrel.

Here is the email trail with Ruger (edited by me for names)

Well I went and shot it with my son yesterday among many. He did not even want to shoot his M&P AR, so we put 100+ rounds through the SR556VT weapon with no issues. It is as advertised, a very accurate AR15 at both 50 and 100 yards (about the limit of these old eyes). I do not know what needs to be thoroughly inspected about it. It was stamped twice and I have now figured out what the 8 is for. It is a 1:8 twist rifle barrel and that has to be stamped on it. So what I guess happened was a cosmetic error, nothing more. I am not sending the gun out unless there is a reason to and the cosmetic double stamping is actually a good conversation piece. It puzzled those who saw it on how that could get trough QC and as a long term Ruger stockholder, I am a bit puzzled by this reaction from Ruger. I own quite a few Ruger firearms which is why I have stock in them.

I guess a new barrel would be what y'all would propose, but why is it worth the hassle to me to even do it?

I guess the important part is that I notified the seller, then the manufacturer, and now maybe steps can be taken to not let it happen anymore. It doesn't bode well in the QC department.

Below is what the issue is, no thorough inspection is needed unless Ruger can give me a good reason why.....

download

To: E
    Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2016 12:53 PM
    Subject: RE: SR-556 VT

Once your firearm has been thoroughly inspected, your options will be determined at that time.

Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 5:39 PM
    To: 'Ruger'
    Subject: Re: SR-556 VT

I am a bit confused. An inspection of the firearm is not really needed as this does not affect the functionality of the Firearm. It is an cosmetic thing only. I bought the firearm so my son could shoot it with me before he heads back to the Air Force and tomorrow is the only day that can happen.

I guess I can send it back after we shoot it. Can you explain what an inspection will do other than confirm what the pictures show?

E

Sent: Wednesday, August 3, 2016 3:21 PM
    Subject: RE: SR-556 VT

Dear E:

One of our technicians reviewed the photos. We can have your firearm come in to our factory for inspection.
    If you are at home on a regular basis you may contact us for a return authorization and we can schedule a UPS pick up at your home.
    Unfortunately, UPS does not give a particular time, so someone must be available all day for pick up.
    You may reach us at 336-949-5200 and choose option 2 and option 2 again for the AR-556. Any representative can assist you.
    If you are not at home on a regular basis you may take the firearm to a local dealer and have them contact us for a return authorization.

Thank you,

'Ruger'

Sent: Monday, August 01, 2016 5:43 PM
    To: 'Ruger'
    Subject: Re: SR-556 VT

Here is my receipt and serial # per your request.

What are your thoughts?:ingo: Send it back or just keep it. I would think Ruger would want their hands on this as it is not a good conversation piece for them or the QC controls for sure....:noway:

xrug5914_10.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6zGsbCyi9N.webp

Attachments

• SR566_VT003.jpg
      SR566_VT003.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 103
    Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm sure Ruger would like to figure out just why it happened to prevent future error. Sending it back helps them but does little for you.

I guess it's all up to how charitable you feel like being to the folks at Ruger. They'd probably stick a new barrel on, but you sound like you don't want that.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    That is probably what I will do, I however am pissed at the cost. Would you pay full price for a Scratch and Dent Washing Machine?

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Update:
    X <X@Ruger.com>
    Today at 3:06 PM[FONT=&amp]Message body

E,
    You contacted us with questions about your rifle. After reviewing the photos, we suggested you send the rifle in for inspection and evaluation to make sure the rifle is safe. Since you have recently fired the rifle with no malfunction, there is no reason to send your rifle in to us, if you are happy with the performance. We hope you continue to enjoy your rifle.
    Thank you,

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]To: x <x@Ruger.com>[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    I contacted you with questions about the quality control of the barrel and how you could let something like that out of your factory. I said from the beginning it was a cosmetic issue but paying that kind of money for a rifle with that kind of eyesore is not very good don't you think?
    E
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
    Updated email to Ruger...[FONT=&amp].

Now that I am not driving I can respond with more detail.

I do not see what good it will do ME to send it to Ruger, other than to help Ruger determine the reason for the goof in the first place. I just wish that was what was said instead of inspections for safety etc. I said from the get-go that is was cosmetic.

So that begs the question, I paid over $1000 for that rifle. I paid a 'premium' for the Ruger name. I got a scratch and dent model is the way I see it. At no cost to me other than a lot of hassle you will get the rifle and have the barrel changed. That is all fine and dandy, good customer service I guess.

Unhappy Stockholder here.....

