• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    So I just recently turned 21 and I am really liking the Ruger P94 in .40 S&W for my first handgun. However, I've also seen a model P944, and I was wondering if there are any significant differences. I watched a couple of youtube reviews on it, but I wanted to double check. The one said that the P944 has a decocker, implying that the P94 doesnt... Is that the only difference, or are there any others? Thanks for the info. :)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So I just recently turned 21 and I am really liking the Ruger P94 in .40 S&W for my first handgun. However, I've also seen a model P944, and I was wondering if there are any significant differences. I watched a couple of youtube reviews on it, but I wanted to double check. The one said that the P944 has a decocker, implying that the P94 doesnt... Is that the only difference, or are there any others? Thanks for the info. :)

I think the 944 is the current model of the P94 so it's the newest one with
    probably some small update or different frame material, etc.
    the 944 is showing as the current on the Ruger site.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I think the 944 is the current model of the P94 so it's the newest one with
    probably some small update or different frame material, etc.
    the 944 is showing as the current on the Ruger site.

Ok thanks, I think that pretty much answers my question. I was partly confused because I've seen the P94 on gunbroker in 9mm, and I thought the P94 was only in .40. I guess when I go to buy it I'll just have to check if that model has the decocker.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Ok thanks, I think that pretty much answers my question. I was partly confused because I've seen the P94 on gunbroker in 9mm, and I thought the P94 was only in .40. I guess when I go to buy it I'll just have to check if that model has the decocker.

The 9mm in the P-series is the P-95. The listing you saw must've been an error. I own a P-95. If you donpt mind a chunky grip, you can't go wrong. I'm sure the .40 versions are just as good.
    Heck the US just armed the Iraqi police with 5k P-95's.

The P-944 should serve you well.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    My first semi auto pistol was a P95DC. Basically a 9mm version of your P94 with a polymer frame. It shot as well as I could, fed EVERYTHING factory made without a single hiccup, and was built like a sherman tank.

I've heard reports of marginal accuracy in the p series by folks who are good enough to notice, but that the P345 is supposed to be an anomaly of that and a surprisingly accurate gun. I can't comment on that, only that my Ruger P series went boom every time the trigger was pulled.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    The 9mm in the P-series is the P-95. The listing you saw must've been an error. I own a P-95. If you donpt mind a chunky grip, you can't go wrong. I'm sure the .40 versions are just as good.

Do you knowif the P-944 is the first model that they manufactured with a decocker?

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    The P94 was a 9mm that is now discontinued and the P944 is the .40 s&w version. The P94 was originally introduced as a compact version of the P89. The P944's still only say P94 on the slide. It's just the tooling was never updated. Not that it makes a real big difference, but if you're going for a P944 (fine pistols they are) you may want to find a newer version that uses the camblock design instead of the 1911 style link. It was designed to be more robust for the battering of the .40 as compared to the 9mm and is supposed to make the frame last longer. You can tell which is which easily by the camblock version has a little black square just behind the slide stop.

I think the P-series are great guns for the money and I know I will be chastised for saying this, but for how much more a Sig costs, I personally don't think your getting that much more gun... Just my thoughts anyway....

Last edited:

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    I believe all the early P series (P90, P93, P94, P95 & P97) were available as decocker model or manual safety models. After the P97 ended in around '03, they switched all the new production over to manual safety models (which also have the decocker feature but the lever detents down in 'safe' and will need to be moved back to 'fire' whereas the straight decocker models, the lever was spring loaded and returned to the 'fire' position and relied strictly on the trigger block safety).

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

The P94 was/is available in both 9mm and .40 S&W. I used to own one in 9mm. Good, solid, reliable gun, as all the P series pistols are.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i agree the ruger p series will do you well. my first handgun was a p95 and i still have it. it is a bit bulky for me to carry since i now have many more to choose from, but for the money it is a great gun and built like a tank. good luck and keep us posted when you get it.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I'm sure any P Series will serve you well. I've got a KP345 that I've had about 6 months now, and love it. As for the accuracy comment I can't say as I've not fired any other P pistols, and I'm far from a crack shot. In 300 rounds I've had 1 FTF, I've only used UMC FMJ 230gr rounds. I don't expect anymore as it's just now "Worn In" IMO. Not the cheapest thing to shoot in the world, but alot of fun. Congrats on you're purchase, whenever and whatever it may be.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    My first handgun was a P89, bought off a firearms instructor. I paid $450 for the gun, 3 holsters, several pre-ban magazines (during the AWB:rolleyes:), and some other assorted kit - a healthy price but not a complete ripoff. I have no idea of its lifetime round count (many thousands, surely), but I put about 1500 rounds down the barrel before it just gave up. Over the course of 500 rounds or so it went from decent groupings to spraying rounds everywhere. I thought it was me, but I got worse the more I practiced. I even took it back to the instructor who sold it to me for him to try it and he could barely keep the shots on the paper. Knowing what I know now I would have started by replacing the barrel, and maybe a trip to a decent 'smith for a once-over, but I couldn't see the benefit to dumping hundreds into an old low priced gun. I ended up replacing it with a Sig P220.

I can't say anything bad about the Ruger. It was reliable, controllable, decent ergonomics, and accurate enough for a beginner, but I'd question used offerings carefully. It may have just been mine that went bad so quickly, but I'd be leery of high-round count Rugers if I were to purchase another.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My first handgun was a P89, bought off a firearms instructor. I paid $450 for the gun, 3 holsters, several pre-ban magazines (during the AWB:rolleyes:), and some other assorted kit - a healthy price but not a complete ripoff. I have no idea of its lifetime round count (many thousands, surely), but I put about 1500 rounds down the barrel before it just gave up. Over the course of 500 rounds or so it went from decent groupings to spraying rounds everywhere. I thought it was me, but I got worse the more I practiced. I even took it back to the instructor who sold it to me for him to try it and he could barely keep the shots on the paper. Knowing what I know now I would have started by replacing the barrel, and maybe a trip to a decent 'smith for a once-over, but I couldn't see the benefit to dumping hundreds into an old low priced gun. I ended up replacing it with a Sig P220.

I can't say anything bad about the Ruger. It was reliable, controllable, decent ergonomics, and accurate enough for a beginner, but I'd question used offerings carefully. It may have just been mine that went bad so quickly, but I'd be leery of high-round count Rugers if I were to purchase another.

At that round count, some copper solvent down the barrel and a new recoil spring may have been beneficial.

Customgod227

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I own a P94 and i think it is a very nice weapon. It was also my first handgun. Its a bit bulky, but extremely reliable. Its a Ruger P94, it did not mention anything about the "DeCocker" but it does have a decocker, which is a feature that i enjoy.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    At that round count, some copper solvent down the barrel and a new recoil spring may have been beneficial.

I'll have to keep that in mind for later. Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm going to look around at the 1500 in March and see what I can find that I really like, I'll post pics of my purchase then.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    The P944 is the current model. Both it and the P94 say P94 on the side.

I looked at this gun and while it seems fine, Ruger only produces 10 round magazines for it and I could not find any larger aftermarket mags.

This is an awfully big gun to only carry 10 rounds with and even though you might be able to find bigger mags, they will likely be used and the supply will be unreliable.

The P-95 or SR9 might a be a better choice if you want a Ruger. They carry more bullets, weighs less and are cheaper. If you want a .40 caliber, there are several excellent choices other than the P944.

Top Bottom