More proper response could have been, "Mr. E we do not know how such a mistake could have been made, and thank you for bringing it to our attention. Please send the Rifle in and we can either replace the barrel or the entire firearm at our expense if that is what you want, your choice.. We would not like to see this quality control anomaly out in the wild as it would be bad for our image as I am sure you could understand. These are our High End Rifles and although mistakes can be made, we want to minimize them in the future. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you both your time and heartburn. Thank you for buying Ruger firearms."

Instead I get "there is no reason to send your rifle in to us, if you are happy with the performance. We hope you continue to enjoy your rifle". Nothing said about the eyesore markings on a premium Ruger rifle sold at full price...

Ok, as I have said this is a bit of a conversation piece already, and a lot of folks are a bit surprised at Ruger's response......

E
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I like the thought but I just cant do that. Right now I am just pissed but getting over it as this rifle now has a story....

You're just gonna scuff it up using it. ESPECIALLY since its a tack driver. So look at it that way.

If this were a display piece or a gift you would have every reason to be pissed. But its a tool. And apparently a VERY good working tool. So enjoy the well made tool you have.

Tell ya what, I'll trade you my pristine frankenrifle that I'm not sure is very accurate (could be user error) for your scratch and dent. Will that make you feel better?
    :):

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    If this were a display piece or a gift you would have every reason to be pissed. But its a tool. And apparently a VERY good working tool. So enjoy the well made tool you have. :):

Fair enough and that is the way I am heading but I think they should do something, not sure what but full price for it is not right. The seller got their profit as did Ruger and they got theirs also with a sub par product is all. Its the principle I think..

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Is the OP for real? I mean, you got a bargin if said rifle is truly a "tack driver". Post up some groups with it. If it holds 3/4 moa or better consistently and it was a little over $1000 then you shouldn't worry about a cosmetic blem on the barrel

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Is the OP for real? I mean, you got a bargin if said rifle is truly a "tack driver". Post up some groups with it. If it holds 3/4 moa or better consistently and it was a little over $1000 then you shouldn't worry about a cosmetic blem on the barrel

Fair enough, Tack Driver to me and to others are not mutually inclusive at all. My eyes suck.

556.jpg

Nonetheless, best shooting I could do with an AR with Wolf Brass.

So should I be mad about paying full price for a cosmetically defective rifle? I say yes, you say no..

Ok

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Ok, so I'm a bit confused, so please forgive me if I misunderstood something. You bought a rifle with what appears to clearly be a noticeable cosmetic defect. You notified Ruger, and they started the CS process to address it. You refused to send it and decided to shoot it, discovering it shot exceptionally well. They gave in and said fine, keep it if you want. Ruger now still owes you something? Their last email said "...if you are happy with the performance." That implies they would still take care of you if you are not happy. Why don't you give them a try? I've found Ruger CS to be the best of any firearm manufacturer in the business.

I do get the frustration with the defect in the first place. I'm sure you know, though, that even the best gun makers, both mass production and custom, have customer service programs in place, because there is no such thing as perfection. (Sorry Glock.)

Based on what I've seen and experienced, I'd still bet that Ruger would make it right if you sent it to them, even after you chose to shoot the rifle.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    No you basically got it right. I had to shoot it as that is why I bought it as my son was home. It just seems that they want to get the rifle at their costs I grant, and then 'fix' it. So I am out my rifle for a few weeks (not that big a deal) but I have spent time, my time addressing something that should never have left the factory..period. I love Ruger, own stock since $13 so I really like them wink wink but I am a bit bewildered with their reaction. We need to look at it , here is a UPS number stay home so they can pick it up or drop it off at a dealer and we will look at it.

It is meant to be a tack driver, its a Heavy Barrel Varmint version. Like I said, go buy a new car...get it home and find a big cosmetic issue and just say well it runs as intended...no worries that I paid full price......I mean this is why there are scratch and dent sales folks.

jasonh31

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    North Manchester
    Yeah this rifle is meant to be used its not a display piece. Cars and guns are not the same when it comes to cosmetics. If I was ruger I would say to bad because you shot it already.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Yeah this rifle is meant to be used its not a display piece. Cars and guns are not the same when it comes to cosmetics. If I was ruger I would say to bad because you shot it already.

I guess that's my point. I'd bet Ruger would still make it right, even though it has been shot. That's how good they are. As far as the "stay at home" thing, they are going as far as they can to make this easy. They can't control UPS. Stay at home, they'll pick it up there. If you can't, take it to the dealer. They have nothing else they can reasonably offer. I guess I still don't understand the frustration with Ruger.

Shoot it and forget about it or send it to them. What other choice is there? Want them to send cash and an apology? They'd still have to inspect the rifle.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    No you basically got it right. I had to shoot it as that is why I bought it as my son was home. It just seems that they want to get the rifle at their costs I grant, and then 'fix' it. So I am out my rifle for a few weeks (not that big a deal) but I have spent time, my time addressing something that should never have left the factory..period. I love Ruger, own stock since $13 so I really like them wink wink but I am a bit bewildered with their reaction. We need to look at it , here is a UPS number stay home so they can pick it up or drop it off at a dealer and we will look at it.

It is meant to be a tack driver, its a Heavy Barrel Varmint version. Like I said, go buy a new car...get it home and find a big cosmetic issue and just say well it runs as intended...no worries that I paid full price......I mean this is why there are scratch and dent sales folks.

Did you expect them to bend over backwards just because you have a few shares of ruger stock? Doubt they would do that unless your a warren buffet kind of guy, if it shoots good I wouldn't let them touch it

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Did you expect them to bend over backwards just because you have a few shares of ruger stock? Doubt they would do that unless your a warren buffet kind of guy, if it shoots good I wouldn't let them touch it

That is what I love about this place, true opinions. Maybe I do not agree with them but they are heart felt for sure.

Yes - being a stockholder SHOULD make a difference, as I invest in their product AND their company. Truthfully they should treat all customers the same, not treat stockholders different but hey I feel special because of it as I took a change to invest in them.

Yeah it is not meant to be beautiful....Tell you what, if my Blackhawk barrel looked that bad they would have it back. That is a show piece that I shoot.

Guess I am different then, paid good monies for an AR from a 'premium' company and got something that slipped out of QC and looks like crap. I am sure you guys would not mind if your Kimber finish was bad.

Remember - Hi-point will take it, fix it, and send an extra mag for your troubles.....

Ruger offered nothing like that, just send it in so we can see if it is a factory issue with NO and I mean NO inclination of what the possibilities could be.

Hate to disagree but I do, none of you would buy that rifle off of me for full price (un-shot). You would expect an adjustment for the cosmetic anomaly.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Ruger won't offer anything until they see it and confirm it. That's wise. One of my Rugers that had to be fixed was sent back fixed perfectly with two new magazines and a Ruger hat. Why don't you give them a try? They never promised me any of that and I never asked for it. You are condemning them when you haven't given them a chance.

That' isn't just my experience. They do this kind of thing all the time. They are known for it. I think it is unfair to knock them before you've given them a chance. Just my 2 cents.

While I think they'd surprise you and would take care of it, because you went ahead and shot it, I also think it would be perfectly right for them to just check it for function and if safe, send it back. I'm pretty confident they'd do better than that, though, again, from experience and from what I've seen them do for others.

I'm glad you got a good shooter, though. I'd be inclined to keep what I know to be a tack driver. I've had a couple really nice looking AR's that were not as accurate as yours.

Last edited:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Ruger won't offer anything until they see it and confirm it. That's wise. One of my Rugers that had to be fixed was sent back fixed perfectly with two new magazines and a Ruger hat. Why don't you give them a try? They never promised me any of that and I never asked for it. You are condemning them when you haven't given them a chance.

What is to confirm? Can one not see it in the picture? Its plain as day.

I understand and expect nothing less from Ruger, hence owning stock in the company (disclaimer also S&W @ $5)

That' isn't just my experience. They do this kind of thing all the time. They are known for it. I think it is unfair to knock them before you've given them a chance. Just my 2 cents.

I guess you are right, but I thought the response was generic. It could have been better.

While I think they'd surprise you and would take care of it, because you went ahead and shot it, I also think it would be perfectly right for them to just check it for function and if safe, send it back. I'm pretty confident they'd do better than that, though, again, from experience and from what I've seen them do for others.

I guess I am impatient but I was not going to send it back before we shot it, that is the main reason I got it and it will be another year before he is back.

I'm glad you got a good shooter, though. I'd be inclined to keep what I know to be a tack driver. I've had a couple really nice looking AR's that were not as accurate as yours.

Oh I am a crappy shooter (Bad eyes). It is supposed to be a tack driver, hence the VT Stainless Heavy Barrel version... I bet a good shot could make that 50 yard target at 100 or better, just not me.

I guess I will keep it but I have another email to them. Monday I will get an answer.....

Top Bottom